Stay at Home Moms

Popcorn: When Can Kids Have it?

Speaking of Snacks... at what age does popcorn become an appropriate snack?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Popcorn: When Can Kids Have it?

• If you are thinking for Jackson, I would think he could by now.  I know Elliot was, but he never had a problem with choking on foods and I know some kids do.
  • I am nervous and have yet to give my almost-3 year old popcorn.  If it was given to us at a party or something I'd probably let her have some but I wouldn't make it for her at home.

I am sure she would be fine a this age though, I just see no reason to give it to her yet I guess.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I started giving DD#3 popcorn about the same age as Jackson. I did it very cautiously though. I was worried about the choking but she seemed to never have a problem with it.
  • We love popcorn in this house :)

I started giving it to DD around a year old.  I would sort through and only give her the fluffy, properly popped pieced without any tough kernels.

• Here's a NYT story about popcorn (among other things) and kids: https://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/25/health/25choke.html?pagewanted=all

We almost never have popcorn, so DD hasn't tried it. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickerscharlatti's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Hank eats it once per week as a snack.  We air pop popcorn and add some of his non-dairy butter.  He likes to relax with his favorite movie (right now it's Cars), and have a little popcorn.

Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I gave my DS popcorn at about 12 months.  I watch him while he eats it, he can't run around with it. It still makes me nervous he might find a kernel and choke, so I just keep an eye on him.  No problems to far.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BFP-4/3/11 Natural m/c 4/26/11 @ 7wks 3days BFP- 8/3/11 9week u/s no heartbeat, baby measured 8 weeks D&C 9/16/11
  • imageKateB1984:

The problem with popcorn is that kids don't just choke on it, they accidentally inhale it (so the really fluffy light bits are the worst). And there's not really anything you can do to get it out. A family friend was an ambulance attendant and said he would never be able to forget tragic calls he got for hotdogs, whole grapes and popcorn.

DS1 was about 3.5 when he started having popcorn. DS2 hasn't had it.

It sounds silly, but I've read about how dangerous popcorn can be, so we've avoided it so far (oldest DD is 2 yrs 8 months).  Those light fluffy pieces are the problem, and the careless, excited way my kids eat makes me not want to give it to them anytime soon.  Whole grapes are another thing they will never eat as long as I'm in charge.  :)   

BabyFruit Ticker On our way to 3 under 4! DD1 1/22/09 DD2 7/16/10 Baby Boy Due This Summer!
  • imageKateB1984:

The problem with popcorn is that kids don't just choke on it, they accidentally inhale it (so the really fluffy light bits are the worst). And there's not really anything you can do to get it out. A family friend was an ambulance attendant and said he would never be able to forget tragic calls he got for hotdogs, whole grapes and popcorn.

DS1 was about 3.5 when he started having popcorn. DS2 hasn't had it.

You are SO right!!!  I heard the same thing about popcorn being dangerous because it can be inhaled.  I also cut grapes and hotdogs really well.  I still halve grapes for my almost 3 yr old DD.  Those things make me so nervous.

My parents heard on their scanner a couple weeks ago, a 16 month old choked on a hotdog and stopped breathing.  This was like at 9:30 at night too!

• What kills me is when people say that they are right there with the kid, so they are not worried about it.  The very problem with popcorn is that it often cannot be dislodged when a child chokes on it.  And the PP is correct that the issue is inhalation of the light fluffy pieces.  Think about the way popcorn gums up and sticks to the moist surfaces on the inside of your mouth.  You simply cannot Heimlich a fluffy piece of popcorn out of a kid.  I refuse to be one of the parents in the horror stories I have read who thought it was no big deal.  DS won't have it until at least 3, if not 4. 
  • Very good points.  I think we'll hold off for a few years.
  • Gisele just started eating it this year-

I never had an issue of whole grapes as much- she chews them REALLY well. And I half them for Chase- with the skin on and he is fine.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • No popcorn in this house yet. I'm waiting till Ben is at least 5 years old. Call me crazy but I'm just way too worried about it.
  • Just wanted to add that DD had popcorn the first time ever last night at a football game.  It was just funny because we were just talking about it on here and then my parents asked if she could try it and I was like ummmmmm okay.  She liked it but didn't eat too much.  I probably still won't give it to her for awhile unless a situation like that pops up.
  • I'm waiting until at least 3. I used to be an RN on a surgical unit of a Children's Hospital and cared for many a child who had to have popcorn surgically extracted from their esophagus. Not worth the risk.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"