Food Allergy

So glad I was there and thinking about homeschooling.

There are several kids is DS1's class that have nut allergies. Notes have been sent home telling parents that they can't send in anything that may contain peanuts. Last week the teacher asked parents to send in fruit loops and apples for activities.

This week I was in there volunteering. When I got there a sub was there for the morning but said the teacher asked me to divide fruit loops to practice patterns. Halfway through I glanced at the box and noticed that they pay contain peanuts and tree nuts.  I threw them all away and cleaned the area where I was working. I was telling the sub and then I started to ask her about the kids with allergies. Apprently she knew that some kids have allergies but not who, what to look for, or what to do if someone had a reaction.

I'm really pissed about this. I'm also pissed that the teacher didn't check the label. Everything was fine and I offered to go out and buy a safe brand of fruit loops. It just really bothers me that I, the volunteer, was the one to catch the mistake. I don't know how bad the allergies are but if I hadn't been there it could have been really bad. DS1 doesn't have any allergies but DS2 has several and if I let him will be going to this school. It's things like this that make me want to homeschool.

I had a long talk with the teacher about all of this and how dangerous of a mistake this was. Is there anything else I should do?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: So glad I was there and thinking about homeschooling.

• scary! 

I hope the parents of the students with the allergies are on top of the teachers.  I don't think some parents are stern enough.  And unfortunately it takes a bad accident for some schools to make changes.  I would be calling, writing letters, gathering meetings just so i know everyone is on board.

• Wow, that's crazy. Was it a generic brand? Regular Fruit Loops do not have that warning (and I just double checked the 3 boxes we have in the pantry) 

{Ava 5.16.06} {Ella 12.29.07} {Drew 2.9.10}
  • Loading the player...
  • imageStarryNight39:

Wow, that's crazy. Was it a generic brand? Regular Fruit Loops do not have that warning (and I just double checked the 3 boxes we have in the pantry) 

Yes, it was Walmart's brand.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My DS's preschool is supposed to be peanut and tree nut free, but these types of things happen fairly regularly.  I have found the most effective way to ensure that my DS is safe is that I check the snack and any other food items (for crafts etc.) each and every day.  At our school, parents sign up to bring snack once a month, so I just wait each day at dropoff and validate that the snack for the day is safe.  I also ask the teachers about any other food items being used.  Sounds a bit extreme, but I've found it to be the ONLY way I can feel certain that DS is not being exposed to any nuts at school.  The teachers welcome this method too, as I think it makes them feel more secure with all the other stuff they have going on.  This is DS's second year at this school.  Last year, when he first started, I assumed everything would be fine as they are nut free etc.. But, I quickly learned that "may contain" or "processed in a facility with nuts" type items slipped through the radar occasionally.  I used to get really irritated with the school, but once I decided to just take it into my own hands, I am more relaxed.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"