Baby Names

French Middle Name

Okay so I need very specific help with a name and I figured this would be the place to go. 

So our LO's name will be Ramona. That's decided. SO is very French with a very French name and since the name Ramona is Spanish, he wants her to have a French middle name. My middle name is Love, and I would like her to have a word middle name like me. So we agreed on having a French word as the middle name, now we just need to find some.

The obvious perfect choice here is L'amour or Amour but the last name is Lamoureux (LAM-er-oh) so that obviously doesn't work. 

So bring on the French words that have potential to be names! Pronunciations would be helpful too, because I'm not that familiar with French.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker someecards.com - Your personal anecdotal evidence is so much more relevant than this legitimate scientific study.

Re: French Middle Name

• Is Collette French (or Nicollette)?  I like Ramona Collette!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Are you going for the sound of the word in French or the meaning of the word itself? These are two very different things. And since your SO is French, has he suggested anything?
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagekcarbonell:
    Is Collette French (or Nicollette)?  I like Ramona Collette!

I don't think Colette is a noun in French. If the OP is open to any French name suggestions, that opens the possibilities up a little more, but it sounds like she strictly wants nouns.

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Right, looking for nouns. Sorry, I had trouble explaining. I am looking for a French noun that could be used as a name. 

Right now the only one on my listis Rivi?re (RI-vee-air), which isFrench for River (obviously...)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker someecards.com - Your personal anecdotal evidence is so much more relevant than this legitimate scientific study.
  • Right, looking for nouns. Sorry, I had trouble explaining. I am looking for a French noun that could be used as a name. 

Right now the only one on my list is Rivi?re (ri-vee-air), which is French for River (obviously...)

• Desiree - Desired

Belle - Beautiful

Perle - Pearl

Honnete - Honest (needs accent over E

Grace - Grace, of course, but I don't know how to make the appropriate accent over the A

Gentille - Kind

• Honore (on OR, honor), Placide (plah SEED, calm), Modeste (moe DEST, modest) (all French names from my family tree)

If you wanted a variant of love, you could use Aimee. Aime is "to like". In the very French area where I grew up Aimee was the preferred spelling of Amy, but was pronounced ah Mee.  

ETA: I was going to suggest Collette, but then I remembered that it means "noose". Not a good connotation.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  •  One more!

Avril - April

• Is your SO actually French or an American of French descent?  By this I'm questioning whether or not he speaks French.  If you just want a random French word, asking him would be the way to go.

There are plenty of French female names that are nouns (Marguerite -- Daisy) and there are a few French adjectives and personal pronouns that work (Belle, Elle, as the pp suggested something like Modeste, Prudence, etc.) 

If you're just looking for some sort of random noun (which tends to be frowned upon for name usage in France), might I suggest P?riph?rique.  The word is pretty and it means ring road.

• Noelle

jamie <kinda like j'aime

• My name is Aimee and in french means beloved or friend    That said I don't love the flow of  Ramona Aimee!    I do love Colette though and that was my first instinct when you said french     Ramona Colette sounds great !

Sorry I tried to edit this but couldn't for some reason-  Missed the noun part so Colette isn't a good suggestion

How about Bleu, Fleur, Luna  or Mirabelle means Wonderful..

• I would go with Amie.
  • Jolie - Pretty

Sable - Sand

Belle - Beautiful

Nouvelle - New

Mignon - Lovely

Pomme - Apple (also used as a name) 

Charmant - Sweet (like wine) 

Mother of  Sable Rene' & Clifton Michael
    Blog    Names
  • Ramona Vienne (to live)

Ramona Cherie (cherished) 

Ramona Belle (beautiful)

Ramona Fille (daughter)

~Welcome to the world, Presley Ann!! *8/16/11* 8 days late!
  • imageKeri Marie:

Jolie - Pretty

Sable - Sand

Belle - Beautiful

Nouvelle - New

Mignon - Lovely

I love most of your suggestions, but I kept giggling at the idea of mignon as a MN.  Hee.

mm 2/17/11 * dd born 4/20/12 * bo 1/3/14 * edd 1/211/15 

• I don't know French, so I can't help you with word names.

But I love Ramona and have it on my list.  I also have Lorraine and Bernadette on my list, both of which I think would pair nicely with Ramona.

Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • imageanna7602:
    Are you going for the sound of the word in French or the meaning of the word itself? These are two very different things. And since your SO is French, has he suggested anything?

this is what I'm thinking! I don't speak french sorry! Would imagine your SO would be the best helping with the decision.

• imagechapski:

imageanna7602:
    Are you going for the sound of the word in French or the meaning of the word itself? These are two very different things. And since your SO is French, has he suggested anything?

this is what I'm thinking! I don't speak french sorry! Would imagine your SO would be the best helping with the decision.

I'm hoping he speaks French too, so he can help you with this.  Some of the suggestions here are close, but not completely accurate in some ways- especially in meaning and spelling in feminine forms.  (I'm a French speaker).  I'd hate for you to pick something that doesn't perfectly match your little girl.

• imageKeri Marie:

Jolie - Pretty

Sable - Sand

Belle - Beautiful

Nouvelle - New

Mignon - Lovely

My sister's name is Mignon!  I think I'll have to go with that one.  I also like Jolie.

Dee Dee DS Elijah Xin 3/11/05 DD Evangeline Mei 8/24/06
  • I LOVE Soleil.. (pronounced so-lay) french for Sun.  very pretty in my opinion.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"