Upstate NY Babies
Options

NBR: Fundraising help

My husband teachers at a school in a very poor neighborhood in the city of Buffalo.  His team of teachers are organizing a trip to Washington DC for the 8th grade students.  They're planning on going toward the end of the school year. 

Since the kids would not be able to afford to go without serious fundraising/donations I offered to help write letters for fundraising/donations.  What would you write in the letter?  I've already thought about a background on the school/location, poverty level, where/when they're planning on going.  I'm thinking something along the lines of the purpose of the trip but I'm stumped on what to write.  Any suggestions?

Re: NBR: Fundraising help

• Options

who are you writing letters to? you might want to have a skeleton letter and if you send it to businesses- it would be tailored a little different than if you sent it to parents or community members...

I think heartfelt appeal letters work well- mention how without the funds these kids wouldnt have the opportunity to be exposed to our cradle of democracy. How this trip can inspire a child to public service in a way that no amount of classroom instruction can.

Do they have any seed money? Sometimes a matching donation can get a better response than starting from nothing- KWIM.

How long have they been doing this trip? Is there somone prominent in the community who went on this trip as a kid and can give you a quote about how inspiring it was to their future?

Also, I know it's hard to track alumni of the school but maybe doing an appeal to them too- if i got a letter from my middle school or high school about something I  did that was threatened due to lack of funding- I'd write a check... 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I think abba has some good ideas.  Also, fwiw...I can do fundraisers with TS if it's something you might be interested in.  Just PM me if you want info.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have no idea what you would write, but send the letter to both the local wegmans and walmarts in your area.  I know both do donations for these type of things (at least the ones I have worked at in Roc).
  • Options

imagejnk062602:
    I have no idea what you would write, but send the letter to both the local wegmans and walmarts in your area.  I know both do donations for these type of things (at least the ones I have worked at in Roc).

Wegmans is on my list right now....I know how much they support education in the community.  Does Walmart do cash donations?  I never thought of them.

• Options
    Thank you for the suggestions!  All great ideas!
  • Options

Not to play devil's advocate here (coming from another BPS teacher)...

Have you or your DH talked to the principal & others from the district? From my experience it isn't really cool to go into detail about the kids being from poverty, bad neighborhoods, etc. How would the kids or their parents feel if they saw a letter like that? I think it is fine to give the name/address of the school (most businesses would put 2 and 2 together & understand the background) and say the students need additional financial assistance to make this educational opportunity happen. 

It sounds like a great trip, I hope the kids get to go! Has he thought of school fundraisers like a car wash in the community, basket raffle, bake sales, etc? We have had success with those in my school.

Photobucket
    Charlie 11.01.07 ~ Paul 05.07.10 ~ Annaliese 02.24.12
  • Options
    imagexKimx:

Not to play devil's advocate here (coming from another BPS teacher)...

Have you or your DH talked to the principal & others from the district? From my experience it isn't really cool to go into detail about the kids being from poverty, bad neighborhoods, etc. How would the kids or their parents feel if they saw a letter like that? I think it is fine to give the name/address of the school (most businesses would put 2 and 2 together & understand the background) and say the students need additional financial assistance to make this educational opportunity happen. 

It sounds like a great trip, I hope the kids get to go! Has he thought of school fundraisers like a car wash in the community, basket raffle, bake sales, etc? We have had success with those in my school.

That was my initial thought as well but apparently it was discussed at their meeting this morning and the principal gave it a go.  Obviously she'll have to approve any letter before it goes out.  In order to be more discreet about it, I'm thinking about just noting that without the assistance from local businesses and fundraisers many children would be unable to participate.  They are doing other fundraisers as well- car washes, candy bar sale, etc. 

• Options
    you also might want to check with local VFW or american legions or things like that- I know sometimes they have some monies set aside to use for community donations.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageabba916:
    you also might want to check with local VFW or american legions or things like that- I know sometimes they have some monies set aside to use for community donations.

Awesome suggestion!  Thanks!  I knew you ladies would be able to help!

• Options
    imageKim72508:

imagejnk062602:

Wegmans is on my list right now....I know how much they support education in the community.  Does Walmart do cash donations?  I never thought of them.

Ya....if you look at the customer service area or back by the site-to-store pick up area they have posters or certificate things on the wall of local things they donate to.....like $1000 to school 30 and $200 to boy scout troup 18 and hosting the local ZooBoo event.  For some reason, it is not prominately displayed like how Wegmans does it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"