Trouble TTC
Options

Fallopian Tube question TTC

Friend SJ is in her late 20's had a US to measure follies and the Dr said her tube was blocked. ( supposedly from what i remember you can not see the tube in a US? ( they will post soon for themselves I hope)

Sj has the Histosalpingogram and it showed a blocked fallopian tube. Went back to a diff Dr ( she is in the Military so there are several Dr involved) They all ask her about STD's but none ever test - as far as she knows she is STD free.

Anyhow she went back to VA Dr. and they did another US ( due to her family history- Sister had cervical cancer and aunt died of ovarian ) they said on this last ultrasound that ALL WAS PERFECT: her uterus was unremarkable and her ovaries wer unremarkable and as far as they could see there was no blockage. (again I thought you  cant see fallopian tube from US)

so The fertility Dr wants to remove the tube and get start with medicated IUI - The VA says she has no issues and does not need the removal ....

anyone want to speculate or care to share.

FWIW, My sister had a ectopic pregnancy almost died lost her tube and had BABY#2 with a back to back IUI unmedicated   and then had baby #3 by surprise all with one tube ...

so my thought;cant they still do IUI medicated with out removal ( DR says yes possible but it is very low % and possible that the block tube is producing fluid that will contaminate the embryo???)

anyone have any tube issues  and also is it possible for a tub to UNBLOCK itself?

Thanks J writing for SJ
- 2 Moms 2 Twins Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
our Blog -http://dosbabies.wordpress.com/

Re: Fallopian Tube question TTC

• Options
    You are right that you typically can't see a fallopian tube in an u/s - however, if there is a blockage they can show up clear as day.  During the HSG the technician will try to push a dye through the tubes, this can sometimes clear up a blockage which may be why the tube was not visible the second time.  Did the Dr clarify why he wanted to take out the tube?  He may be worried about tubal disease, but she should have a clear understanding of the recommended treatment plan and the expected benefit before moving forward IMO.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

An enlarged, blocked tube (hydrosalpinx) is ofter visible under normal ultrasound because they are so swollen with fluid and large. Since those types of blocked tubes contain toxic fluid that can come into the uterus and cause problems with the embyo, they are usually removed before doing IVF or other types of treatments. I would suspect that is what your friend has. Anyhoo, I would want to confirm hydrosalpinx with an HSG before removal if I were your friend.

IVF #1 ET 1 d3 embryo 10/30/11 BFP
    3 Embryos frozen (1 d5, 2 d6)

DS born 07/29/12

FET #1 ET 1 d5 embryo 02/10/15 BFN

FET #2 1 d6 embryo didn't survive thaw, transferred last d6. CP :(

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageamandaleigh1:

An enlarged, blocked tube (hydrosalpinx) is ofter visible under normal ultrasound because they are so swollen with fluid and large. Since those types of blocked tubes contain toxic fluid that can come into the uterus and cause problems with the embyo, they are usually removed before doing IVF or other types of treatments. I would suspect that is what your friend has. Anyhoo, I would want to confirm hydrosalpinx with an HSG before removal if I were your friend.

Amanda- correct, Thie is what the RE suspected - so she did have the HSG and they confirmed blocked tube.  That is all they said - but she  had to go back to VA for a US ( after the HSG and they were not able to see TUBE or blockage during the last US - so does this mean its clear and not blocked or swollen ?> 

- 2 Moms 2 Twins Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    our Blog -http://dosbabies.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    I have a blocked tube (from endometriosis). My tube will not be removed. I guess that is different than being filled with liquid though. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"