High-Risk Pregnancy

Water broke at 29 weeks

I also posted on Pregnant over 35

Anyone else here currently dealing with premature ruptured membranes?  Ugh...what a day it was yesterday...I am still exhausted.  Water broke around 6 am yesterday and life has been a whirlwind since...I miss my son at home so much, and will be here at the hospital until I deliver...which is hopefully in 5 weeks, but realistically will be much sooner they think...I can handle the hospital, bedrest, constant monitoring...etc.  What is killing me is being away from my almost 9 year old son. He is so sad...and missing me so much.  That is the hardest part right now.  Thanks for listening :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Water broke at 29 weeks

• imageSimonsaysbaby:

I also posted on Pregnant over 35

Anyone else here currently dealing with premature ruptured membranes?  Ugh...what a day it was yesterday...I am still exhausted.  Water broke around 6 am yesterday and life has been a whirlwind since...I miss my son at home so much, and will be here at the hospital until I deliver...which is hopefully in 5 weeks, but realistically will be much sooner they think...I can handle the hospital, bedrest, constant monitoring...etc.  What is killing me is being away from my almost 9 year old son. He is so sad...and missing me so much.  That is the hardest part right now.  Thanks for listening :)

so sorry...prayers that all goes well.  (just curious...how will you go another 5 weeks without amniotic fluid?  can the baby survive without it?  I thought no)

Natalia
    Konstantino
    Maximo
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST https://pinterest.com/raffaella1030/
  • That was what I asked too!  They said that yes, baby can survive quite awhile without fluid but that the risk of infection is very high now because of the rupture.  I have small pockets of fluid, not very much, and baby is still producing fluid as well, (as amniotic fluid is in reality, baby pee) so there is enough to get by with I guess.  They want me to make it to 34 weeks, but are not optomistic that I will make it.  Cervix is opened, not sure how much, but no contractions yet.  Each day counts...tomorrow at 2 PM is our first goal to make it to, then the steriod shots they gave me to mature baby's lungs will be fully effective...next we aim for 30 weeks next week.  Small steps and small goals, but understanding that it can all change so fast and I could deliver at any time...Oh yeah..and the little stinker is breech...and not enough fluid to really turn itself..Dr said 1/10 chance of vaginal delivery...when it rains it pours!  At least I am at Mayo and have wonderful Dr.s and nurses...it brings some peace of mind.
  • Loading the player...
  • oh geez, that must be rough.  i'm sorry to hear that.  :(   do they know what caused your water to break?  is your cervix closed? 

Lina- after 20ish weeks the baby constantly makes new amniotic fluid mostly through urine.  the baby absolutely can survive with the water broken, what do you think happens in labor when it breaks?  some women are ruptured for 24+ hours.  the major risk of course is infection and cord prolapse, especially with a baby that is not engaged yet. 

also there are different types of ruptures, sometimes is the forewaters, sometimes the break is up high in the bag and it can re-seal.  it just all depends on the situation. 

GL, OP!!  i hope the time flies and you can be with your 9 yr old again real soon!

• imageSimonsaysbaby:
    That was what I asked too!  They said that yes, baby can survive quite awhile without fluid but that the risk of infection is very high now because of the rupture.  I have small pockets of fluid, not very much, and baby is still producing fluid as well, (as amniotic fluid is in reality, baby pee) so there is enough to get by with I guess.  They want me to make it to 34 weeks, but are not optomistic that I will make it.  Cervix is opened, not sure how much, but no contractions yet.  Each day counts...tomorrow at 2 PM is our first goal to make it to, then the steriod shots they gave me to mature baby's lungs will be fully effective...next we aim for 30 weeks next week.  Small steps and small goals, but understanding that it can all change so fast and I could deliver at any time...Oh yeah..and the little stinker is breech...and not enough fluid to really turn itself..Dr said 1/10 chance of vaginal delivery...when it rains it pours!  At least I am at Mayo and have wonderful Dr.s and nurses...it brings some peace of mind.

haha, i guess while you were responding i was typing my post, complete with questions that you just answered! 

• imageTexas77again:

oh geez, that must be rough.  i'm sorry to hear that.  :(   do they know what caused your water to break?  is your cervix closed? 

Lina- after 20ish weeks the baby constantly makes new amniotic fluid mostly through urine.  the baby absolutely can survive with the water broken, what do you think happens in labor when it breaks?  some women are ruptured for 24+ hours.  the major risk of course is infection and cord prolapse, especially with a baby that is not engaged yet. 

also there are different types of ruptures, sometimes is the forewaters, sometimes the break is up high in the bag and it can re-seal.  it just all depends on the situation. 

GL, OP!!  i hope the time flies and you can be with your 9 yr old again real soon!

I was not sure...I had PMROM at 21 weeks, cervix had dialated and shortened, no fluid, 3 days later I started bleeding and baby did not have a heartbeat.  I was told the baby could not survive without any fluid...maybe it was just too early for him to produce it and there wasn't any fluid at all.

I am praying for you to reach each week's goal!!!

Natalia
    Konstantino
    Maximo
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST https://pinterest.com/raffaella1030/
  • I am so sorry you are going through this. It's great that you are staying so postive. Please keep us posted.

GreenHood Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm so sorry to hear that.  My bff had her water break at 23wks and was on hospital bedrest until she delivered at 26wks (baby is now 20 months old and AMAZING, he's such a miracle).

At the time, she also had a 2? year old son and they did a lot of skyping.  Is that something you can do while you're in the hospital?  That way at least your son can see you and hear your voice.  It might make it easier for him.  Maybe you can read him stories over the phone if not skype?

Hang in there....

Caleb.02.01.08 | Asher.07.06.09 | Jude.01.19.12
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Mama Jan's Kitchen... a food blog
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  •   Glad your still cooking, I had premature ruptured at 28 weeks and delivered my son about 45 mins after it broke. He was in the Nicu for a long time, I would of rather kept him in, but he was coming and to far along to stop labor. 

I hope it all works out,  did they say why it broke? I am on mod bed rest cause of my first, and they don't know what caused it. 

• We don't know why it broke..no sign of infection..no prior issues.  Just a freak thing.  I had a really hard BM the day before, which I almost never get, and there is this part of me that wonders if the pushing I did caused it, though Dr.s have said it can't...I just wonder if it was weak and may have caused it? 
  • Hi I am lurking.

I gave birth in August 2010 at 38w4d after my membranes ruptured at 22w5d following a cerclage surgery.

My membrane ruptured but within a week they had resealed.  I spent 6 weeks on hospital bedrest until they felt comfortable releasing me and then another 10 weeks at home on bedrest.  The risk of infection is high but I have former pPROM buddies who barely had an fluid ruptured much earlier than you and went on to give birth to babies which are healthy now.

Keep on your feet, drink more water than humanly possible, and keep everything out of the canal including the ultrasound probes.  Any signs of infection and it is better to immediately deliver than risk infecting the baby.

Thinking good thoughts...

• My water broke at 29 weeks too....I only made it 5 days and went into full labor which they didn't stop....They determined the reason to be bc I started to get an infection (baby was fine!).  I stayed 4 days in the hospital getting treated with antibiotics.  My was 30w 1 day when he was born and stayed in the NICU for 38 days.  He had no complications and just needed to grow (he was 2lbs 15oz).

My thoughts are with you!!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"