May 2011 Moms

Anxiety over Pedi visit. Cereal at 4 mos?

LO had his 4 month check up and shots this morning and he dropped a little on his percentile for weight.  The pedi thinks we should start him on cereal and then on purees in a couple weeks.  I was hoping to wait until at least 6 months and do the BLW method, skipping cereals altogether.  We EBF.

DH is on board and I want LO to be healthy, but I am so nervous about starting so early.  Will spoon feeding the cereal mess with BLW?

Anyone else in my boat or have any advice?

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Uploaded from the Photobucket Android AppBabyName Ticker

Re: Anxiety over Pedi visit. Cereal at 4 mos?

• I'm sure your lo weighs more than mine!!  I'd get a second opinion. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It's okay to disregard a pedi's advice in favor of your own research. I feel like that needs to be repeated on this board... So, It's okay to disregard a pedi's advice in favor of your own research. Wink

I do think pedi's have some good advice in some regards, but I don't think they quite understand their (overly paranoid) audience. 

Do what you are most comfortable with.  :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Nobody ever has to follow the advice of a doctor.  It's advice. 

Did you talk to your doctor about your feelings and desire to wait on giving any forms of solids? 

Our ped said to start cereals at 4 mos because DD was eating 10 ozs more a day than most babies her size/age.  DH and I are waiting until we fell comfortable giving her cereal/solids. 

~~~I am MrsPLW71~~~ Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

My Birth Story
  • I just responded to someone's post about the same thing on 3-6.

Pedi suggested offering purees after feedings to up calories b/c LO jumped to 75th for length and dropped to 40th for weight.  I was worked up about it and the ladies on here all told me not to do anything I wasn't comfortable with.  This was probably the best advice I got!

I waited a few days and felt better about it so I offered some purees, but he's not interested.  He'll eat it off his hands, so I let him do that.  And, occasionally, he'll grab at something off our plates and I let him do that (he, apparently loves beans, he kept sticking his fingers in the and licking it off over and over again).

He doesn't want to eat from a spoon, so I'm not going to try again for a few weeks.

I kind of feel like his tasting from his hands is in the same spirit as BLW, so maybe that's why I'm feeling better about it?  Realistically though, I doubt he's getting many calories from it.

Anyway, maybe ask your pedi if you can come in for a weight check in a couple weeks?  If LO really is dropping in weight significantly then maybe you can reevaluate then.  But like everyone said- don't do anything you're not comfortable with.

imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers image
  • I think the percentile dropping is something to pay close attention too and lets face it, have any of us really been able to stick to exactly what we 'pictured' for our LO's? So if you have to introduce purees for health reasons, it's not going to change who he grows up to be.

But I still agree with PP, do what YOU feel comfortable with, not always exactly what your pedi says.

• Remember that breastmilk is much higher in fat and calories than cereal or purees. So it doesn't make sense to me for a pedi to recommend starting solids early in order to gain weight. If anything I would offer the boob more to increase supply if your LO needs it. Is your LO happy and meeting milestones otherwise? I wouldn't be overly concerned about a slight drop in percentiles- besides is your pedi using the WHO charts for EBF babies or the CDC charts which include FF babies? You could always request a wt recheck in a couple weeks if it really worries you.
  • imageAquabee21:
    Remember that breastmilk is much higher in fat and calories than cereal or purees. So it doesn't make sense to me for a pedi to recommend starting solids early in order to gain weight. If anything I would offer the boob more to increase supply if your LO needs it. Is your LO happy and meeting milestones otherwise? I wouldn't be overly concerned about a slight drop in percentiles- besides is your pedi using the WHO charts for EBF babies or the CDC charts which include FF babies? You could always request a wt recheck in a couple weeks if it really worries you.
    This is what I kept thinking. Aren't cereal and purees much lower in calorie content, but will fill up LO?
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • What does it mean, he "dropped a little?"  From what percentile to what? 

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I looked over his chart again last night and I can see why she is concerned.  He dropped from the 25th to the 5th for weight.  Height and Head circumference dropped maybe 1 percentile.  I know she is suggesting what she thinks is best, but my gut is telling me he needs more milk.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Uploaded from the Photobucket Android AppBabyName Ticker
  • imagekatieandjeffie:
    I looked over his chart again last night and I can see why she is concerned.  He dropped from the 25th to the 5th for weight.  Height and Head circumference dropped maybe 1 percentile.  I know she is suggesting what she thinks is best, but my gut is telling me he needs more milk.

I agree with you.  You don't have to follow your pedi's advice.  Can you get more milk into him during the day? 

imageimage
  • imagekatieandjeffie:
    I looked over his chart again last night and I can see why she is concerned.  He dropped from the 25th to the 5th for weight.  Height and Head circumference dropped maybe 1 percentile.  I know she is suggesting what she thinks is best, but my gut is telling me he needs more milk.

I agree with you.  You don't have to follow your pedi's advice.  Can you get more milk into him during the day? 

imageimage
  • I guess we can nurse more often, but I am thinking I may have to pump and give him a bottle before bed.  I honestly have no clue how much he drinks, my DH thinks I should pump all day for a couple days so we can see how much he takes.  There is no way I could do that without him being home.  But, he doesn't seem interested in helping me with that since he just wants to give DS cereal.
  • We started cereal and purees at 4 months but I agree with pp. Milk is much for "fattening" than solids. Also when you start solids, the amount they drink generally drops by a few ounces. It sounds like he needs more calories not to feel more full. 

• imagekatieandjeffie:

with my DD1 - she went from 30th to 8th.  Pedi assured me that bm is total nutrition.  We were also dealing with dairy/soy issues.  We delayed any solids until 7 months. 

Remember 5th percentile means that out of his age, 95% of kids weigh more.  Those charts don't mean you need to hit 50%.  Also, it may be a short lag and then a growth spurt....so unless it is a trend to keep losing weight and missing milestones, I would not worry about it.

I know - easier said then done.  But after worrying for a long time with DD1.  She is happy, healthy, and thriving at 60% height and 8th% for weight.  She just has a great metabolism,

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"