Working Moms

XP: Question for daycare moms

Lucius isn't on a napping schedule at daycare... since he's so young (11 weeks), they just let him sleep when he's tired.  The problem is, he fights sleep because he likes to see what's going on.  He does it at home as well as at daycare.  Obviously daycare doesn't have the time to coddle him to sleep, so he doesn't nap consistently or often when he's there.  This means that when I pick him up at 6, he sometimes has been awake for 3 hours or more.

The question is, do you move your LO's bedtime around depending on how tired they are when you pick them up?  I tried putting him down earlier yesterday (7:30 as opposed to his usual 8) because he was SO tired, and he slept poorly.  He was up every 2.5 hours all night long.  I'm not sure if it's because he went to bed early or if it's because he was overtired to begin with.
PhotobucketLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: XP: Question for daycare moms

• My DD goes to bed between 6:30 and 7 so I don't know how much earlier we could go.  I do sometimes let her nap when she gets home from daycare at 4:00.  It is annoying that they don't get the sleep they need.  The other day, DD only slept for 40 minutes the ENTIRE day at daycare. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I know this is not the answer that you want to hear but it may be that your baby is far too young to adhere to a schedule.
  • Loading the player...
  • I always followed what it seemed the kids needed.  Realize at that age, it is possible he needs to move his bedtime sooner.  Go with.  Seems he needs to move it later?  go with it.  I'd just follow his lead as his bedtime may seem set at one time and then move again.  It can vary a lot.

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• I wouldn't expect an 11 week old to have any kind of reliable nap or bedtime schedule. Its not daycare, its a young baby. Daycare is very exciting and most babies don't settle into a reliable daycare nap schedule until 6ish months. Until then, adjust bedtime as needed.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • It's interesting to see the difference in responses herd and on the 0-3 month board. I dont expect DS to be on a nap schedule at this age, but everything I read says to be consistent with bedtime. I worry that he doesn't get a good, solid block of sleep. Thanks for your thoughts!
  • imageKathrynMD:
    I wouldn't expect an 11 week old to have any kind of reliable nap or bedtime schedule. Its not daycare, its a young baby. Daycare is very exciting and most babies don't settle into a reliable daycare nap schedule until 6ish months. Until then, adjust bedtime as needed.

I agree with this. At that age, DS would sometimes take a snooze on the way home and sleep until around 6pm, so he went to bed later. Sometimes he wouldn't and therefore, he would need to go to bed earlier. Daycare should be taking some time to help your DS fall asleep, but just know that what you are experiencing is normal. Your LO will grow out of it. Sleep brings on more sleep so just let him sleep when he needs to- whether it's on you while you sit on the couch and watch the news, or in his swing/crib/bouncy chair.

Hang in there! It will get better.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageAsOctoberFalls:
    It's interesting to see the difference in responses herd and on the 0-3 month board. I dont expect DS to be on a nap schedule at this age, but everything I read says to be consistent with bedtime. I worry that he doesn't get a good, solid block of sleep. Thanks for your thoughts!

My DD was up every 2.5-3 hours until she was at least 5 or 6 months old.  Granted, she was a crappy sleeper, but I don't think at your LO's age sleeping for long stretches at night is as common as some boards make it seem.  We had a bedtime *routine* in place by 3 months, but definitely not an actual schedule.

imageimageimage
  • imageQueSrah:

My DD was up every 2.5-3 hours until she was at least 5 or 6 months old.  Granted, she was a crappy sleeper, but I don't think at your LO's age sleeping for long stretches at night is as common as some boards make it seem.  We had a bedtime *routine* in place by 3 months, but definitely not an actual schedule.

I hear this!  The Bump distresses me because it makes it seem like every baby is STTN by the time they're 6 weeks old, haha.  DS is still up every 2.5-3 hours most nights.  I consider him a "high maintenance" sleeper.  Stick out tongue

• imageSpenjamins:
    I know this is not the answer that you want to hear but it may be that your baby is far too young to adhere to a schedule.

This.  My baby is still not on a napping schedule.  She sleeps when she's tired at daycare.  When she's super tired, she'll sleep for hours there.  Some days she only gets an hour of sleep all day.

She's happy there though.  We have moved her bedtime up to around 7 some nights.  But we always shoot for her typical 7:30 bedtime, so it's always close to then.  I let her sleep when she's tired so I would never keep her up. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageAsOctoberFalls:
    It's interesting to see the difference in responses herd and on the 0-3 month board. I dont expect DS to be on a nap schedule at this age, but everything I read says to be consistent with bedtime. I worry that he doesn't get a good, solid block of sleep. Thanks for your thoughts!

No one here is saying to go off your bedtime routine.  We've had a bedtime routine since 6 weeks old.  What we're saying is that 30 mins here or there won't ruin it entirely for you. 

My 5 month old has slept through the night (7+ hr stretches) since 3.5 months and the past 10 days she's done 9-11 hours straight at night. So, not everyone has crappy sleepers.  There are stories of good sleepers here too! 

• There were times during DD's first year that I would pick her up at 5 and put her down for the night by 6. It sucked, because I got no time with her, but she didn't have a reliable nap schedule at daycare and was exhausted. It eventually sorted itself out, but yes, be consistent with your bedtime routine, but adjust the timing as you see fit.
  • imagelaurakaz13:
    So, not everyone has crappy sleepers.  There are stories of good sleepers here too! 

That's what I'm saying - it seems on most of the Bump like everyone has good sleepers. I like to hear about the crappy ones to know that my DS is normal, too. 

• imageSpenjamins:
    I know this is not the answer that you want to hear but it may be that your baby is far too young to adhere to a schedule.

That doesn't bother me... I don't even try to put him on a schedule (we feed on demand and sleep based on when he last woke), but I have been trying to figure out a consistent bedtime.  I'm glad that it seems the time is not too important as long as the routine is consistent.  I don't want to try to keep him up on days I can tell he's tired.

• imageAsOctoberFalls:

imagelaurakaz13:
    So, not everyone has crappy sleepers.  There are stories of good sleepers here too! 

That's what I'm saying - it seems on most of the Bump like everyone has good sleepers. I like to hear about the crappy ones to know that my DS is normal, too. 

yes, they all potty train @ 18 months and only have 2 tantrums in their whole toddler years too.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imageAsOctoberFalls:

imagelaurakaz13:

You want crappy? I'll give you crappy.  Parker is almost 1 year and she has never, I repeat, never, slept through the night.  Granted we bedshare and nurse so that has something to do with it, but it was just until the past month where she went from waking up every 3ish hours to every 5/6 hours!

But back to your original question though...Parker never slept well at daycare since she started at 16 weeks to now.  I didn't have a set bedtime for her but followed her cues.  Sometimes she fell asleep the moment we got home from pure exhaustion.  Sometimes she stayed up for a couple hours before she crashed.  It's just starting now where she's on a more predictable schedule.  No matter how much she sleeps at daycare, she doesn't want to go to bed until 8pm now. 

Hang in there!

• In my experience with DS if he is overtired he sleeps poorly.  I've always said that putting DS to bed earlier makes him sleep longer....DH thinks I'm crazy but experience proves otherwise! 

Maybe LO just needs some time to adjust to daycare.  I don't think a 1/2 hour would make that much of a difference in sleeping at night.  Be consistent and give it time.  He will nap at daycare once he is tired and gets over the newness of the whole thing.  Good luck! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageQueSrah:

imageAsOctoberFalls:

This... Take it day by day, but make sure you do the same routine before bed so they get used to the regularity of bed time.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest

• DD is 8 months old and I can count on one hand the number of times she has slept through the night, i.e. 5 hours. Usually she sleeps about 3 hours in a row. We try to put her to bed between 6:30 and 7:30. 6:30 if she is super tired or fussy, otherwise 7. If she is super awake, then 7:30. I've noticed if she does not nap at dc, she sleeps really poorly at night. Lately, she has NOT been napping at daycare and has been waking up a lot at night to nurse. (She is also teething and I think about to hit some big milestone).

It does and can get better - some nights are better than others for us. At 11 weeks , as pp have said, I wouldn't worry about it. Some babies are awesome sleepers, but just as many are not. Good luck!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • You will constantly be changing the bed time of your child.  As he gets older he will be napping less during the day and will need to go to bed earlier but like the pp said keep the routine the same.  Naps at daycare are different from naps at home because they have more to keep them entertained at daycare whereas at home on the weekends it the same ol same ol so we adjust bedtime accordingly.  DD2 is now down to one nap and her bedtime is pretty much 7 every night now but it probably be earlier if I didn't have the older ones running around or needing to do homework or soccer etc. You really do have to readjust because of age but also when they get into something new like daycare or becoming more active and you will see they need more sleep. 
    Mommy to DS1 ~10.11.05~ DD1 ~07.22.07~ DD2 ~09.10.10~
  • imageSpenjamins:
    This. I don't think we fell into a schedule until close to four months.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"