Breastfeeding

Do I need to pump + dump after getting a body massage?

I got a 90 minute massage tonight. The massage therapist said that since I was breastfeeding, and she was massaging my lymph nodes, I should pump and dump at least for the next 12 hours, but 24 hours ideally. She said this is because the toxins now floating around my body can go into the breastmilk and cause DD to feel sick, not to mention I shouldn't feed my baby BM with toxins in it.

It sounds kinda weird. I've never heard this before. I checked kellymom, but couldn't find anything to support this claim.

Anyone know if after getting a body massage you are suppossed to pump and dump?

BFP #1 via IUI ~ L (Fatal Birth Defect) 4/7/10
BFP #2 via IUI ~ m/c
BFP #3 via cancelled IUI ~ C (2lb 3oz; HELLP) 5/16/11
BFP #4 via the natural (free!) way ~ E (8lb 11oz) 9/13/12

Re: Do I need to pump + dump after getting a body massage?

• I have never heard this either. There are a lot of activities that supposedly release toxins but I've never heard that they should be avoided while BFing. Call a LC if you're unsure.
  • Sounds like a total crock to me! But I'm not a massage therapist...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Don't know about toxins, but it might up the lactic acid in your muscles and make your milk taste funny.  That shouldn't hurt LO though.

imageimage
    2 years, 2 surgeries, 2 clomid fails, 2 IUIs, 1 loss, IVF #1 - 10/25/10 = BFP!, DS is now 3.5yrs!
    TTC #2 - 6/12 surgery #3, FET #1 & 1.2 = BFN, 12/2012 FET #2 = BFP! DD is 1.5 yrs!
    Surprise! 12/16/14 BFP, loss #2 12/31/14

I can't wait for the "im getting a divorce" post in 5 years or so because your husbands were fed up with your disgusting chair asses from playing on the knot all day and getting fired 4-5 times for not doing any work. you guys are all winners!! ~ Laur929

• My therapist and I have talked about this.  I went ahead and nursed without concern.  I did notice a supply drop the next day and I felt more wornout but my daughter was fine.  She's survived many a toxin filled feedings after massages... :)
  • What I've learned about massage therapists.  

They are weird.

They are obsessed with "toxins" they release and drinking water to flush them.

There is literally NO research (scholarly research) to support this.  I've looked.  I even had H look (he has access to pretty much every medical journal).

Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• imagekatie4253:

What I've learned about massage therapists.  

They are weird.

They are obsessed with "toxins" they release and drinking water to flush them.

There is literally NO research (scholarly research) to support this.  I've looked.  I even had H look (he has access to pretty much every medical journal).

Yeah, that's what I would say. A massage feels great, but I've never understood what "toxins" exactly they think they're releasing, or where they think they go. I can guarantee that you will do your baby no harm just nursing. It's a massage, not chemo.

• So there is a big difference between a deep tissue massage and a lymph drainage massage.  Lymph drainage does just that - it works specifically on the lymph nodes, and it does in fact release stored toxins into the blood stream - the lymphatic system is a big part of the immune system and the lymph nodes store and fight viruses, bacteria and other toxins/foreign invaders.  It has nothing to do with the muscles.  Lymph drainage work is contraindicated for several types of cancer - including lymphoma because it can activate the lymph system into spreading the cancer.

It really depends why you were going to get a lymph drainage.  Most massage therapists are not trained to do lymph drainage -- they must either take additional, specialized coursework in it, or they are some other type of medical professional that does get trained to do this.  It's not something you just walk in and the massage therapist decides, hey I'm going to drain your lymphatic system today.

In general, it's not going to release toxins you have to worry about -- unless you were getting lymph drainage because of some specific significant medical condition that is known to affect the lymphatic system.

• I've never heard that before and I had a 60 minute massage once and didn't pump and dump.  I still nursed my son and he was just fine. 

PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"