Multiples
Options

s/o Baby B becoming Baby A

I thought baby A was always baby A and baby B was always baby B, even if they switched positions? Is this not true? Which twin is considered "presenting?" My MFM always refers to them as Baby A and Baby B and I always assumed that when they said Baby A it is the same baby every time, and Baby B is the same baby every time. My OB said she thought the MFMs always knew which was which by where each one was attached to the placenta (my twins are mo/di).

I am just confused, and hoping I don't confuse their identities even before they are born! You know? TIA for any insight.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: s/o Baby B becoming Baby A

• Options

Mine were still considered Baby A and Baby B in the womb up until they were born even if they switched positions- B became the presenting twin later in my pregnancy and was still Baby B up until he was born he was Twin A or Twin 1 (however they wrote it).

Hope this make sense! :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Baby a is always the one closest to your cervix, I.e. Presenting. Their sacs/positions can shift making a into b and vice versa. I think ours switched bc b was always bigger, but then a was and since we've been getting u/s basically wkly since 6 wks, I'm pretty sure one didn't outgrow the other. HTH!
    TTK 9/06 / TTC 10/08 / Twins 12/11 / Life Blog
    5 REs + 3 surgical hysteroscopies for septum/lap + 3 failed IUIs
    IVF w/ICSI/AH & acu = BFP!, unexplained spontaneous m/c @ 8w2d (our little girl),
    FET w/acu = BFP!, B/G twins!, lost MP @19w, dx w/funneling cervix @20w,
    twins nearly lost to IC @21w, saved by rescue cerclage, 17P & 16w of bedrest
    Our twins born @36w4d via CS when A came foot first

Thankful for every day

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    On my u/s yesterday, the tech still kept baby b labeled "baby b" and just added the note underneath that said "presenting".  So technically my baby b is now in the "baby a" position  (closest to my cervix), but to make the records easy to track, they will still label him baby b until delivery.  Hope that makes sense.  lol
  • Options

are you supposed to still feel sick at 17 weeks...because these twins are kickin my butt...i sick in the am and starving to death in the pm wht is going on,

• Options

Like PP said, A is closest to your cervix.  Mine never switched.

When they were born, I did ask the doctor to let me know if they had to take B before A (c-section), because it can happen and at that point they would call whoever came out first A, and the next baby, B.  A was born first.

Here comes Baby #3! BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageLoveTravel:

Mine were still considered Baby A and Baby B in the womb up until they were born even if they switched positions- B became the presenting twin later in my pregnancy and was still Baby B up until he was born he was Twin A or Twin 1 (however they wrote it).

Hope this make sense! :)

ditto to this.

for consistency's sake, even though B moved into "A" position (closer to the cervix), he was still baby B.

How to tell my boys apart

The different types of twins and triplets

Jack, Sydney and Carynne, Annaleigh, JW, Eden...forever in our hearts.
    My blog * We made the national news!
  • Options
    imageMAMAFENTRESS:

are you supposed to still feel sick at 17 weeks...because these twins are kickin my butt...i sick in the am and starving to death in the pm wht is going on,

Did you intend to post this somewhere else?

Here comes Baby #3! BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagekthappy76:
    Baby a is always the one closest to your cervix, I.e. Presenting. Their sacs/positions can shift making a into b and vice versa

That's my understanding, too, though it never came up in my pregnancy (baby on the right was always closer to my cervix) so I could be wrong. I would think they would find a way to keep some consistency though so they can track each baby's growth appropriately.

fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Options
    Thanks for the insight everyone! I will ask at my next MFM appointment to make sure A is still A and B is still B, or how they are doing it. And I'll be sure to ask who's coming out first when I have my c section.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I think it depends.  For me, Baby B was my baby that had issues so she was always labeled as Baby B so there was consistency in the statistics from u/s to u/s.  When she was presenting, they labeled her as such on the u/s.  But, maybe they don't do that for every pregnancy?
  • Options

I am confused by this as well.  At my MFM appt on Monday, they told me that Baby A is always baby A and B is always B.  At my u/s at 12 wks, A was lying on my cervix while B was up towards my belly button.  At the u/s on Monday, they were both vertical, one on either side of my belly button and they were still labelled A and B as before (B has consistently been on my upper left) and this was a different place than my 12 wk u/s.  A was even marked as breech. 

I think I am having a pg brain moment b/c I just confused myself by re-reading that...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"