Northern California Babies

Children's Books

Please recommend what you LO is loving these days. Please also recommend what YOU are loving reading to LO these days.

With a bunch of birthday gifts to purchase and trying to work on the Hannukah/Christmas list for H, I'm looking for some new ideas.

For us right now....H is obsessed with anything (seriously anything) Clifford. My current favorite is Interrupting Chicken by David Ezra Stein.

Thanks!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers

Re: Children's Books

• DS is too little to really enjoy them, but *I* enjoy reading him my childhood faves.  Go Dog, Go and A Fish Out of Water are the most recent ones we've "read".
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The favorites in our house include:

The Big Red Barn

I Don't Want a Cool Cat (and I want to get I Don't want a Posh Dog)

Time for Bed

**** TW - kids and loss mentioned ****
    ~~ married 8.11.07
    ~~ DD1 1.16.11 ~~ DD2 1.3.14 ~~
    ~~ BFP3 12.22.15 MMC 2.29.16 @ 13 weeks ~~
    ~~ 2 D&Cs (3.1.16 and 3.10.16) for MMC
    ~~ BFP4 10.27.16  MMC 1.23.17 @ 16 weeks ~~ D&E 1.26.17 ~~
  • Loading the player...
  • This not a children's book, but a reference book for children's books...

The Read-Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0143037390/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=7210266939&ref=pd_sl_89c35wo8fp_e

It's a reference book of the best books to read ALOUD to children- because not all children's books make good read-alouds.  They're grouped by ages and categories.  Love it!! 

PM me for our family/baby blog

Haley Beth ~ March 3rd, 2011

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I really love Mo Willems' books: Snuffle Bunny, The Pidgeon Wants a Puppy, etc. They are super cute.

I also love the book "Be Kind to Otters." It is a great book about manners and being kind to others.

The other series I like is the Lola and Charlie series. They are taken after a tv show, but they are well written and have a cute message. I have two in my classroom: We Are Really Very Good Recyclers and I Will Never Not Ever Eat a Tomato.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic My Boys! BabyFruit Ticker image
  • This isn't a book per-se, but DS LOVES it and I'm getting it for my nephews this year for christmas/birthdays.

It's a poke-a-dot book of Old MacDonald.  Each page there are raised buttons to pop as you count the animals as you go through the Old MacDonald song lyrics. 

https://www.amazon.com/Poke---Dot-MacDonalds-Poke-able-Poppin/dp/160169024X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1317332938&sr=8-2 

Another book that I really like is Silly Tilly

https://www.amazon.com/Silly-Tilly-Eileen-Spinelli/dp/0761455256/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1317333068&sr=1-1

And DS also likes Hooray for Fish!

https://www.amazon.com/Hooray-Fish-Candlewick-Storybook-Animations/dp/0763650447/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1317333182&sr=1-1 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageStructenggal:

This isn't a book per-se, but DS LOVES it and I'm getting it for my nephews this year for christmas/birthdays.

It's a poke-a-dot book of Old MacDonald.  Each page there are raised buttons to pop as you count the animals as you go through the Old MacDonald song lyrics. 

H is crazy for the poke-a-dot books...he has two, the Old MacDonald one and the Monkey one. =)

• I have been running around telling parents about this book, it is super awesome and pretty interactive!

Press Herve by Here Tullet

Tons of fun and begs to be read to a group of kids.  It is like magic!

William Henry born August 26, 2011, 7lbs 9oz 20 inches Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageMsPurple24:

This not a children's book, but a reference book for children's books...

The Read-Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0143037390/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=7210266939&ref=pd_sl_89c35wo8fp_e

It's a reference book of the best books to read ALOUD to children- because not all children's books make good read-alouds.  They're grouped by ages and categories.  Love it!! 

every parent should own this book.

we love the Llama Llama books, anything with construction equipment, and a pop-up by Maurice Sendak called "Mommy." He LOVES that book. Also a halloween book called Skeleton Hiccups.

and then the always favorites:

the napping house

all the world

chicka chicka boom boom

everybody poops

once upon a potty

goodnight gorilla

the house in the night

I could go on and on. there are SO MANY good books out there. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • ps - for hannukah, there's one called The Latke Who Couldn't Stop Screaming by Lemony Snicket. It is awesome.
  • For whatever reason DS loves, loves, LOVES Goodnight California.  It's the only book he get excited about and when we're reading it he kisses every page.  It's pretty adorable...
  • Besides the classics (Good night moon, of course is the best book ever), my daughter got a few Olivia books for her birthday and she loves them. She is really into Cat the cat books, which she also got for her birthday, and I love some of the Charlie and Lola books so I read them to her and she generally likes them, some are a little too advanced. We got a Curious George book today at the library with some  puppy theme and she loves it. Corduroy is a big favorite right now and oddly she likes the cat in the hat learning series. She sat through "oH say can you seed?" and one about the weather today. I dont' really get why she loves those so much but I think they are great for an older kid, like 4 or 5. We have a bunch of other stuff about animals, she just loves anything about animals. We got her one at Yosemite called "What are YOU looking at?" that was her favorite for a while, with tons of animals. 
  • oh and she still likes the Eric Carle books, all of them. 
  • imageEmmieB:
    ps - for hannukah, there's one called The Latke Who Couldn't Stop Screaming by Lemony Snicket. It is awesome.

I HAVE to get this book for work. It is kind of tricky to get good Hannukah books. My other favorite is Three Little Gefiltefishes. That one is hilarious, especially when my coworker reads it in his Brooklyn accent.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic My Boys! BabyFruit Ticker image
  • imageMeggyO:

imageEmmieB:
    ps - for hannukah, there's one called The Latke Who Couldn't Stop Screaming by Lemony Snicket. It is awesome.

I HAVE to get this book for work. It is kind of tricky to get good Hannukah books. My other favorite is Three Little Gefiltefishes. That one is hilarious, especially when my coworker reads it in his Brooklyn accent.

you won't be disappointed.

Oh also - I was made to read The Little House no less than 4 times today. 

• imageMeggyO:

imageEmmieB:

you won't be disappointed.

Oh also - I was made to read The Little House no less than 4 times today. 

• On Amazon it says The latke who couldnt' stop screaming: A Christmas story. 

What's the idea there? 

• imageamyfelice:

On Amazon it says The latke who couldnt' stop screaming: A Christmas story. 

What's the idea there? 

I saw that too. Read the review(s) on it.....looks pretty cute. I'm planning on giving H a new book every night of the holiday this year.

btw....happy new year!

• imagesecretkeeper321:
    imageamyfelice:

On Amazon it says The latke who couldnt' stop screaming: A Christmas story. 

What's the idea there? 

I saw that too. Read the review(s) on it.....looks pretty cute. I'm planning on giving H a new book every night of the holiday this year.

btw....happy new year!

it's about a little latke that doesn't fit in at christmas time because Hanukkah isn't the Jewish Christmas. Check it out :-) 

• How Do Dinosaurs...series are cute

DS just started liking the Beauty and the Beast one, surprising, it's a longer story with 60 or so pages (lots of pics though)

Harold and the Purple Crayon are cute

• imageMommySteph2009:

How Do Dinosaurs...series are cute

DS just started liking the Beauty and the Beast one, surprising, it's a longer story with 60 or so pages (lots of pics though)

I worry about Harold and his purple crayon teaching bad habits. What do others think? 

• imageamyfelice:
    imageMommySteph2009:

How Do Dinosaurs...series are cute

I worry about Harold and his purple crayon teaching bad habits. What do others think? 

Its a boy wandering around alone in all the books & shows - Agreed it's a bit too imaginative for a toddler to understand it's just a story.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"