C-sections

Is anyone having an elective c-section due to bladder/rectal/anal issues?

I was left with a prolapsed bladder & rectum after vaginal birth #1.  It has been causing me problems for 3 years, and the more pregnant I am, the worse it is becoming.  It runs in my family, and my mother had a hysterectomy a few years ago due to her uterus also prolapsing.

Both OB's that I spoke to in my practice would rather see me have a vaginal birth, basically because I ALREADY have to have surgery to fix the prolapses anyway.  But they also both told me that the prolapses will probably get worse if I have another vaginal birth, and they understand why I want a c-section & think it's reasonable.

I am feeling guilty and questioning my decision now.  I am also questioning because it does mean that I will be having a 2nd surgery I don't really need.  If I have a c-section, I'll have to wait a while before jumping into repair surgery, I suppose.  But if I have a vaginal birth, I could probably have the repair surgery sooner.

HOWEVER...who wants to have repair surgery with a 2-month old infant (and a toddler to boot!)?  And my biggest fear is that my uterus will prolapse with another vaginal birth, which would mean a hysterectomy at 34 years old.

Does anyone have experience with this, or is anyone opting for a c-section due to prolapses, hemmoroids, or other pelvic organ issues?

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Is anyone having an elective c-section due to bladder/rectal/anal issues?

• So I may not be the right person to reply but feel free to ignore my thoughts b/c maybe I'm interpreting incorrectly.  It was sounding like you are questioning the c-section b/c the doctor said they'd rather see you have vaginally. I feel like they have to say that. And then they go on to say it'll likely become worse if you have a vaginal birth.  I am considering a c-section for other medical reasons but its your right, I believe to request a c-section...whether some people think its crazy to want something elective or not, its allowed. I researched this a bunch already but I have a feeling that even though its your right to do it and maybe even if doctors find it easy and no problem they also don't like too many on their record as that seems to be a statistic in ratings. Just my opinions of course...but yes a surgery with a 2 month old sounds horrible. But my opinion is do what you feel is right and in your situation I'd go for c-section.  Wait until you finish breastfeeding and then do your other surgery or you're going to also mess up that part if its something you want.

But like I said, an opinion so please don't jump down my throat about how wrong I am or saying its ok to request a c-section. Maybe this board is nicer to these types of things...will see in a few minutes I'm sure :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yes, the doctors already told me that they are obligated to give me a c-section if I request one, and they said they think it is "reasonable" and "understandable" but not necessary.  I totally didn't even think about the breasfeeding thing, either.  I had a bad experience with that the first time, and REALLY want to make it work this time.  Having surgery when she's 2 months old very well could ruin that as well. 

Thank you for bringing that up....I hadn't even thought about it!

• Loading the player...
  • Listen, I have to agree with Bella. I think its perfectly ok to request what you want. Imagine how much worse the prolapse could possible get and still have to take care of a NB, and THEN have surgery. Either way the situation sucks for you and I'm sorry your dealing with this.

Bella, i think every woman deserves the birth she wants, and if  a c-section is what she wants the all the power to her. Not everyone is wired to want to push. Myself included. 

BFP#1 11/10* DS Born via Cesarean 7/11* BFP#2 EDD 1/31/14 *M/C 6/13* BFP #3 RCS 3/14/14
    Brothers!
    "I wish that I could bake a cake, made out of rainbows and smiles. And we would all eat it and be happy." 
  • I didn't get a choice with my first c-section but I chose my second c-section partly because I have bladder and pelvic floor issues. I'm already in pretty much daily pain and when my OB said a VBAC could make things worse it was the deciding factor in wanting the repeat c-section.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • oh can I just say I love this board. Much more welcoming from what I've seen on opinions.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't have those issues, but I elected to have a c-section for #2 (and will for this baby as well) because of injuring my tailbone/pelvis during delivery of my first. The recovery was BAD and I did not want to risk that again.

I really struggled with the decision because my doctor left it completely up to me. He said there was no way of telling if I would injure them again.

Looking back, I am very happy with my decision to have the c-section. It was planned and I think because of that it went as well as a major surgery like that could go. I had a great recovery-so much better than my vaginal birth. I still have pain almost daily from my vaginal birth but do not have pain at all from my c-section.

Not sure if this helps, but I wanted to say that I know exactly what you are going through. Good luck with your decision!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageBeth.05:

I don't have those issues, but I elected to have a c-section for #2 (and will for this baby as well) because of injuring my tailbone/pelvis during delivery of my first. The recovery was BAD and I did not want to risk that again.

I really struggled with the decision because my doctor left it completely up to me. He said there was no way of telling if I would injure them again.

Looking back, I am very happy with my decision to have the c-section. It was planned and I think because of that it went as well as a major surgery like that could go. I had a great recovery-so much better than my vaginal birth. I still have pain almost daily from my vaginal birth but do not have pain at all from my c-section.

Not sure if this helps, but I wanted to say that I know exactly what you are going through. Good luck with your decision!

Thank you so much! I also have daily pain/discomfort from my vaginal birth and will have to have repair surgery that may or may not fix things. I'm glad to hear that you are happy with your decision & that your recovery was good.

My doctors have also put it in my hands, saying that it's not necessary but it is understandable, adding that I am putting myself through an additional surgery that isn't necessary. I just hear person after person saying that a vaginal delivery is MUCH easier recovery than a c-section, and it scares me because my vaginal recovery was SO horrible (and I still never have really recovered). I can't even imagine that a c-section recovery could be as bad as the vaginal one I had, and I also won't be 48 hours without sleep and 12 hours of extreme exertion first.

I think I'm going to do the c-section. DH is very adament about it after seeing what I went through, and on top of that, this baby looks like she's going to be quite a bit bigger than DD#1.

Thank you so much for your support, girls!

• I am so happy that I read this.  I am having a c-section due to family history of everything prolapsing and histerectomies in the early 30s.  My mom and her 7 sisters all have these horrible issues.  3 of my cousins had histerectomies before age 35 (once they were done having kids).  After what they all went through, all sorts of reconstructive surgery in there, my DH and I decided that it was best to attempt to avoid these issues and have a c-section.  There is no guarantee that this will avoid all the issues, but I will hopefully have a better chance at avoiding it!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"