Preemies
Options

Baby born @ 27 week question

We have the opportunity to be possibly choosen to be adoptive parents to a baby born at 27 weeks.  The baby was under 2lbs.  The agency is not aware of much information other than the baby is doing well for the age and is not on a respirator.  I wish we had more information.  We have to make a decision in a few hours if we want to have our book shown or not.  Any one have any comments on 27 week old babies?  I have no experience with premies or NICU so this is all new and such a hard decision not knowing what you are walking into I guess. 

Re: Baby born @ 27 week question

• Options

That's tough.

Honestly it just varies.  My son was born at 26w2d.  He spent 17 weeks in the NICU.  He faced some dififculties like a collapsed lung and bleeding in his brain.  He is 2 1/2 years old now.  As an infant he was pretty much "normal" except that he had severe reflux and a swallowing disorder.  We also could not take him anywhere for the first year for fear of him getting sick, weakened immune system, and unable to handle worldly germs.  At age 1 things started to seem less normal.  By 18 months he was delayed in all areas and started more therapy.  He still gets therapy 4 times a week for global delays in PT, OT, ST, eating.  He still is treated for reflux.  The doctor is evaluating him for possible mild CP and possibly a mild social disorder (ASD).  

That said - look at my blog.  I think most people think my son seems pretty normal.  He's so happy.  He's really fun.  He's adorable.  He is smart. He can count to 20 and knows all of his letters and colors. The things above have been challenging for us, but, overall he is doing very well and every issue he has had is treatable with therapy and is not progressive (it won't get worse over time). Most of the reason Andrew has issues, i think, Is because of his brain bleeding at birth.

Some preemies I know (27 weeks) personally have no issues today, at age 2.  A friend had twins - the girl has never had issues, the boy had some various issues - came home on a heart monitor, some sleep disorders, developmental delay, weight gain issues, but no issues today.

Some micropreemies have a harder time than my son did.  Some have feeding tubes.  Or more significant delays or disorders.  Eating and reflux are very common preemie issues.

That's a tough choice.  I think I know what I would do, but it's easy to say when you're not in someone else's shoes! T&P as you face this decision!

• Options

I have 27 weekers.  We had a very tough NICU stay, multiple surgeries, infections, bleeds, and reflux.  Luckily eating was not their challenge although it is extremely common amongst preemies. 

That being said... 9 months later they are on the growth curve for actual age and hitting milestones between actual and adjusted ages.  We have a few more doctor appointments then most babies, averaging 4 a month, but nothing crazy.  There are a few long- term concerns (possible mild CP, healing from surgeries (bone), and complications from IVH).  They are happy, strong, little miracle babies.

As Lemen said some babies have a smoother road then others and unfortunately only time will tell how things play out for you. 

Good luck on this decision and feel free to ask questions! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks! It is a tough choice but I know we will make the right one!
  • Options
    I have 28 week twins who were in the NICU for exactly 10 weeks.  They had premature lungs and had to be on the ventilator and cpap for just over a month.  We got by with no infections, no surgeries, and nothing that would lead us to believe they will have long term effects from their prematurity.  They were discharged home with apnea monitors but other than that there isn't too much different between them and a full term newborn now.  Of course we have to be very careful about their exposure out in public because they are at risk.
  • Options

My 27-weeker had a much easier stay than PPs. She was in the NICU for 73 days, on breathing assistance (vent and CPAP) for 1 month, and then had two months of growing and learning to eat. Her other issues were keeping her heart rate regular (which is typical for a preemie) and some minor breathing issues that resolved before she came home.  We didn't face any brain bleeds, heart issues, or surgeries. We were very lucky that she had a relatively easy stay in the NICU.

Now that she is home, we have some delays in motor skills and developmental milestones but nothing big. She gets occupational therapy three times a month and is doing really well with the extra help-most things she is right on track for her adjusted age. (BTW-preemies have to ages: actual age based on their bday and adjusted age is based on their due date. They tend to be developmentally at their adjusted age for the first 2-3 years)

Other than that, we are dealing with pretty bad reflux and see a GI. But she is a very happy healthy girl. 

Good luck with your decision! If you decide to move forward, we will help you answer any questions we can.

• Options
    My twins were born at exactly 27 weeks.  We were very fortunate throughout our NICU stay and only had some minor issues (2 infections and a touch of pneumonia).  They came home after 68 and 70 days on apnea monitors.  They both are developing some pretty bad reflux, but otherwise doing well.  The monitors are relatively quiet (except for the darn false alarms!), but it looks like the pediatrician wants them to stay on them until December.  We begin OT/PT next week---one baby has some issues due to very low fluid in utero. 
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options

I agree with everyone else that it's going to really vary depending on the specific situation.

Our son was born at 26w3d, and we have had a very good road so far.  He spent 70 days in the NICU.  A few days on the vent, then CPAP / high-flow nasal canula for most of the rest of the time.  He came home on oxygen with his feedings, but we ditched that pretty early on.  He was also on an apnea monitor for several months, but that isn't a huge deal.

He's hitting his milestones between his actual and adjusted ages and is already catching up.  He's still a peanut, but I'm not really worried about his size catching up eventually.  We don't have any reason to expect any developmental delays with him, either.

It really can vary quite a bit depending on the specific situation.  Good luck with whatever path you choose! 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

imageimage
  • Options
    Ok I have an update on baby.  Her vision and hearing came out good.  Her heart is normal and no bleeding on the brain. Her apgar scores were 3,6 and 9 I believe they said.  She has been breathing on her own since day 3.  (It is now day 21)  with this being said, I'm assuming her prognosis should be promising?!  I wish I could talk with the doctors and nurses.  We have until 12 tomorrow to make a decision...
  • Options

imageannereed:
    Ok I have an update on baby.  Her vision and hearing came out good.  Her heart is normal and no bleeding on the brain. Her apgar scores were 3,6 and 9 I believe they said.  She has been breathing on her own since day 3.  (It is now day 21)  with this being said, I'm assuming her prognosis should be promising?!  I wish I could talk with the doctors and nurses.  We have until 12 tomorrow to make a decision...

Obviously nothing's for sure but that does help. 

My son had a grade 2 and grade 4 (worst level) bleed.  He was not breathing on his own for a long time.  Those are all good signs.  The baby could still have a lot of struggles in the NICU (hopefully not, but an infection would be an example) or when he gets home.  I think it sounds hopeful though.  I think eating and reflux and some minor delay issues are the most common issues among preemies that are home.  I think the CP and more difficult issues are more common in babies that have the brain bleeding.  As a general rule though, preemies are more "at risk" for almost everything, especially micropreemies and some of the effects (like a learning disability or ASD as examples) won't come out until they are older.

• Options
    My triplets were born at 27 weeks. Two of my girls (both 2lbs 5ozs) are doing great; developmentally they are on track. My other LO (she was 1lb 2ozs) is sick but she also had growth restrictions inuteru and was the size of a 23 weeker. She has chronic lung diease and pulmonary hypersontension due to being so small. Other than that, she is developmentally on track...she is a step ahead of her sisters in somethings.

Having a preemie is not easy and doesn't stop once they are healthy enough to leave the NICU. Saying that, It is so awesome watching them grow from the itty bitty little people they were the day they were born.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

I think it's a great sign that the baby has had no brain trauma.  The NICU doctors are very hesitant to make any long term predictions but when there are high grade bleeds or PVL, they will start talking about scary things (cerebral palsy, etc.).

For what it's worth, my daughter was born at 26 weeks and had a pretty rough go in the NICU.  She's 20 months old now and has no delays or issues of any kind.  A good friend of mine had her daughter at 27 weeks and she is now 2 years old with no delays or issues either.  

There are obviously no guarantees, but what I can tell you is that these little babies are absolutely amazing-- their resilience and strength is incredible. 

Good luck with your decision!

• Options

Good luck with your decision.

My DD was born at 28 weeks, but was measuring more like a 25 weeker (1 lb 11 oz) due to growth restriction in utero.  She had an 88 day NICU stay with typical preemie issues - and came home on just thickened and fortified feeds.  She had very slight reflux and some slight developmental delays, but nothing critical by any means. 

We have been and continue to be very fortunate.  She will be 4 in November and is a super fantastic kid who just happens to be on the small side.  She is very social, creative, smart, etc. Her prematurity has had no long lasting effect that we know of.

The update you provided sounds really positive.  The NICU is a rollercoaster though and the baby probably still has a few months to go.  So there are still great days and not so great days to come.  But, with luck, most of what she will encounter will continue to be typical preemie stuff that thy just outgrow in time. 

• Options

imageannereed:

I may be chiming in too late, but that seems like very positive information.  Also good that baby is a girl (girls tend to do better than boys - especially white boys - in the NICU and afterwards).

My son was born at 27w5d, 87 days in the NICU, and came home on 6 different medicines but no monitors or oxygen.  We had developmental therapy (in our home - very convenient) once a week for 1.5 years.  We then had development therapy every 2 weeks until age 2.  Around age 2 we started speech therapy which eventually become twice/week - once at home, once at daycare. He turned 3 in May and is no longer in any therapy.  He has hit all of his milestones for his actual age (is actually ahead on most things), and we repeatedly get told by health care professionals and teachers that they would never guess he was a preemie at all, let alone a micropreemie.  We have been very, very lucky, and we have also been very diligent to make sure he was getting all the services he needed.

One thing I haven't heard people mention is that ideally you will want to avoid putting a 27-weeker into daycare until at least after the first winter (our NICU and pediatrician said until age 2 if we could afford it), so that's something else you may want to consider.

As all the PPs, every child is different and you can do everything in the world right and some preemies will still have delays or long-term issues.  There's just no guarantees.  (And I would add, that even if they have delays or long-term issues, the rewards still generally outweigh everything else! :))  Best of luck with your decision.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"