Food Allergy

peanut M&M wrapper in my house.. vent

I came home on Friday and ran to my bathroom so i can pee.  I noticed a small yellow wrapper. It looked like a wrapper from peanut M&M's.  I put it in my pocket so i could speak to my DH before i grill my nanny (or accuse her for something she did or did not do).

DH said he never eats them anymore and i don't either.  So Monday morning we asked her and she said she keeps them in her bag sometimes for school (i almost vomited).

She sometimes studies in the bathroom Tongue Tied.. (don't ask.. no clue... don't get it..) so she said it must have fell out of her book/purse while she was studying.  We told her that the next time it could easily be a peanut m&m that falls out and she wouldn't notice him eating it until it's too late. 

He's level 6 for a peanut allergy and there can't be any mistakes. Even a wrapper can be enough to set off a reaction (imo) since it only takes 1/1000 of a peanut.. or dust to set off a reaction. 

I'm so pissed!

My DH thinks you can't prevent someone from eating peanut m&m's or having them in their bag and i think if it's a bag that is in my house, than i sure can prevent them.  But obviously i cannot check her bag every morning. 

I hate allergies!

Re: peanut M&M wrapper in my house.. vent

• OMG! I would be so upset too! It is her responsibility to care for your child and keep him safe while he is in her care. That includes a safe enrvironment with no allergy foods around. I know you take a lot of measures to ensure that your house is allergy free and safe ( I read your posts :)  and to pay someone to be in your house for child care is what you thought was safe. She has the nerve to bring that to your house??  Oh, I would say something every morning as a reminder!!

Some people!  grrr... it's like my daycare post. They don't get the importance of keeping certain foods away from the little ones!

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • My DH thinks you can't prevent someone from eating peanut m&m's or having them in their bag and i think if it's a bag that is in my house, than i sure can prevent them.  But obviously i cannot check her bag every morning. 

Sure, you can't literally keep her from eating them, BUT, as your paid employee, I feel you have every right to say "Don't bring them into our home.  Ever.".  You don't have to be a b1tch about it (unless you really want to!), but you can firmly be like "we'll chalk this up to a lesson learned, but I need for you to fully understand how dangerous it is for DS to be around anything peanut.  I need to have full confidence in you that you understand this and that youll make sure this doesn't happen again.". 

Schools have "no nut" rules!  They can't technically keep every student from bringing them in, but the rule exists for a reason and tehre would be consequences for a child bringing something in they shouldn't. 

You can have a "no nut" rule for your home.  She won't follow it?  Find a new nanny.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Loading the player...
  • If you were in a center then I would agree with your DH.  But you hired a nanny specifically to care for your son and she needs to play by your rules. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • thanks ladies!

our nanny has it pretty good. free breakfast/lunch and i have seen her take leftovers home for dinner. Her meals aren't small or cheap either. Almost everything is organic. There is plenty of snacks. I even make a banana bread or muffins almost ever Sunday so they have something to eat.

I though when she had to inject him with the epipen couple of months ago would make her be more careful. i guess not. 

I hope that wasn't my warning sign. 

Now i'm actually curious since a few times in the past few weeks i came home and he had a visible rash on his mouth and was scratching his head uncontrollably.  I wonder if she wasn't careful with something she brought from home and she put it on the counter where he touches.  grr!

I really wish i was a SAHM sometimes! 

• Level 6??  Wow, that is scary :(

I am not as educated as I thought I was. My DD is level 3 and was told it's moderate to severe. Severe, I thought meant was close to the highest level. I need to google or get more info on the different levels.

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • You need a new nanny. It doesn't seem like she really "gets" it :(
  • imageorchid8407:

Level 6??  Wow, that is scary :(

I am not as educated as I thought I was. My DD is level 3 and was told it's moderate to severe. Severe, I thought meant was close to the highest level. I need to google or get more info on the different levels.

His soy is level 1, milk is level 2, his egg is level 5 and his peanut is 6. It's not even funny how scary that is!  I cringe when i see anything peanut related.  

Last time he was tested his peanut was at about 90 something but the doctor said it's going to get higher before going lower so i'm just assuming it's level 6 at this point.. but it could be level 5 (not that it makes a difference when they are exposed)

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}

IgE

kU/L

Level of Allergen

<0.35

Absent/Undectable

0.35-0.70

Low Level

0.71-3.50

Moderate Level

3.51-17.5

HighLevel

17.6-50

Very High Level

51-100

Very High Level

>100

Very High Level

• imagecarlinlp:
    You need a new nanny. It doesn't seem like she really "gets" it :(

We are looking for a new one actually. We don't think she'll be able to take care of two so as soon as my new baby comes we are letting her go.  My DH still wants to keep her so it's a small battle. 

I really wish i could just stay at home sometimes.. so much easier when you're dealing with FA.

• OMG, I am just catching up on the posts, and I can not believe that she would bring PEANUT M&Ms into your house knowing how allergic your son is! That is absolutely CRAZY and CARELESS! Yeah, I am totally with giving her the ax. I know it is hard to find someone you can trust, but she seems too careless.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"