Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

How often is your newborn awake?

My lo is six days old and only opens her eyes and is alert and awake once or twice a day. Is this normal? Even when I feed her she keeps her eyes shut.

Re: How often is your newborn awake?

• Options
    It can be. 6 day olds sleep a lot. Just make sure she is getting enough to eat. They can get dehydrated easily.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    DS was like that for about the first week, week and a half. And yeah, people who were coming over to visit kept commenting on it and I got all paranoid. As long as she's eating regularly, I'd just enjoy the naps and take a few of my own. As she gets older, she'll be awake more and you'll be glad you caught up on your sleep while you were able to!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My LO was pretty alert and had a lot of awake time during the first 10 days we were EBF. Once I started supplementing, and then EFF she started sleeping much more, and hardly had any awake time at all until around 6wks. 

I think it depends on the baby. Some NBs sleep all the time and hardly wake up for a feeding, others are more alert right from the start.  

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    DS2 is rarely awake (maybe an hour or 2/day). I asked the pedi and he said to enjoy it and that as long as they are gaining weight and having enough soiled dipes, they are fine. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Go Phils!!
  • Options
    At that age, my LO was VERY sleepy and was awake for maybe 20 minutes a day. Just enjoy it while it lasts. If your LO is like mine, in a few weeks you'll be spending an hour trying to get him down for a nap and he'll sleep for 15 minutes. 
  • Options
    The only time LO opened his eyes for a couple weeks was when he screamed through his diaper changes.  He still falls asleep pretty often while nursing and he's 11 wks now.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"