Tourist Q - Things to do with kids in Rockville or near Reagan? — The Bump
D.C. Area Babies

Tourist Q - Things to do with kids in Rockville or near Reagan?

I have been googling and having trouble finding answers - hoping you ladies can help!  We're coming in from Houston for a wedding and will be sight seeing in DC a few days after with our 2 boys (almost 2 and almost 5).  We need to wait near Reagan to pick up my MIL after our flight, so we'll need something to do and/or eat nearby before picking her up.  We will be staying in Rockville for the wedding the next day, and my MIL will have the boys that afternoon, so I would appreciate any suggestions on a place we could go that morning or where she could take them after their early afternoon nap.  Thanks so much!

Re: Tourist Q - Things to do with kids in Rockville or near Reagan?

• One of my favorite parks in Rockville is Cabin John Regional. They have an area with tons of playground equipment for all ages so it would be great for both a 5 yo and 2 yo. There is also a train that goes through the woods that costs $1.75 each for children 3 and over (kids 2 and under ride free with an adult).  They would probably enjoy the train. The park also has picnic tables and decent bathrooms (which is always a must for me).

Here's the link:

http://www.montgomeryparks.org/facilities/regional_parks/cabinjohn/#Train

And here's the address you would want to go to (the park has a few different entrances):

7400 Tuckerman Lane
    Bethesda, MD 20817
    Park Manager: 301-299-0024

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image vtkendra:

One of my favorite parks in Rockville is Cabin John Regional. They have an area with tons of playground equipment for all ages so it would be great for both a 5 yo and 2 yo. There is also a train that goes through the woods that costs $1.75 each for children 3 and over (kids 2 and under ride free with an adult).  They would probably enjoy the train. The park also has picnic tables and decent bathrooms (which is always a must for me).

Here's the link:

http://www.montgomeryparks.org/facilities/regional_parks/cabinjohn/#Train

And here's the address you would want to go to (the park has a few different entrances):

7400 Tuckerman Lane
    Bethesda, MD 20817
    Park Manager: 301-299-0024

I think the train is closed now except for the evening Halloween train rides - see website, these are a lot of fun if you are here during that time.  However the park is still very nice with lots to do.  Will they only be with MIL?  It can get crowded on the weekends and I know herding my 2.5 and 4 yo's by myself is difficult.

There are also pumpkin patches with hayrides (although MIL might not like the bumpiness?).  Our fave is a smaller one with animals to see and a hayride to the pumpkin patch - Homestead Farm.  Others have big carnival like things but it is mostly for older kids not the 2yo and they charge admission.

If it is just a morning thing you are looking for (before naptime kind of place).  I like the Mooseum in Germantown.  It has a nice small playground that is very easy to keep track of the 2 little ones at the same time right there and then there is the small Mooseum where they can milk a fake cow (just water comes out), a small playroom my kids could spend hours in and an arts and crafts area as well.  It is great for a full morning out:

The King Dairy Mooseum

18028 Central Park Circle
    Boyds, Maryland 20841
    301-528-6530
    www.mooseum.com

Open Sat 10-4 (it is great to do the playground first and then head over to the Mooseum).

• There's a park near Reagan that all the moms in my neighborhood recommend where kids love to watch the airplanes. There's lots of space for kids to run around.

It's right off of GW parkway - Gravelly Point Park.

If the weather is nice then this would be a great option!

http://www.yelp.com/biz/gravelly-point-park-arlington

Off to the beach

DS 7/18/2010
    Handy 2.0 Due Early August

2011/2012 Races
    12/17/2011 Christmas Caper 10K
    2/11/2012 Have a Heart 5K
    3/17/2012 DC RNR Half Marathon
    4/22/2012 10M Parkway Classic
    10/28/2012 Marine Corps Marathon
  • Cabin John Park is a lot of fun. If it's raining, the Rockville town center has an outdoor play area with a splash fountain, and it's right next to the library which has a playroom. It's a bit farther from Rockville, but Glen Echo Park also has puppet shows and nature lectures.

Near the airport, Pentagon City Mall has plenty of casual eating options and is one metro stop away from the airport. Riding the train might be fun!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards