Food Allergy
Options

preschool ?

would a just turned three year old be able to understant that he cant touch certain foods or that he cant eat or drink from other kids plates? i mean if he would even put his arm on a table that had a drop of milk spilled on it then he would get hives...how am i supposed to send him to school?

Jacob Alexander 7/23/09
Allergic to Dairy, Eggs and Peanuts Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Jameson Adam 6/1/11
Allergic to Peas...so far Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: preschool ?

• Options

I think it depends on the child. Some kids get it, some don't.  I have friends that i know their 3 y/o would NOT get it and i have a friend who i know her DD would totally get it. 

I'm planing on putting my son in school at 3.5 or 4 (depends). 

You also have to have a plan in place with the school.  You need to find a school where they won't drink milk in the classroom but in a separate room (if possible).  If the teachers know how serious it is, they should accommodate you and make sure the classroom is safe.

• Options

I think your choice of preschool will be key.  I specifically chose ours because they are a nut free facility, have kids wash their hands immediately upon arrival and before and after snack.  They do not allow treats for birthdays or other celebrations and snacks have to be in individual packages with full ingredient lists on them. 

There is also a strict no sharing snack policy.  The directors and teachers will randomly sit down with kids and ask if they can have a bite of their snack.  They all know to say NO!  When I ask my boys if they share snack at preschool they say no.  When I ask why they say, "because someone could be allergic."  This kind of support in the classroom is invaluable to me.

I will say I have to discuss snack procedures in more detail when DS#3 starts next year.  He too has contact reactions to milk so we will have to discuss how to keep him safe around goldfish, yogurt and other milky snacks.  But I am confident they will work with me to keep LO safe.

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageluvmagoldn:

I think your choice of preschool will be key.  I specifically chose ours because they are a nut free facility, have kids wash their hands immediately upon arrival and before and after snack.  They do not allow treats for birthdays or other celebrations and snacks have to be in individual packages with full ingredient lists on them. 

There is also a strict no sharing snack policy.  The directors and teachers will randomly sit down with kids and ask if they can have a bite of their snack.  They all know to say NO!  When I ask my boys if they share snack at preschool they say no.  When I ask why they say, "because someone could be allergic."  This kind of support in the classroom is invaluable to me.

I will say I have to discuss snack procedures in more detail when DS#3 starts next year.  He too has contact reactions to milk so we will have to discuss how to keep him safe around goldfish, yogurt and other milky snacks.  But I am confident they will work with me to keep LO safe.

if i found a school like this i would put my son in it imminently.   I'm sure rules like this gives you a piece of mind while you're not with them.

• Options
    imageluvmagoldn:

Your preschool sounds amazing.  Just thinking about interviewing/touring preschools this spring makes me anxious.  I hope I can find one this awesome.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageluvmagoldn:

dude...where is this school? Where are you in VA if you dont mind me asking? anywhere close to warrenton/fburg/cville?? I must use this school :)

Jacob Alexander 7/23/09
    Allergic to Dairy, Eggs and Peanuts Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Jameson Adam 6/1/11
    Allergic to Peas...so far Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I think a lot depends on the school as well as the child.  DD is 3.5 and knows that DS/I can't have dairy so she is very conscientious of that so I would guess she would be the same way for herself.  Every time I go to eat something she asks me if its dairy free.  She also asks if her snacks are dairy free and if they are not then she explains to DS (who is only 2 months old) that he can't have it and she is going to sit away from him until she is done eating it and washes up.  One time seeing him with a rash on his face was enough for her to be cognizant of keeping dairy away from him.  
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageaniceucchik:
    imageluvmagoldn:

dude...where is this school? Where are you in VA if you dont mind me asking? anywhere close to warrenton/fburg/cville?? I must use this school :)

I will send you a PM!  =)

• Options
    imageg_belle:
    imageluvmagoldn:

Your preschool sounds amazing.  Just thinking about interviewing/touring preschools this spring makes me anxious.  I hope I can find one this awesome.

I do feel extremely lucky.  But I am worried about the older boys starting kindergarten next year.  I fear that life in my nice little bubble is about to burst in a  public school environment.  =(

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"