C-sections

Scheduled c-section due to Crohn's-ADVICE PLEASE!

-->

So my hubby and I are expecting out first baby boy (Landon James) on christmas eve. My GI doctor and OB decided that the safest delivery method for me will be via c-section due to my history of crohn's disease. I have remained on my crohn's medication cimzia since getting pregnant and they have been tracking Landon's growth since the start of my pregnancy with monthly ultrasounds. He has been progressing beautifully and is as healthy as ever :) So blessed! I am so nervous about the c-section itself because I am having a hard time not having "the experience and magic of a natural delivery." Anyone have good advice about c-section in general, the recovery, the lack of the "experience"?

Danielle

Re: Scheduled c-section due to Crohn's-ADVICE PLEASE!

• I have Crohns, but my C-Section was due to my baby's breech position.

First, it is your first time.  It will be magical, I promise.  The minute they get the baby out and you hear him cry, you won't care how he got out, at least I didn't.  It's pure joy that he has arrived.

Second, as embarrassing as this is, I'll tell you that my first few minutes in the recovery room included a couple of "accidents" due to the epidural/ local anesthesia and my active Crohns.  I had no idea until DH brought it to my attention.  We called the nurse over and she cleaned me up.  DH and I still laugh about it to this day. 

Recovery was awkward with all my bathroom trips.  I was slow and steady and careful but made it every time :)  I held the pad to my incision as I got up and sat down.  Also, the dr. procedurally prescribed laxative to every new mom.  I explained the situation to every nurse who tried to give it to me and I never had it.

Last, do your research!  Learn as much as you can so you know what to expect, and what choices you may or may not have.

Good luck!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I agree that the first time you hear baby and see him, it will still be magical. I had 3 days of recovery before I got to see LO. Mine was not a normal situation, so don't be scared of that. I did mourn the experience for a while, but I think that I wouldn't have if I'd been given notice ahead of time how things would happen. Just try to prepare yourself as much as possible. Just think...your vag will be saved thanks to having a section. It's the little things you should be grateful for. Peeing will not burn from stitches or tears, etc.

I also agree that recovery from the section wasn't too bad. Use the big folded pad as much as possible. It was a lifesaver. Also, the frequent bathroom breaks are really helpful in making you heal faster and get moving. Just walking around the hospital room or down the hallway is really helpful. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • I've had two c-sections. The first was unplanned and wasn't such a great experience but that was because my hospital and Dr weren't so great. My second c-section was planned and wonderful. I'm a big planner so knowing withing a 30 min window when LO would be born was awsome. My recover went pretty well also. I don't have chrohns but I have a bladder disease called interstitial cystitis. I pretty much feel like I have a bladder infection all the time. After they took the catheter out I had to pee every 45min to an hr. It was annyoing but there were some bennifits. I was walking a lot so it helped me recover faster. Not as much made it to my pad and I was able to check them so much that I never leaked so all of my clothes stayed really clean.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • So glad you asked this!! My situation is exactly the same and I also felt like I was missing out on the "experience". I am also a little bummed because from what I have read they don't recommend breastfeeding while on Cimzia. 

How has your pregnancy been so far? Have you had a lot of Crohn's issues?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yeah my GI doctor has told me that I could breastfeed, however it will decrease the babies immunity, which basically defeats the purpose! So I will not be breastfeeding my little guy...its hard to imagine missing out on the "experience" of a natural birth and breastfeeding, but I have to do what is best for me and my son.

My pregnancy so far has been great actually (except for the usual 1st trimester morning/all day sickness and puking)! I have had ultrasounds each appt since I am "high risk" because of my crohns and the cimzia (since its such a new medication). His growth is 100% on target and my crohns has actually improved. Things could not be better. How is your pregnancy going? Are you on cimzia right now? I was so nervous at first because my doctor wanted me to stay on the cimzia for my pregnancy because of the risk of my crohns worsening and causing more complications. So far I am glad and couldnt feel more blessed at how things are progressing. Please let me know if you have any questions!! Its hard to find much research on cimzia and pregnancy for sure!

• Now that the first trimester is over I am feeling great for the most part! Like you I had the morning/all day sickness for the entire first tri.  Yes I am on Cimzia right now. It makes me a little nervous taking it, but I just make sure to inject my thighs and not my belly-not sure if it makes that big of difference. 

So far things are looking good for my little one. We go to the doctor in two weeks to find out the gender. I really haven't noticed my OB treating me any differently because of the "high risk" classification. I have had about 3 ultrasounds (I'm 17weeks) and at least one of them was due to the fact that the physicians asst. could find the heart beat using the hand held thingy...this was pertty early in the pregnanncy and she told me not to worry, but of course I freaked out so they said they would do an ultrasound to put my mind at ease. 

Since this is my first pregnancy I don't really know what to expect as far as being treated as "high risk".  But I wonder if it is common to get an ultrasound every month and if I should ask about this.

As far as crohn's symptoms during pregnancy, I think I have been pretty lucky. Although I never considered myself to be a typical (if there is such a thing) crohn's patient because I never had a lot of D. I was more constipated and suffered from perianal abscesss and fistulas.  I do seem to be having bigger bouts of constipation lately, but I don't know if this is just pregnancy related or from my crohn's.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"