High-Risk Pregnancy

bicornuate/retroflexed uterus

Hi! This is my first post, I'm hoping you ladies will have some good input for me.

I'm 6 weeks along (first pregnancy) and ended up in the ER on Monday night for some bleeding/cramping. I went to a new ob/gyn a couple of weeks ago just prior to my missed period/right after my positive pregnancy test and she wasn't very reassuring or concerned, so naturally I'm looking for a new one. ANYWAY, I went to the ER, they ran a battery of blood tests and did transabdominal/transvaginal ultrasounds. The ultrasound results said that I have a retroflexed uterus that is also bicornuate/septate. What are the chances of miscarriage? I'm so worried. I know I need to follow up with my ob/gyn for a more in-depth appointment, but I wanted to see if anyone else has success stories with the same problem?

Re: bicornuate/retroflexed uterus

• :raises hand:

I had a scary amt of bleeding at 13 weeks and was found to have a BU....DD was born early due to pre-e, and is a healthy thriving baby! She was never affected by the blood. I was told by a friend with a UU that having these types of uteri can cause hematoma's from the odd blood flow, but it never affects the baby. BU can cause PTL so since you are early on I would recommend asking your Dr for progesterone suppositories to take from now until 16 weeks and then from 16-36 weeks getting the progesterone injections. Also getting frequent u/s to watch your uterus and also your cervix in case it starts to shorten-which can be common with BU-so you may have to get a cerclage. Bedrest may also be in your future. Best thing to do is stay calm and positive!

https://mulleriananomalies.blogspot.com/

heres some good info 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Follow Me on Pinterest blog: www.thesmoreslife.blogspot.com
  • I have the same problems as you and carried twins successfully up to my induction at 36 weeks 3 days.  I was on bedrest for 3 months, but I expected that as soon as I found out I was having twins.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I have a bicornuate uterus.  Both my boys were full term babies with very little complications (modified bedrest starting at 33wks with DS1 due to preterm labor, shortening of cervix - but at 39w6d he was born by c-section due to failed induction!).  I have had some bleeding in first tri with all three pregnancies, they think the bleeding came from the other horn of my uterus.

Hope that gives you some hope!  There are lots of women around here with a BU, I knew many of them in my first pregnancy and we all had full term babies!

Caleb.02.01.08 | Asher.07.06.09 | Jude.01.19.12
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Mama Jan's Kitchen... a food blog
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • imageMama Jan:

I have a bicornuate uterus.  Both my boys were full term babies with very little complications (modified bedrest starting at 33wks with DS1 due to preterm labor, shortening of cervix - but at 39w6d he was born by c-section due to failed induction!).  I have had some bleeding in first tri with all three pregnancies, they think the bleeding came from the other horn of my uterus.

Hope that gives you some hope!  There are lots of women around here with a BU, I knew many of them in my first pregnancy and we all had full term babies!

Love hearing this! Such inspiration and hope that we can make it full term this time around! 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Follow Me on Pinterest blog: www.thesmoreslife.blogspot.com
  • I too have a bicon. uterus and was told at age 17 the risk of miscarriage are high, but its not impossible to carry. I was also told that the risk of premature labor is even higher... the doc said most people with our condition will deliver around 34 weeks, so prepare yourself for baby to spend about a week or so in the NICU.

I am now 25 and pregnant with my first. I was in the hospital at 7 weeks (a week after i found out i was prego) for cramping and bleeding- after checking on the baby my doc came to the conclusion that the right horn of my uterus didnt realize i was pregnant. I have had no issues since then, thankfully. I too was very worried, however i am now 20 weeks, and baby is fine.

Hard as it is think positive!!! (i know its hard!)

Your in my thoughts! I am praying for a healthy pregnancy and baby for you as well!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"