Baby Showers
Options

I broke my own etiquitte police rule today :/

Some of you may know I post on this board a lot, having hosted more showers in my life than I care to recall.  I'm *usually* the etiquitte police, but today I broke my own rule.  I feel obligated to throw myself to the wolves over it.

My coworkers threw me a shower at work on Monday, which was very lovely.  We received a lot of nice things.  I work in a large school where a lot of people typically pool their resources  together for group gifts, and I'm of the opinion that you still write an individual thank you for each person, even for a group gift.  So over the last two days I wrote about 65 thank yous so that I could give them out before leaving today.  Well today a group of 9 ladies who could not make it on Monday gave me a gift... 9th period... 15 minutes before the bell... on my last day of work before maternity leave... and I only had 3 thank you cards left and 15 minutes before leaving for the entire year.

... So I wrote one group thank you to all of them and gave it to a friend to deliver for me on Monday.

I know some of you will say I didn't break any rules because in different work environments, group thank yous or email thank yous are acceptable (my husbands school does this and he was mortified when I wanted to write individual thank yous to everyone who gave him a gift).  I feel like I committed an etiquitte sin, though.  This will now bother me until I see these women again next year! 

Re: I broke my own etiquitte police rule today :/

• Options

Thank you for confessing, my child.  Your pennance will be 20 nursery rhymes and no ice cream for you tonight!

I'm jewish, did I do that right?

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• Options
    imageLiz4444:

Thank you for confessing, my child.  Your pennance will be 20 nursery rhymes and no ice cream for you tonight!

Hahaha this really made me laugh.

OP - I will say that I don't think you broke etiquette policy, I'm sure if you had had the right number of TY cards you would have written them individually.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageLiz4444:

I can live with the 20 nursery rhymes, but I cannot give up ice cream tonight.  Sorry, no deal!  By the way, L'Shana Tova! 

• Options
    You're on the wall during recess young lady!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Personally I would not have written 65 individual thank you's in the first place since they were group gifts.  Of course I've always worked somewhere that had a bulletin board so "thank you's" are always posted there for whatever reason (shower gifts, flowers sent, money given, etc).

I am curious, however, about wanting to get the thank youwritten THAT DAY.  Is there some reason you can't return to the school at a later date (like next week)?   I think I have always returned to work for one reason or another and certainly after my babies were born (to show them off of course).  lol

• Options
    imagerhubarb123:

Personally I would not have written 65 individual thank you's in the first place since they were group gifts.  Of course I've always worked somewhere that had a bulletin board so "thank you's" are always posted there for whatever reason (shower gifts, flowers sent, money given, etc).

I am curious, however, about wanting to get the thank youwritten THAT DAY.  Is there some reason you can't return to the school at a later date (like next week)?   I think I have always returned to work for one reason or another and certainly after my babies were born (to show them off of course).  lol

I kind of wish, after reading about so many of you who work in places where emails and bulletin board thank yous are acceptable, that I could work there too :/ Writing all of those thank yous was definitely annoying, but I did it nontheless.

As far as getting them done immediately- it's awfully strange, but we're actually NOT ALLOWED back in the building while on sick leave.  "Sick leave" means any day that I am not at work before the baby is born.  I'm not due for 2 more weeks, and *technically* I could go as long as 42 weeks before the dr. would enduce, so it's possible that I would be "out sick" for a month before my maternity leave actually begins.  I wouldn't be allowed on the property until after delivery for liability reasons, so I didn't want to let it linger a month (and then potentially forget about it).

In hindsight I probably could have just written those last few and mailed them to work next week, but oh well. 

• Options
    imageweddingbells2010:
    imageLiz4444:

I can live with the 20 nursery rhymes, but I cannot give up ice cream tonight.  Sorry, no deal!  By the way, L'Shana Tova! 

Thank you.  If you've been good today, I'll send you some apples and honey.

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• Options
    No biggie if you ask me.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Well good for you for having the grace to feel badly about your situation.. that being said, I am doubtful that your (extremely minor) faux pas will cross the minds of those ladies now, let alone in one year's time.   Frankly, I think they would likely be more in appreciative-shock to find that you were so prompt with your thank you card.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"