April 2011 Moms

Is my baby the only one..

....that still doesn't seem interested in food?  We have tried sweet potatoes & peas..she makes a face & the food just falls out of her mouth.  It's like she's confused about what to do.  My daycare provider has tried feeding her with the same results.  We give her a break (about a week) & we try again & she still isn't opening her mouth.  She will definitely open her mouth for the bottle like it's no body's business though!

I am going to try bananas next to see if that will spark her interest.  If not, we'll just take another break & try again.  She's a week shy of 6 months...anyone else's baby like this?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Is my baby the only one..

• We haven't tried solids yet but I've read that some babies just aren't ready until late in 6 months, well into 7 months, etc. I have no idea how my DS will be!
    natural m/c 7.1.10 :|: sticky baby 4.25.11 :|: #2 due 5.18.13 BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagevirginiagirl11:
    We haven't tried solids yet but I've read that some babies just aren't ready until late in 6 months, well into 7 months, etc. I have no idea how my DS will be!

Hmmm....maybe she simply isn't ready yet.  I'll try again in another few weeks.  I don't force it on her she's doing good wtih her formula, so I am not too stressed. But just like you said, maybe she's just a late bloomer when it comes to food.Wink

• Loading the player...
  • I just talked to my pedi about this. DD makes a face no matter what we feed her. When ever we start something new, she doesn't swallow but what I tried is giving her her pacifier to get her to swallow then taking it out, another bite, etc. If she doesn't use a pacifier maybe a finger? A swig of the bottle? My pedi said just keep trying a few bites will help and eventually they'll just get it. (she's going through the same thing with her son at 8 mo). I think it has to do with strong flavors. We've done rice cereal, oatmeal, sweet potatoes and squash. We're trying bananas next to see if thats better.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageMaggieb515:
    I just talked to my pedi about this. DD makes a face no matter what we feed her. When ever we start something new, she doesn't swallow but what I tried is giving her her pacifier to get her to swallow then taking it out, another bite, etc. If she doesn't use a pacifier maybe a finger? A swig of the bottle? My pedi said just keep trying a few bites will help and eventually they'll just get it. (she's going through the same thing with her son at 8 mo). I think it has to do with strong flavors. We've done rice cereal, oatmeal, sweet potatoes and squash. We're trying bananas next to see if thats better.

So far we've tried oatmeal, sweet potatoes, & peas.  My daycare provider suggested trying a fruit.  So I am thinking bananas too.  But just like your LO mine makes a face too & doesn't swallow, just lets the food fall out.

• We have a very similar problem on our hands.  DD will laugh and smile with me but when the spoon gets near her face it's mouth closed, turning away, paying attention to anything else, and NO eye contact.  We took a small break but we're trying again now.  She may not be ready but she's constantly trying to eat the food off my plate so I wonder what's going on.  We've tried oatmeal, sweet potoatos, squash, green beans, pears, banana.  Banana didn't go well for us, she broke out in a rash.  Poor baby!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Our babies are right around the same age and she still thrusts her little tongue right out and makes a face. I'm going to try again in a week but am not sweating it for now.

Her thighs keep growing, so I think she's getting whatever she needs right now. Wink

TTC #2
    BFP 3/28/16 (EDD 12/9/16) * Chemical pregnancy
    ME: 40 yrs.old
    DH: 41 yrs.old
    DD: 5 yrs.

• Mine is not interested.  She gags and holds those little gums shut.  She'll be 6 months in a couple days.
  • imageJaneBeam:
    We have a very similar problem on our hands.  DD will laugh and smile with me but when the spoon gets near her face it's mouth closed, turning away, paying attention to anything else, and NO eye contact.  We took a small break but we're trying again now.  She may not be ready but she's constantly trying to eat the food off my plate so I wonder what's going on.  We've tried oatmeal, sweet potoatos, squash, green beans, pears, banana.  Banana didn't go well for us, she broke out in a rash.  Poor baby!

DS does this too. I've found what works is letting him hold the spoon (while I'm still holding it) and letting him guide into his mouth. He really wants to be in control of his feedings. It takes longer, gets a little messy b/c sometimes he uses his fingers to push the food from the spoon into his mouth, but he eats.

• We started early because P was showing signs of readiness around 3mos- and he took to it right away. Now he literally will eat anything you put in front of him. We did start with bananas though (after cereal, and started mixing w cereal) and they are still his fav! Bottom line, every baby is different- she'll eat when she's ready.  Don't stress about it, keep it fun and just keep trying.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"