High-Risk Pregnancy

Horribly failed glucose test!

have just come back from a check up at the doctor. I am 24 weeks and I did my glucose test yesterday. They told me the good thing was I didn't have to do the 3 hour test which I was happy about and then they hit me with the bad news. My score was really high. They think I was diabetic before I got pregnant and now I am diabetic being pregnant. They told me I had to go to a high risk hospital and have all sorts of tests done and that my baby could be born with a heart defect because it wasn't caught and controlled sooner. They are also sending me to see a endocrinology and a cardiologist. I'm trying really hard not to freak out about it but the doctor kind of scared the crap out of and did a really crappy job of explaining what was going on and just told me they would know more after I saw the other doctors. Anyone else have a problem like this? I could really use some advice about what to do. 
BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Horribly failed glucose test!

• How high was your number?

With my first I had a 191 after the one hour so they would not do the three hour and gave me the automatic diagnosis of having GD.  They sent me to the RD to be evaluated, get a diet plan, and start testing my sugars to start but did not mention anything else.

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was at 230 after the one hour test. They doctor literally went nuts scanning through all of my file and asking me question and was so ticked off that no one knew before now that I was having trouble. She just started making appointments for me at a high risk hospital to have the baby checked for heart defects and then at a cardiologist to have my heart tested and then an endocrinologist to have the diabetes tested and put under control. Honestly she freaked me out.
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Bedside manner fail!  I am glad your doctor is concerned and getting you the care you need, but geez!  There is no reason to freak people out.  Maybe they thought they missed something by not screening you sooner, so she was freaking out over her own issues and not considering your feelings.

So, take a deep breath.  Have you had an u/s yet?  If yes, how was your baby measuring?  If not, they will do that soon to start measuring the baby every 4 weeks.  

Yes, there are risks associated with GD and heart issues are one of them.  I was diagnosed early and just had my fetal echo today.  Luckily, everything was perfectly fine.  Just remember - everything they tell you is just a risk and may not apply to you and your baby.   Get your blood sugars under control as soon as you can.  Exercise and drink plenty of fluids to help your blood sugar.  You will probably be a candidate for insulin - it's not that bad.  Heck, it's almost easy for me now and I H-A-T-E needles.  

Don't let your doctor freak you out and come back here as much as you need with as many questions as you can come up with.  This board is a great support system.  Also, do some reading on GD.  And when you read about all the risks, understand that most of those risks really come into play if you don't get your blood sugars under control.  They all get a lot lower when you get your blood sugar into normal range.  Most GD mamas aren't diagnosed until around 28 weeks, so it is not too late to keep you and baby healthy. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

FACEBOOK FEB 12 BUMPIES ADMIN - POST & PM ME TO JOIN 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"