Pre-School and Daycare
Options

Potty Training overnight

How should I potty train my daughter over night?  She does great during the day, no accidents,and for the most part no accidents during her afternoon nap.  But I really have no idea how to teach her to go potty overnight?! She's 3 years old and her diaper/-up isn't as wet as it was a couple of months ago, so I think she is holding it more, but should I wake her up in the middle of the night to go?

I just have no idea how to teach her this

Re: Potty Training overnight

• Options

Every LO is different.  DD goes to bed at 7:00 and then DH or I take her potty before we go to bed between 10:00 - 11:00.  She is still wet in the morning about 50% of the time.  It's mostly biology at this point - they are not capable to control their bladder -  and I don't think there is a way to train them to potty overnight this young.  Most doctors won't even discuss it as an issue until after they are 5 or 6.  

I would rather deal with a wet pull up in the morning than wake in the middle of the night :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Like PP said it is mostly biology still at this age.  You can withhold fluids a a couple hours before bed.  Otherwise, I wouldn't push it and I wouldn't be waking her up b/c that can screw with their sleep patterns.  
    Mom to Harmon 1/17/08 and twins Rachel & Callum 8/28/09 Photobucket 29o0v13.jpg
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    image-auntie-:

It's developmental, you can't teach it. She'll stay dry overnight when she's neurologically and physically able to do so.

Another vote for you can't.

Trust me... I tried EVERYTHING!!!!

Limit fluids at night is about as far as you can go.

Their brains have to build the synapses to wake them with the urge and that happens at different ages for different kids.  The deeper the sleeper the later they overnight train in my experience.

Both of mine day time trained at 20 months.  My youngest overnight trained at 2 and my oldest didn't until age FIVE.  I was beside myself trying to figure out what to do to help him but I kept reading, hearing and even being told by my pedi to back off and be patient.

I know it's frustrating.  My best advice is to wait until you see 4-5 dry pull ups in a row and then try underwear.  An ultimate crib sheet or some other waterproof liner will help ease the clean up process with accidents.  Our rule was with an accident came another pull up night.  Dry mornings meant underwear that night.

Most importantly be careful to not make it a big deal to her.  They pick up on your frustration! 

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
  • Options

Pee before going to bed.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

I have to say every lo is different too. My 2yr old is night time trained. She even drinks water right before bed. She just started waking up dry on her own.

My 4yr old still wakes up with a very full pull up. We limited her drinks & have her pee before bed so far but she has never woken up dry.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    image-auntie-:

It's developmental, you can't teach it. She'll stay dry overnight when she's neurologically and physically able to do so.

Most kids are able to stay dry at night about 2 years after she acheives daytime dryness.

If you get her up to dream pee, her body may become acclimate to a bathroom break in the middle of the night and interfere with sleeping through the night dry.

This. It's physiological. You can't "train" nighttime. They will do it when they are ready and it really depends on a lot of factors (heavy sleepers, whether you or DH were bedwetters, how long they sleep, etc.).

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • Options

As pp's have stated kids are different. This is what I did

We did nap time first. My logic, shorter time, less deep sleep etc. When she started waking up in a dry pull up regularly, I left her in undies for nap time. Potty before nap, potty immediately after. She never had an accident. We still did pull ups at bed time as usual.

When I start finding occassional dry pull ups in the morning then I started thinking about night time training. I was suspicious, bc if I woke her up, she was dry but if she woke up before me she was wet. I guessed that she might be waking up dry and peeing in her pull up bc she didn't want to get out of bed. So I started by putting her in undies, and then the pull up over the top and then in jammies after she tinkled at bed time.

She was dry some nights and not other nights. She started resisting wearing the pull up, so our deal was if she was dry for 5 days straight no more pull up. If she woke up wet, pull up that night. I still have to remind her to go to the potty first thing in the morning. (She hasn't worn the pull up in months)

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Dd was out of daytime diapers at 22mo. And night PT at...51mo (lol, i just added that up, basically until last month). She was having a lot of dry nights and wearing panties to bed with semi-regular accidents around 3.75yo. Then she had to go on meds that made her sleep more heavily and went back in diapers for 4mo. After that she refused to try panties... and woke up with a wet dipe every.single.night. For months.... Until her 5yo cousins came to sleepover. She went back to undies at night and has had maybe 2 accidents. The positive side of peer pressure!
    - Jena
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"