High-Risk Pregnancy

Night time insulin affecting after meal numbers?

my endo has me at 21 units of insulin at night, and it finally seems to have done the trick. my fasting number has been bellow 90 for the last 4 days. The problem it seems is that ALL of my other numbers which were fine to begin with have been much lower. For example... before, most of my after meal numbers were between 110 &115, when they needed to be under 120. Now they are between 70 & 90. no matter what i eat. I could have twice as many carbs as i'm supposed to have an i'll still beat 96 two hours after a meal. Is it possible that my long lasting night time insulin is affecting me all day?

I take it around 10 pm and it's supposed to be in my system for 12 hours. When they started me on insulin they said that i might drop my breakfast numbers a bit, but these new lower numbers are all day! even after dinner! I guess i shouldn't be worried because i'm not letting it get too low, but it's very odd. I used to walk after dinner to get my numbers down, and because it's been raining every night, i haven't been for the last four or five days. And i'm so tired these days that i end up falling asleep after i'm done eating dinner. I only wake up because my husband keeps track of the time and wakes me up to test. So theoretically my numbers should be even higher due ot the lack of physical activity. I had no meat, butternut squash lasanga tonight and my number was 72 two hours after eating. Two days ago i had three slices of regular crust pizza from dominos and my blood sugar was 86 two hours after eating. It's baffling.

I'm going to call my dietitian tomorrow and see what she says. 

any one else had this happen to them? 

Re: Night time insulin affecting after meal numbers?

• I haven't really had this happen to me, but it could be the overnight insulin.  Your body might have taken most of the day to get your fasting blood sugars lower before the insulin.  Since you are starting lower, you are staying lower.  That's my guess anyway!  

Do you/have you always tested on the 2 hour?  I test on the one hour.  I guess its supposed to see if there are any spikes after eating that regulate themselves and I wouldn't see that with the two hour.  If you are really curious, you could test on the one hour and the two hour for a few days and see what you get.  

Either way, the low numbers are great, especially if you aren't going too low!   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

FACEBOOK FEB 12 BUMPIES ADMIN - POST & PM ME TO JOIN 

• What kind of insulin are you on? Most long acting insulins work up to 24 hours. I was told once that my Levemir (Detemir) only worked for 12 hours but then later found out that for many people it can work a full 24 hours.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • i think i'm on humulin (spelling?). I'm at work so i'll check when i get home.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"