Food Allergy
Options

Hello and some questions!

Hey ladies. I haven't ever had a reason to post over here on this board but we have had some reactions to foods lately. I was wondering your thoughts on the following:

A couple of months ago DS developed hives after eating Sundried Tomato Hummus. I called pedi and they advised the Zyrtec we had on hand and observation as long as there were no breathing issues. The nurse said it was probably the tomatoes. I have been giving DS marinara sauce on his homemade mini pizzas with no reaction in the past. A few weeks ago MIL let him have ketchup. Same reaction. Hives on face.

Saturday I purchased some plain hummus and let DS have some because I thought that for sure his reactions were from the tomatoes at this point. Same hives on face. In the hummus were the standard chickpeas, tahini, soybean oil, garlic, basil, oregano, salt and a preservative.

All of the reactions have gone away with in a couple of hours with a dose of zyrtec. Are tomotoes cooked or prepared differently in marinara than that used in ketchup or sundried tomatoes? I read that this can effect a tomato allergy. Also, I read that sesame (tahini) is a high allergen. Would this be your guess for the hummus? I would think we would have noticed a soy allergy before this. All summer long DS has had ictchy eyes and runny nose/congestion on and off. His pedi said they were seasonal allergies but weren't bad enough to warrant testing and to just give Zyrtec if very bothersome. Would you push for testing at this point? Any other pointers? We have our 18 month pedi appointment coming up and I figured I should gather some info!

Thanks and sorry so long!

image. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Hello and some questions!

• Options

Since he's over a year, i would totally push for testing. it wouldn't hurt. There is no reason why they wouldn't test him since he's obviously reacting to certain foods he's eating.  And when you add respiratory issues -more reasons to test him.  If everything comes back negative, at least you had him tested -follow your gut. 

In the mean time, keep a journal and the possible foods that he may be allergic to.  (soy/tomatoes/sesame).

good luck!

• Options
    I"d pull all of the potential trigger foods from his diet and add them back in slowly and one at a time.  That way you can pinpoint it .
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"