Preemies
Options

35wkr w/ resp distress

hi, my friend had her baby at 35 weeks 3 days ago, and she is on 100% ventilator, and isn't improving...anyone experience something similar?

My ds was a 30 weeker, and only need a vent for a day, his NICU stay was basically to grow, and stop the As and Bs, so tho i have experienced a NICU life--8 long weeks, i didn't go thru what she is. I am being as comforting and supportive as I can, but would like to give her examples of others with immature lungs.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image noah joined us 10 weeks early.

Re: 35wkr w/ resp distress

• Options
    I had 28 weekers on vents for 3+ weeks, but they always had low settings and were on room air or low oxygen levels.  They just had premature lungs and needed time to grow and mature.  I have heard that many times 35 weekers can be the sickest babies in the NICU but then will turn around and do wonderful and discharge in a matter of days.  Hoping that your friend's baby turns around soon and can get off the vent.
  • Options
    my twins were born at 35w2d and DS spent 26 days in the NICU for resp. distress. He was on the vent for 7 days at 100%, skipped CPAP and went straight to the canula. He had several doses of sufurant (sp?) to help mature his lungs, the first 2 doses didn't do anything. It was like all of the sudden around day 6, he improved then came off the vent. He had feeding down before his breathing improved. Now he's a crazy active 2 year old with no problems.
    Our Blog TTC since 10/2004 Follistim+Ovidril+Metformin=BFP on 12/8/08 2 heartbeats-12/30/08 Betas- 10DPO-104 12DPO-274 Photobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My 35w1d was in severe RD and was vented for 2 days.  He started out on cpap and they quickly vented him to rest his lungs.  His body was trying SO hard and he would wear out very quickly.  He improved very slowly and was on nasal cannula for 15 more days.  Once his body figured it out, he progressed very quickly!  He also did great when he was eating, but his O2 sat. would drop in the 70s and 80s while he was sleeping. 

Many prayers for your friend and her LO.

Twin boys born too early at 17w4d and 18w2d in February 2010
    Transabdominal cerclage placed September 2010
    DS born at 35w1d in February 2011
    Twin girls born at exactly 36w in February 2013
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    thank you so very much for your experiences :) and prayers :)!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image noah joined us 10 weeks early.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"