Preemies

Am I being a germaphobe (please say yes)

I took Andrew to a trial music class today, and as expected, he had a blast. I thought it would just be singing songs/dancing, but there were instruments and toys involved. Of course everything he touched, he tried to immediately put in his mouth. It was great for him to see and interact with other kids and participate in the activities but all I kept thinking about was the germs!!! He will be 8 months old when we would start the classes (8 week semester) and we are coming up on RSV season. He did not qualify for synagis shots. My gut tells me that this is not a good idea, but he had so much fun and I hate for him to not interact with other kids and play just because I am worried about germs. WWYD?
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Am I being a germaphobe (please say yes)

• I'm a crazy germaphobe and we've been told not to go out much during rsv season, especially to places with kids. But I would check with your pedi and see what they think-it may be ok.

If you can go, see what you can do to make it safer. Maybe you can talk to the leader and explain your situation--ask if she can set aside special instruments for Andrew that you can sanitize when you come. That way he (and you!) can still interact some but minimize germ exposure. And of course if anyone looks sick, you can leave.

I can't wait til the summer when we can do classes like this-I know she'll love them too!

• I don't think you're being a germaphobe.  Sorry Sad

I like KCK's idea of talking to the instructor.  Maybe you can sanitize the instruments yourself.  Or maybe find some cheap ones that you take back and forth for Andrew to play with during music class. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I would ask your doctor about this.  They will be able to give you a better idea of what you should be doing.

I also like the idea of talking to the instructor about sanitizing things.  

I it was next year and he was 20 months, I wouldn't have a problem.  But, this year, I'd lean towards worrying.  

Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• I totally understand where you are coming from on this. I really want my boys to be able to participate in these types of classes but they are really germy. My pedi said we could try it but that if they get sick, we need to stop. He warned that "those classes are breeding grounds for RSV". However, if you sanitize and keep him away from the other kids, I think you are fine. At some point you have to live your life and so does he. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am in no way a germaphobe. I never did isolation, I am not a fan of hand sanitizer, nor was I nuts about letting people hold either one of my preemies, DD being a micropreemie. That being said, DD did not get sick until she was 18 months old and started mommy and me. All little kids are covered with germs and as soon as your kid gets social they are going to get sick. It is the nature of the monster.  Music was a little better since we were able to wipe down the instruments as the kids played with them and the parents in our class were really good about keeping sick home, but they still got sick. We never had anything major, just mild colds and runny noses, but it was pretty annoying. Like your kids, mine loved the class so much that I kept them in it. I never regretted it for a minute.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"