Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

XP: Is this a milk allergy?

I also posted this on the FA board, but seems like a lot of people here have dealt with milk allergies too.

My DD is 2 months old and I EBF. About 2 weeks ago, I noticed that her BMs were mucus-y and VERY green. The pedi said that it could be a virus, but potentially a dairy allergy, and told me to go off dairy to see if that improved things. She took stool samples and they've come back as negative for a virus or parasite. 

Problem is, DD is still having the mucus. It has improved and her BMs are back to yellow, but there is definitely still mucus. I cut out all obvious sources of dairy, but I have had chocolate and also accidentally ate a piece of cheese at a friend's house over the weekend (I got really excited by the manchego and just completely forgot for a minute lol). So, I'm assuming that those transgressions could explain why I've seen an improvement, but not total back to normal BMs, right?

I haven't talked to the pedi again (we're trading phone messages), but she did want to know if the mucus remained. In the meantime, does this sound like a dairy allergy? DD's other symptoms are extreme gassiness and discomfort. The skin around her right eye will also get red and irritated for seemingly no reason, and she sneezes frequently, although I don't know if those things are connected. She does NOT have eczema, rash, hives, or visible blood in the stool.

Oh - and I should also mention that she has started drooling a LOT lately. I've read that excessive drooling can explain mucus in the diapers, but the pedi has not mentioned this to me. I plan on bringing it up when we speak.

Thanks and SORRY this is so long! 

Re: XP: Is this a milk allergy?

• Options

I had to cut out dairy in my diet because my LO has a milk allergy. Her only symptoms were bloody and mucusy stools and fussiness. Once I cut out the dairy, the blood went away but they are still pretty mucusy and she is a much happier baby. I took a sample to the pediatrician, and she wasn't concerned. She called it "normal baby poop".

I think if you have seen some change in your LOs diapers, it's a good sign.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I could have written this exactly.  This happened to us a month or so ago...they had me stop dairy which didn't help.  Then they had us come back in and they did a cbc and stool samples.  They said he probably had an infection since his cbc was a little off.  Stool samples were negative.  They told me it was ok to eat dairy again.  DS's only things going on were the mucous and drooling,  His stools did get better over 2-3 weeks.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I would not be too concerned with the mucous.  They think DD has a milk allergy.  She had blood in her stool and it is still sometimes mucousy.  I have cut out dairy for almost a month.

If you have concerns about the sneezing and eye then I would talk to your pedi. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My LO actually didn't have the mucousy stools but rather blood in his stool and during feeding he would arch his back, scream, pull away, but go back for more because he was clearly still hungry. Hives can also be a sign. FYI most LOs that have a milk protein allergy also have a soy protein allergy and soy is in like every packaged food known to man (or it seemed to me anyways) so you end up having to make all your own food. :/  Excessive drooling can totally make the stools mucousy. Since my LO has started drooling up a storm lately, his stools have been mucousy but they never were before.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Hepcats, I was hoping you'd chime in. I've read your responses to other posts before. So are most LOs with milk allergies fussy and in pain when they eat? Because mine is not. She's actually very content most of the time, and sleeps pretty well too. The only time she really seems in pain is in the early a.m., about an hour after eating. She grunts, writhes around, and has explosive gas for about a half hour, then goes back to sleep. 
  • Options

For what it's worth, it does seem possible that it's a milk allergy. Both my DD and I are fairly sensitive to the proteins and sugars in milk. DD has always been a happy, easy baby and a champion sleeper. My big clues with her allergy were alternating constipation and loose/mucousy stools, lots of spit up, and LOTS of gas...I couldn't burp her enough it seemed. Sorry if it's TMI, but I had all the same issues before I figured out my allergy. If your LO is just as sensitive, they *could* still be exposed even if you've eliminated dairy. I've had to learn myself to watch for hidden dairy (usually casein or whey, but often just listed as 'dough conditioners' in baked goods) in foods you wouldn't expect. The strangest examples I've come across is vegan soy cheese that included casein in the ingredients and mints. DD has been on formula since almost day one for other reasons, but had her symptoms pretty much clear up after I switched her to a soy formula (thankfully neither of us are allergic there!).

Sorry for the lengthy post - good luck to you!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"