May 2011 Moms

4mo. shots tomorrow

When LO got his 2 mo. shots the nurse made him bleed from both legs and made him bruise really bad, so the poor thing was in so much pain even with the slightest movement, he wouldn't nap (like I've heard some kids do) he would only cry, so I gave in and I gave him some Tylenol. So, I'm dreading his appointment tomorrow, and I wondering if it's a good idea to give him some before his appointment? I'm thinking maybe the same concept of when I took IBU before my IUD insertion would apply here. What do you think?

Re: 4mo. shots tomorrow

• My pedi told me that there was a study done that showed kids who had immunizations and tylenol had less immunity than those who just had their immunizations. She also said if he seemed to be in pain to give it to him anyway.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• hm why does your pedi doesn't do the shots? If I where you I wouldn't let that nurse do the shots again.  DD got her shots a week ago her pedi does it so she is always fine (thx god)
  • Loading the player...
  • imagenes13:
    hm why does your pedi doesn't do the shots? If I where you I wouldn't let that nurse do the shots again.  DD got her shots a week ago her pedi does it so she is always fine (thx god)

Yes, this time I'm not letting that nurse give him the shots, but the last time was the first and only time so far, so no way for me to know how bad she was.

• I wouldn't give the Tylenol beforehand, I was told by my pedi that giving it before can reduce the effectiveness of the shots.  Also, I would talk to your pedi and say you'd prefer that nurse didn't do the shots because the baby had such bad bruising last time.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • The nurse always does them at our pedi, but each pedi has a specific nurse and our pedi's nurse is pretty much amazing.

I've also been told Tylenol before the vaccines could limit their effectiveness. 

imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers image
  • We have ours tomorrow too :( My Dr said it was fine to give it ahead of time. I didn't, but she didn't feel the studies were strong enough. Could you give it to him an hour later? Or is that the same?
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I didn't know about Tylenol interfering with the effectiveness. Glad I asked this tonight! Thanks ladies!!!
  • We don't give tylenol before but we do later that evening or the next day if they seem to be in pain or if they are running a fever.
    imageimageimage

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Sorry but my friend is an ME and told me that nurses who take their time and are trained properly do not make the children bleed.  DD just had her shots on Friday and there is never bleeding.  She is a little tender but good as new the next day.  I would ask for another nurse.  My pedi said only if I feel like it but basically warned me why start that routine when you don't have to. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"