LGBT Parenting

NYC

K and I are going to NJ next week (Oct. 2-7) and will be traveling into the city every day.  We've never been, so we want to fit a lot of sight-seeing into the week.  What do we HAVE to see/do?  TIA!  Also- want to GTG?

Re: NYC

• Ugh - that's the crappiest possible week for me to get away. :-(  If there is a day I can get out early I may be able to meet you for a late dinner but I just won't know until later this week.

I'm far from an NYC expert but what I generally tell family/friends that visit is to try to spread out the major things (empire state building, statue of liberty, etc).  The wait for the empire state building can be hours long so you don't really want to try to pile a bunch of other stuff into that day.

A good way to start might be to hop on one of the double decker tour buses.  That will give you a good idea of the layout of the city as well as some of the highlights you might want to go back to.

Of course stop by Times Square to see it but unless you want to do shopping I wouldn't plan on spending much time there.  Try to get to places like the village, soho, etc and just walk around.

Are you interested in Broadway? Maybe take one day and just go see a show.  Matinees are of course a bit cheaper but at night you get the cliche theater experience. 

Okay I really shouldn't be here today, got way too much work to do.  Keep me updated on your plans and maybe I can sneak down there for a bit.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I will have suggestions when I get home and can get into my Google Docs. I go 2-3 times a year to visit my brother and we always do something new.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I live in NJ and work in the city and would be happy to GTG!  My job is in transition from Manhattan to Staten Island, which means I don't know which days I'll be which place yet.  On an SI day I would be a bit later, and might not be as thrilled about going in to Manhattan.  

As for what to see...what do you guys like?  Art museums?  Other types of museums?  Famous restaurants?  Tasty local restaurants? Musicals or other theater?  Wandering neighborhoods?  Shopping?  I've done a lot of touristing here, so feel free to ask away. 

TTC with PCOS since July 2011.
    IVF Oct/Nov 2012
    Beta #1 = 77, Beta #2 = 190, Beta #3 = 1044
    Cautiously optimistic.
  • I had the BEST burger of my life in NYC in a place I'm not sure I can find again! Locals, help! It was in a hotel, but behind a black curtain - the sort of place you would absolutely, positively NEVER find if you didn't know it was there. Oh, that burger! Stick out tongue
  • Our favorite thing to do is just walk around - central park, times square, little italy, soho, all of it!   then we always check TKTS to see what show tickets we can score for cheap.

Keep me posted as your itinerary falls into place - a dinner in the city might be doable.  Maybe Daisy will get her first trip into the big apple :)

• I used to live in NYC and have a "recipe for 3 perfect days in NYC for newcomers" if you want to PM me your email address, I'd be happy to send it to you:)

Of course, it all depends on what you're most interested in, but some of my favs are:

The Metropolitan Museum of Art (though it doesn't advertise it, it's suggested donation; pay what you can)

Ellis Island is awe-inspiring, but takes at least 4 hours from start to finish to do it justice. So, go only if you have that kind of time.

Serendipity (famous from the movie of the same name and several other movies) is my favorite dessert in the city.  There is always a wait; go at an add time if frozen hot chocolate sounds as good to you as it does to me.

Chinatown is super fun for ridiculous deals, finding a meal by just pointing at a menu (ie. can't read the words).

I recommend fitting in the "5th avenue experience" all at once: start at Rockefeller Center, walk by Tiffanys and other fancy stores, see St. Patrick's Cathedral, play the giant piano at FAO Schwartz (now hidden in a corner on the second floor, but it's there), and enter into Central Park all within a mile of each other.

8th Street, between 1st Avenue and Avenue B in the east village is restaurant after restaurant after restaurant. If you want to go off the beaten path a bit, you can have an aweseome meal here. If you go, have dessert at Crooked Tree Creperie. Best crepes of my life (though I've never been to France).

A few more tips: NYC is a surprisingly cash-heavy city. Many small stores and restaurants don't accept credit or checks, so be sure to have some cash or plan to pay ATM fees.

NYC is also a walking city. Forget style and wear the most comfortable shoes you own. You're going to need them:)

By the way, the burger the previous poster mentioned is at Le Parker Meredian Hotel  in midtown:)  And it is  GOOD. Not to mention cheap.

Now I'm jealous of you..have fun!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageLolaBelle515:

By the way, the burger the previous poster mentioned is at Le Parker Meredian Hotel  in midtown:)  And it is  GOOD. Not to mention cheap.

LolaBelle, I love you. I owe you a burger. Smile

• I knew my knotties would come through for me!!  Thank you all SO much!  I should've given you a bit more info.  We're total foodies but vegetarians, so that limits us a little bit.  Katie told me today she pretty much just wants to eat her way through the city.  :)  I want to see as much as I can pack into 5 days.  I'm a huge nerd and LOVE broadway, so we'll def. fit in a show.  I've seen Wicked 3 times already, so any other recs?  We're trying to decide between Billy Elliot, Spiderman, and Beauty and the Beast (b/c K will enjoy something she's already familiar with).  Thank you!!  I'll come back when we have a better idea of what we're doing.
  • Food:

I have heard rave reviews of Vegetarian's Paradise 2, which is next door to the ever popular Red Bamboo.  SIL enjoyed Vegetarian Dim Sum House.  

S'Mac serves only macaroni and cheese, and it is the best macaroni and cheese I've ever eaten.  Lombardi's has the quintessential NY pizza I like best, although there are other options.  Rice to Riches serves amazing rice pudding in hundreds of unique flavors (French Toast is my favorite!) and is across the street from Lombardi's.  Junior's has a location in Midtown near all the Broadway theaters and has absolutely delicious cheesecake, great for post-theater.  Max Brenner: Chocolate by the Bald Man - I think it might be a chain, but the dessert is tasty.  Ess-a-bagel is in my (and many people's) opinion the best bagels in the city.  If you like perogies, Veselka.  I have heard rumors that L'Arte del Gelato is the best gelato in the city.  Carnegie Deli is famous and good but ridiculously overpriced. I could probably go on.  :) 

Broadway:

DW and I love Broadway.  Beauty and the Beast has been closed for a few years now, so that's not an option.  Billy Elliot is awesome.  Spiderman I haven't seen but the critics absolutely hated it, and there was all kinds of drama about whether it would even open because they poured so much money into it and it was so horrid.  Supposedly they've improved it a bit, but if I had limited time and money I wouldn't spend it there.  Book of Mormon is supposed to be amazing, but I think the tickets are hard to get.  Lion King is classic but awesome, if you think K would like that due to knowing the story. A few of the shows have general rush (note this is different from student rush, for which you must have a student ID) or lotteries, see Playbill, but warning that for some of them there will be huge crowds and/or long and early lines. 

Stuff to do:

If you like historical museums I really liked the Tenement Museum and the Transit Museum is also interesting (I own my nerdiness). 

For a great bird's eye view of Times Square, go to the 8th floor of the Marriott Marquis.  There's a bar and an expensive restaurant, but you can also just look out the windows for free.

TTC with PCOS since July 2011.
    IVF Oct/Nov 2012
    Beta #1 = 77, Beta #2 = 190, Beta #3 = 1044
    Cautiously optimistic.
  • You got so much good advice I won't pile on! Smile
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imageKershnic:

Broadway:

Lion King is classic but awesome, if you think K would like that due to knowing the story. 

My friend is Zazu in the Lion King right now, so if you are going, let me know and maybe he can get you backstage! We did the backstage tour and played with the puppets- it was amazing! 

image Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagenorika33:
    imageKershnic:

Broadway:

Lion King is classic but awesome, if you think K would like that due to knowing the story. 

My friend is Zazu in the Lion King right now, so if you are going, let me know and maybe he can get you backstage! We did the backstage tour and played with the puppets- it was amazing! 

OMG YES!

• I might be up for a GTG. That'd be awesome. not sure if it'll fly with the babies and moving though but keep me posted.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"