Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Need feeding advice..is this normal?

My boys are 3mos old, and eat 6oz of formula, every 4-5 hours. Does this sound like they are are eating too soon. My pediatrician in the beginning told me to figure an hour/an ounce.During the night, they can go 6hrs without eating, but during the day they are starving (screaming) at 3.5-4.5 hrs. This has been going on for just over a week now. Could it be a growth spurt? Because they are twins, their weights have been in the low percentiles since birth, but they ARE (and have been) gaining weight at a good pace.
imageimage Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Need feeding advice..is this normal?

• Options
    I never FF but I would think it's normal. My LO eats about every 3 hours They probably tank up during the day so they can go longer stretches at night.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    DD is 9 weeks and eats 5 oz every 3 to 4 hours during the day and sleeps anywhere from 5-7 hours at night. So I would think it is normal for your almost 3 month olds to be eating 6 oz that frequently during the day. But if you are really concerned talk to your pediatrician.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I combo FF/BF and my LO eats every 2.5-3 hours during the day. She gets around 4-4.5 oz of BM and formula. If they are screaming in hunger, perhaps try offering the formula a bit earlier, before it deteriorates into a full hunger meltdown? I would definitely feed them more frequently. 
  • Options
    That may have been a guideline for a newborn but I don't think that's one you need to follow now. If they're hungry, feed them! :) FWIW I feed LO about 5ish ounces every 2-3 hours during the day.
  • Options

Thanks! We have been feeding them whenever they seem hungry. I guess its just hard for me to throw the schedule out the window :). The reason I ask is b/c it feels like we are always feeding.

imageimage Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageSoGrateful10:
    My boys are 3mos old, and eat 6oz of formula, every 4-5 hours. Does this sound like they are are eating too soon. My pediatrician in the beginning told me to figure an hour/an ounce.During the night, they can go 6hrs without eating, but during the day they are starving (screaming) at 3.5-4.5 hrs. This has been going on for just over a week now. Could it be a growth spurt? Because they are twins, their weights have been in the low percentiles since birth, but they ARE (and have been) gaining weight at a good pace.

Hadley is 2 months old and she is eating 4 ounces every 2 hours... I think it's too often, but I am not going to let her be hungry, can't help what the dr's think. At night she is sleeping 8 hours, I worried about that too but her dr is okay with it...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"