Adoption

New Here - Birthmom Health Insurance Question

Hi. We have known the birthmom for many years and she has chosen us to adopt her child. She is due next month. Through her whole pregnancy everything has gone well. She is actually using an agency to place her child and I think that even though it added some cost to the process, I agree. She needs the additional support they provide and she felt comfortable with the social worker there.

Unfortunately last week she received a letter from the state saying that she has been sanctioned from her health insurance effective the end of the month and that she can get it back in two or three months. The problem is, she is due next month and will deliver before she would get insurance back. Apparently she didn't turn in paperwork that she was supposed to turn in (she says she did turn it in, I am not sure who to believe). She does have the right to appeal. She will maintain coverage through the appeal process but if she loses the appeal, she will have to pay it back.

Now, as the adoptive parents we signed paperwork saying we would take care of delivery costs because we knew she was on state aid for insurance as of when we signed the paperwork. I don't know what to do. PLUS, she had screened for precancerous cells prior to pregnancy and when they went to do a procedure they found out she was pregnant so the procedure is on hold. Well, the doctor wants to look at the cells again and will induce in two weeks if he thinks they have changed drastically since she is close to the end. I think this would blur the lines tremendously if we are now responsible. I just don't know what to think or do. Anyone have any suggestions? I can't think or do anything else besides contemplate this whole situation. If we had the money I am not sure I would be so fretful but we lost a lot of money in a failed international adoption and this is all we have left. We have no wiggle room for no insurance.

Part #2 - She doesn't really think this is a big deal and is just waiting for her appeal. I am freaking out though. Plus, she isn't even telling the hospital she is placing child for adoption because she knows us and doesn't want the hospital to come in and tell her what she is doing is wrong. She is a very head strong young lady. We plan on going to a hotel until she can sign parental rights to us. We live in the same city as she does. So wouldn't hospital just bill her as a normal patient? Social worker won't be at hospital at all so would they come after me for payment?

I hate to sound crazy but we have worked so hard all of our lives and I am a type A personality and to leave it to her to figure out during her own appeal which who knows if she would even show up to is crazy to me. The thought of putting this part of the process in her hands when she is totally disorganized and busy with her multiple other children totally flips me out. I need some clarity here ladies...sorry to vent, I have been trying to figure this out for three days on my own and DH doesn't get it. Haha!

Re: New Here - Birthmom Health Insurance Question

• Oh dear, that is a predicament... I really do bet that it isn't a big deal and the appeal will turn out okay, I work with mental health supports where lots of people on government medicaid and they get "denied" and have to reapply often. It almost always backdates and covers everything with little problem. I'm sure that it's very scary, but just try to take a deep breath and stay calm until you figure something out.

• I wish I had advice for you! Our failed match was due to a very similar reasons. BM lost her state coverage this month (month before she was due) and we were going to have to pay for delivery out of pocket, she also wanted us to pay for her to have a hernia surgery after delivery. It would have added at least $30,000 to the cost of the adoption. We didn't have a long relationship with the BM so our situation is much different.

You aren't in Arizona are you? 

June 2010-Lap
    b2b Injectable IUI #1 7/25/10 & 7/26/10 = BFP beta 14dpIUI = 133 MC 9/14 at 9 weeks
    b2b Injectable IUI #2 12/5/10 & 12/6/10 = BFN
    IVF #1 ER 3/28/11 ET 3 embryos 3/31/11= BFN
    b2b Injectable IUI#3 6/28/11 & 6/29/11 = BFN
    PAIF/SAIF Welcome :)

Submitted Adoption Application on 6/1/2011
    Homestudy 7/19/2011
    IVF#2 CX due to Adoption Match
    We were blessed with our daughter through the gift of adoption
    IVF #2.1 ET 2 embryos 2/14/13 7 frostiesLilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • First of all she will need to notify hospital when she goes in as there are papers that the hospital has to have her sign for adoption, escpecially if you are to be taking baby at discharge.  No one at the hospital will tell her what she is doing is wrong.  A social worker from the hospital will see her to make sure everything goes smoothly and will be the liason between her, the agency and you. I would definately explain to her that she needs to follow thru with her appeal.  I would say that if you signed papers saying you would be responsible for her medical costs, then the hospital would come to you for payment.  I would definately talk to your agency and lawyer about this. Good Luck
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"