Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Sleeping and bfing

My LO is almost 4 weeks and last night he went 5 hours between feedings, then 4 hours and then I had to wake him after another 3 hours, which was at 9:30am.  Each time I pretty much had to wake him. In the day time I wake him after 3 hours to feed him.  So most of the time I am waking him up, although sometimes he sucks his fist and starts grunting..but he rarely gets to the point where he cries or gets upset and demands to eat.  When I wake him it takes a few minutes, but it does get to the point where he is fussy and sucking his fist by the time I feed him and he never turns it down.  Is this ok/normal? The last few days he has awake time for anywhere from 20min to an hour before taking a nap, and then after 3pm is up until around 11pm or so before going to bed. I can tell he is sleepy and he will doze off but as soon  as i put him down he is wide awake and that's how it goes from 3pm to 11pm. Anyway...just wanted to see if this is all normal or if theres anything Ishould be doing different?

Thanks!

BabyName Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Sleeping and bfing

• Options
    Waking every 3 hours to eat during the day is definitely something I would continue doing. Being awake from 3-11 is generally way too long for a baby his age though. He shouldn't be awake more than an hour at that age, 90 minutes in his second month, and 2 hours in his 3rd. However, I'm not you and don't have your LO so if it's working, you can stick with that. If you find him to be cranky though, you may want to put him down for naps more often during the second part of the day. One thing that really worked for me was putting him down drowsy but awake and, when his eyes popped open when I put him down, I would stay there and pat, jiggle, and shush him until he drifted off.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Is there any caffeine in your diet?  Maybe it's making him stay awake for that period of time?  And I also have an almost 4 week old and if he would sleep through the night w/o eating...I WOULD LOVE IT!!  I would not wake him throughout the night but during the day I would continue to wake him to eat.  I guess if I were you I'd do that feeding at 11 and then when you wake up in the a.m.  Good Luck!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

DS is 7 weeks old now, and at 3 weeks was sleeping 7 hours straight.  Our doctor advised that we didn't have to wake him to eat because he will let us know when he is hungry. By 5 weeks, he slept 9.5 hours at night, but has now gone back to 6-7 hours, waking to feed and then another 3 - 4 hours of sleep.  I EBF, and he is growing very well.  He also was awake for long hours during the day.  We try napping all day and he usually gets either many small naps or a few longer naps during the day.  He is a happy baby, so we do what works for him.  When he fights sleep during the day I try swaddling him or putting him in his bouncy chair with his pacifier and he usually goes to sleep after nursing.

Good Luck! 

• Options
    imagehepcats:
    Waking every 3 hours to eat during the day is definitely something I would continue doing. Being awake from 3-11 is generally way too long for a baby his age though. He shouldn't be awake more than an hour at that age, 90 minutes in his second month, and 2 hours in his 3rd. However, I'm not you and don't have your LO so if it's working, you can stick with that. If you find him to be cranky though, you may want to put him down for naps more often during the second part of the day. One thing that really worked for me was putting him down drowsy but awake and, when his eyes popped open when I put him down, I would stay there and pat, jiggle, and shush him until he drifted off.
    Thanks! So does that include the time that they are awake for feeding? If my LO eats for 30 mins I would only keep him up for 30 more minutes? Thanks!
    BabyName Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    What worked for us is when I thought he should be eating in the night but he was sleeping I would change his diaper but make sure the paci was in his mouth. He would keep his eyes closed but be awake enough to nurse after and he would basically stay sleeping, no problems.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"