School-Aged Children

6 year olds BFF moved away WWYD?

My daughter made a best friend in Kindergarten last year.  I was happy that she made such a good friend but worried that this friendship kept her from making friendships with the other girls in the class.  For example, for her 6th birthday she was really only interested in having her over for cake etc.  Over the summer, they had play-dates together and I noticed the friend was at times too hyper and became upset when my daughter tried to include some of the neighborhood girls in the games etc.  This annoyed me.  In August her friend moved an hour away.  My daughter missed her but started school and seems happy etc.  Her mother has called and emailed about getting the girls together on the weekends for play dates.  She says her daughter is really missing her but I feel like I want my daughter to move on, and make new friends in her class.  I don't really see the point of trying to arrange play dates for them when we would have to travel an hour to get there.  If she was older then I would but at 6 I feel like she can just move on and make new friends.   AM I being too harsh?  

Re: 6 year olds BFF moved away WWYD?

•  I don't see why every once in a while you couldn't get the girls together.  I wouldn't do it every weekend but every once in a while would be nice.   Seeing this girl once a month or longer isn't going to keep your daughter from making new friends.
  • imagelittlemermaid:
     I don't see why every once in a while you couldn't get the girls together.  I wouldn't do it every weekend but every once in a while would be nice.   Seeing this girl once a month or longer isn't going to keep your daughter from making new friends.

This is what I was thinking

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I wouldn't do it as often as one month but at least once I would get them together.

On a side note- we are having the same issue here this year in K.  My daughter and another girl are so attached and she is not making other friends.  We talked to her this weekend about ways to get other kids involved with their games during recess so hopefully that will help. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"