LGBT Parenting

Visiting a new baby in the hospital

A good friend who just delivered her 3rd son on Thursday invited me to visit them in the hospital tomorrow. I'd like to bring them a gift, but want to be respectful of the fact that anything I bring to the hospital will then have to be schlepped home along with the baby, by the parents. I'd also like to buy something useful, but not sure what someone needs for their third child (other than diapers) -- with 4yo twin sons, I'm pretty sure they have all the clothes and toys and baby gear they can handle. Does anyone have any suggestions? I like to cook but bringing food to the hospital seems like a bad idea and I don't have any way to get it to their house. A gift card to Target or a baby store seems practical but not very personal -- I haven't ruled it out. Also, how long should I plan on staying at the hospital? I realized that I've never visited a new baby in the hospital before (I lived out of state when her twins were born), and I don't want to overstay my welcome but also don't want to rush off and make her think I don't want to be there! She had a c-section and everyone is doing well. Thanks in advance for your input! I can be kind of baby-clueless. Clearly I don't have one of my own, I come from a small family with only out-of-state cousins, and my siblings and most of my local friends are still childless, so this is uncharted territory for me.
Married my wife 8/2007 ~ TTC #1 since 7/2011
9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
IVF October 2012: 22 eggs retrieved, 17 fertilized, 5 frozen
ET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Blighted ovum discovered at 7w5d; D&E
FET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Missed m/c discovered at 9w5d; D&E
Karyotyping: normal ~ RPL Testing: normal ~ Hysteroscopy: normal
FET #2: 1 blast transferred 10/25; BFP 10/31!
EDD 7/13/14 ~ Induced at 37w4d due to pre-eclampsia ~ Born on 6/28/14
*Everyone welcome*

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Visiting a new baby in the hospital

• DW had a c-section, and we were in the hospital longer than we had planned.  A friend brought some sweet snacks and magazines - perfect. Another brought a favorite pastry and a gift card for the coffee shop in the hospital - we used the latter to buy lunch in the cool cafe rather than hospital food.  I guess I am saying that familiar/good food and reading material was nice.  Maybe a sweet card and a "gift card" for a meal you can prep in the future.
  • I agree ...with Madison we were also AT Hospital longer due to C section and  snacks and zines are perfect and or take out for nearby restaurants Hospital food is horrible but of course I have the only wife in the world who thought it was "NOT BAD"

- 2 Moms 2 Twins Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    our Blog -http://dosbabies.wordpress.com/
  • Loading the player...
  • image2moms2twins:

I agree ...with Madison we were also AT Hospital longer due to C section and  snacks and zines are perfect and or take out for nearby restaurants Hospital food is horrible but of course I have the only wife in the world who thought it was "NOT BAD"

I LOVED my hospital food! DW bought the meal vouchers so she could order the in room service also because our hospital in room food is the GOOD! She in fact looks forward to hospital food....

Anyway, snacks are good. The food was great but there were no snacks and as a trying to nurse mommy I was HUNGRY and DW stayed all day so snacks were a necessity we did not think to bring (I also forgot a bra but that is another matter entirely).

As far as how long to stay that is different for eveyone. I was good for about an hour or two at a time for anyone other than my mom. I tried to bf and I think they felt a little odd but I was not wrapping all up to do this and if you do not want to see my boobs you better leave the room.

imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • image2mommiesinoh:
    image2moms2twins:

I agree ...with Madison we were also AT Hospital longer due to C section and  snacks and zines are perfect and or take out for nearby restaurants Hospital food is horrible but of course I have the only wife in the world who thought it was "NOT BAD"

I LOVED my hospital food! DW bought the meal vouchers so she could order the in room service also because our hospital in room food is the GOOD! She in fact looks forward to hospital food....

Anyway, snacks are good. The food was great but there were no snacks and as a trying to nurse mommy I was HUNGRY and DW stayed all day so snacks were a necessity we did not think to bring (I also forgot a bra but that is another matter entirely).

As far as how long to stay that is different for eveyone. I was good for about an hour or two at a time for anyone other than my mom. I tried to bf and I think they felt a little odd but I was not wrapping all up to do this and if you do not want to see my boobs you better leave the room.

I am so glad that I was not the only one who loved the hospital food.  They have the best mac n cheese.  I am trying to figure out how dw can snag me some when she is at the hospital for her internship.

I think a gift card for a local restaurant that delivers would be nice so they don't have to cook when they get home. Not a home cooked meal but I think that would be a nice gesture. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks everyone!  This is super helpful.  I'm going to bake some cookies tonight and pick up some healthier snacks tomorrow (and maybe a trashy magazine or two).  Looking forward to holding my first newborn!
    9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    *Everyone welcome*

• I was just in the hospital for 5 days due to a csection.  My aunt brought me (in addition to a baby outfit) some amazing smelling hand lotion.  It was just nice to have it in the room - a small comfort that went a long way. 

SSG - did you deliver at Brigham? I only ask cause the mac and cheese there was amazing!

• Thanks again -- she was really excited about her snacks and I got to hold the baby who was tiny and perfect.  And I did not drop him or make him cry!
    9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    *Everyone welcome*

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"