Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

LO fussing if she's not sleeping or eating...

She's 6 weeks old tomorrow.

She naps great during the day and does ok at night (anywhere from 4 to 6 hrs). 

But when she's awake between naps, she doesn't seem to enjoy much of anything! I've tried to hold her, play with her in the bouncy seat, tummy time, etc.  Is she just too young right now?  Even when I hold her, she just doesn't seem to enjoy it and starts fussing.  I've made sure she's been fed, changed, not hot/cold and she still fusses/seems uncomfortable unless you give her a paci or rock her back to sleep. I just feel like a bad mom because nothing I do seems to matter. :-(

She is also SO FUSSY at night before bedtime.  I'm just at my wits end.  Please tell me someone else is going through this as well...

I'd like to start a bedtime routine soon, but some of the bedtime rituals I just can't see her enjoying.  Reading a book?  There's no way she'd sit through it.  Bathtime?  She hates it.  Massage?  Hates it.

I just wish I could make her happy, but nothing mommy does seems to matter. :-/  Tell me it will be okay?  I'm having a rough day.

Re: LO fussing if she's not sleeping or eating...

• Options

I promise it will be ok -- she sounds like she might be having a growth spurt.  LO's 6 week growth spurt went for a week, never really affected his sleeping habits, but he ate all the time and was grumpy when he was awake.  This was the age we found out he LOOOOVES his playmat.  Have you tried that?  Our LO will tolerate his swing and bouncy seat for a short time, but put him on his playmat (it plays music and lights up) and he'll be there for over an hour.

I am sorry you are struggling, the 6 week was the worse by far, but I promise he returned to his regular self and is a happy baby again. Good luck!!!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    It could be fussys from the 6 week growth spurt. That will pass. My LO gets the worst fussies in the evenings when he is fighting sleep but you know that's what he needs. I just started doing a consistent night time routine and it seems to have helped quite a bit. The fussies suck but they will get better promise! If you get really frustrated just sit baby down in their swing or whatever and just give your self 5-10 minutes to breathe. It will be ok! You're doing great!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I am going through the EXACT same thing. I just posted about this the other day, actually. Everyone said it gets better around 7 weeks, after the 6-week growth spurt is over. 

My LO is fussy unless he's eating or sleeping.... he won't even take a paci. I can't even hold him usually unless my boob is in his mouth. I can't wait for this phase to pass... he was a dream baby for the first few weeks! At least he's sleeping well. 

• Options

My LO is a month old and sounds exactly the same as yours- fussy when not asleep or eating and really fussy at night.

You're not alone. I'm sure it will get better. Hang in there!

Lilypie Trying to Conceive 21 to 37 day cycle tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageTanyaKM:

I am going through the EXACT same thing. I just posted about this the other day, actually. Everyone said it gets better around 7 weeks, after the 6-week growth spurt is over. 

My LO is fussy unless he's eating or sleeping.... he won't even take a paci. I can't even hold him usually unless my boob is in his mouth. I can't wait for this phase to pass... he was a dream baby for the first few weeks! At least he's sleeping well. 

This exactly, a lot of people have told me having the breast so close to LO is like waving brownies in front of a starving man...they smell it so they want it!  LO is much more easily consoled by someone else when he's like this.  But during his growth spurt, I just nursed him as much as he wanted...that seemed to help a lot.  At least he wasn't screaming!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My DD (now almost 3) was the exact same way.  Birth to 8 weeks was constant walking and bouncing and shushing.  Pretty much the only time she wasn't fussing was when she was eating or sleeping.  I think some babies just have that temperment.  It does get better though, and it isn't because of anything you are doing wrong.  She is now the happiest and sweetest girl ever.
  • Options

My son was the same way then he was diagnosed with reflux. Once he was on meds he got better, not totally but he was happier.

If my child was unhappy the majority of his or her awake time I would talk to the pediatrician personally.

• Options
    Thanks for all of your support and input, you guys are the best.  If it doesn't improve soon, we will be discussing with the pedi.
  • Options
    My LO is like this from time to time...not so much all the time but when she is up for about 2 hours, by the end of the 2nd hour she is sooooo fussy! Almost like she is bored or something. Things get better! I keep telling my self that! When I talked to my pedi about it they just said it is perfectly normal.
    Lynette Kaitlyn Jones arrived August 23rd, 2011! Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • Options
    imageJake's Mom:

My son was the same way then he was diagnosed with reflux. Once he was on meds he got better, not totally but he was happier.

If my child was unhappy the majority of his or her awake time I would talk to the pediatrician personally.

What were his symptoms? I'm starting to wonder if my LO might have reflux...

• Options
    imageLStorms:
    imageTanyaKM:

This exactly, a lot of people have told me having the breast so close to LO is like waving brownies in front of a starving man...they smell it so they want it!  LO is much more easily consoled by someone else when he's like this.  But during his growth spurt, I just nursed him as much as he wanted...that seemed to help a lot.  At least he wasn't screaming!

Same here! If I'm holding DD, she wants to nurse. I EBF and I feed on demand and often this = baby constantly on breast! I love BFing but sometimes I just get exhausted and have to hand her over to DH when she's fussy and I know she's not hungry. Hang in there, momma!
  • Options
    imageTanyaKM:
    imageJake's Mom:

What were his symptoms? I'm starting to wonder if my LO might have reflux...

He was very inconsolable, nothing made him happy for the most part unless he was slightly upright.

Nighttime was the worst with him just screaming. It was during those very dark months I realized how babies get shaken baby syndrome. I could have never done it without my hubs. Dark, dark days for me.

He urped/spit up after almost every feed and would cry a lot. He seemed to want to eat all the time too. He was on both breastmilk and formula, but went to only formula after a few months.

He ate very small amounts for a very long time, example he was on 3 oz for months on end every few hours. He never slept well, ever. It took 11 months for him to sleep through the night.

They said it is not uncommon for the flap in the esophagus that keeps the contents of the stomach in the stomach to be immature or weak which leads to the food coming back up aka reflux.

They diagnosed him with reflux and colic. Those days were so dark for us hubs got a vasectomy.

I would definitely talk to the pedi if you are concerned.

Goodluck.

• Options

Feel like our LO is doing the same thing. He seems to be recently sleeping a lot during the day. I want to try and keep him awake so he can sleep better at night but everytime I try to wake him up or play with him (tummy time or toys to stimulate vision) he just gets cranky. We try changing, feeding, holding. Eventually he gets tired and then back to sleep :)

He's 6 wks this Sunday so hoping he's going through a growth spurt, sounds common around this age from the other posters.

We've recently started a bedtime routine. Bath, bottle, swaddle, crib. Not sure if it's doing too much yet, but I know down the line it will help!

Good luck to you!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Going through the same thing...It's gotten a little better since starting formula because I think she is more satisfied (I had supply problems.) The other thing that has helped is her play mat, as PP mentioned. She loves it. But she seems to just want to sleep all day and cry all night.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"