Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Holy clogged duct!

I have had a clogged duct all evening. The whole inside half of my left boob is hard and painful. I've done everything I know to do - hot shower, massage, pump, nurse, dangle nursing and its not even getting softer or smaller. Ugh. The worst part is that my LO is going through a growth spurt and has been eating every 1.5 hours. I guess my body is used to the cluster feedings and doesn't want to go longer than that right now. Any other ideas?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Holy clogged duct!

• Options
    I'm having the same problem. I'v tried everything as well and nothing is workin. Sorry let me know if u find something that works. Good luck.
  • Options

I feel your pain...

Try this- take a washcloth and get it wet, throw it in a ziploack and then in the microwave for 25-30 seconds.You want it hot, but not burn your skin hot. Take the whole thing and while you are pumping (easier) or nursing, roll it over the clogged spot, towards your nipple. You kinda need to be rough with it. It gonna hurt. I have done this a few times, and after two sessions I had it resolved each time. Take a whopping dose of ibuprofen 30 minutes before to help!

Something about the heat and pressure worked for me. Hope it helps you!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks
  • Options
    Thanks! Will give it a go!
  • Options
    imagekatxattack:

I feel your pain...

Try this- take a washcloth and get it wet, throw it in a ziploack and then in the microwave for 25-30 seconds.You want it hot, but not burn your skin hot. Take the whole thing and while you are pumping (easier) or nursing, roll it over the clogged spot, towards your nipple. You kinda need to be rough with it. It gonna hurt. I have done this a few times, and after two sessions I had it resolved each time. Take a whopping dose of ibuprofen 30 minutes before to help!

Something about the heat and pressure worked for me. Hope it helps you!

This worked for me as well. I used one of those rice bags you can microwave (you can put rice in a sock too, same idea)...the heat is gentle and constant, but I put my fingers under it and massaged the hard area towards the nipple....as hard as I could take it. It made my eyes tear up, but it went away in under 24hrs. GOOD LUCK!!!

• Options

I think if you aim your LOs chin at the clog that is supposed to help.

I had one and wasn't BFing.  I had to use a manual pump and massage right behind the clog.  It was the most painful thing I've ever experienced.  It was ended up becoming mastitis, just not a terrible case.  I didn't need antibiotics, I just ended up staying home from the hospital and sleeping a lot for a day or two.   I actually couldn't get the right angle to get the duct unclogged, so H had to help.  I cried because it hurt so bad. 

Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options

Oh my God, yesterday I had one too!  They hurt like the dickens.  I will NEVER forget a pumping session ever again!! 

I pumped at 10ish, and by 3ish I had a hard lump the size of a baseball.  I decided that rather than pumping at work, I'd drive home (1 hour commute) and nurse.  I fed LO at 4 when I got home, then pumped, then nursed, then pumped....  I had DH put hot water, as hot as he could stand it, into a newborn diaper, and I wrapped that around my boob.  I read that trick on here!  It was staying rock hard, I was so nervous!  Then it was like, all of a sudden, I could feel it going down.  This was around 8pm while I was nursing LO before she went to bed.  Thank God!  I was afraid I'd have to get up every 2 hours during the night to pump, to prevent mastitis. 

It's weird, b/c at night I can go without pumping or nursing for longer than 5 hours.  BUT I guess I'm not eating and drinking at night....  Now I know!

So overall, it took 5 hours for this duct to clog, then 4 hours of constant nursing/pumping to get it to go away. 

• Options
    I second the microwaveable rice socks! Works wonders for me. Also, massaging in the shower.
  • Options
    Well, today is a new day. The clogged duct is definitely smaller and much softer, but I still feel a lump on the top part of my breast and deep inside. I have been nursing nonstop, taking hot showers, massaging, putting rice bag on it. Noe it looks like I have a bruise where the hard lump was...guess I was getting aggressive with the massage...
  • Options

Loads of good advice here.  I'm glad things are clearing up for you.  I had a raging case of mastitis that gave me 104 fevers for 4-5 days. My lactation consultant (and friend) had me do a reverse feeding position, which turned out to be the one thing that really softened that spot. Lay down on your side and face your LO so that the feet are up by your head. Also, be sure to take ibuprofen if you can because you're swelled up in there and with all the massage and pressure (which help!), it's just swelling more which is putting more pressure on the blocked duct. It's a vicious cycle, but once it breaks up you should be good.

GL!

~Sara Mom, Writer, Coffee Lover http://www.anarmyofermas.com/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"