Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

How to keep LO calm in the evening...

We are trying to establish a new bedtime routine that won't get LO so wound up and overstimulated but I'm having trouble finding things to do with LO in the evening that won't get him riled up.  What do you do with your evenings with LO?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: How to keep LO calm in the evening...

• Options
    We go for short little walks around the neighborhood. DD likes it when I hold her while we walk so she can look around. It is amazingly calming for her, I do this with her whenever she is a little fussy. We also read every night in the glider, which lulls her to sleep (we do that last thing before she goes to sleep!). 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I used to say that baths just excited my LO in the evening because he loves them so much, but I found a way to do it that really calms him down. I dim the lights as low as they go (think candlelight atmosphere). We use J&J bedtime bath. I do infant massage while in the tub. (He hates being rubbed down with lotion out of the tub). We really take our time. I don't talk to him at all during this process. It's quiet time. He seems to love it, and it leads up to the rest of our routine. We go into the dark nursery and do diaper, jammies, swaddle. We then nurse in the glider. No talking. Still quiet time. The only light is from our 90 gallon aquarium. After nursing, we rock while we look at the fish. When his eyes look heavy, I put him down awake. I put on his white noise and shut aquarium light off. It has been working great all week. He goes to sleep easily (which is not like him at all!) Unfortunately, after 4 hours of sleep, he is a nightmare the rest of the night. Wish I could do the bedtime routine every time he wakes up.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I never thought about doing a quiet time bathtime.  My LO has no issues going back to sleep, it's getting him to sleep...wish we could eliminate both of our problems.

• Options
    After playing crazy for the night, I'll usually feed B around 5:30, then it's bath time with J&J calming bath soap and shampoo.  Then we'll use the lotion and give baby massage, jammies, then swaddle, another few ounces (I try to cluster feed at night bc I know he's not eating what the recommended amount is during the day so I'll squeeze a few more oz's in), read Good Night moon, cuddle and paci in glider, put down drowsy.

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

imageDani0701:
    After playing crazy for the night, I'll usually feed B around 5:30, then it's bath time with J&J calming bath soap and shampoo.  Then we'll use the lotion and give baby massage, jammies, then swaddle, another few ounces (I try to cluster feed at night bc I know he's not eating what the recommended amount is during the day so I'll squeeze a few more oz's in), read Good Night moon, cuddle and paci in glider, put down drowsy.

Gotta love those J&J products, they smell SO good!

• Options
    Agreed! DH says they make LO smell like he came from a spa lol. But I agree with calmer bath time and baby massage. My LO LOVES the massage part of the night. :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Calm/ dim bath time is a great idea! I am going to try this tomorrow night. Thanks
  • Options
    Reading seems to work for my lil man.
  • Options

imageDani0701:

Oh those J&J bath soap smell so good. We use the lavender (  Im not sure if they come in different smells). I usually hate lavender , but I want to eat the LO after the bath, he smells so good. Big Smile

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"