Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Are you following the "try for one year" guidance?

Hi all,

Of course, I've seen that stat: ~85% of "healthy" couples (females 35/under, etc, etc.) conceive within a year.  

I'm about half way there myself, after trying for 6/7 cycles and as I continue to hear about people who get pregnant after one or two attempts, I can't help but feel discouraged. 

After a chemical pregnancy, my OBGYN did take an ultrasound to take a look at my uterus and ovaries, but that's as much as I've done.

I'm just curious how many of you are waiting that year out before considering some fertility exams for you and your partner?  

Best of luck to everyone trying.

Trying to Conceive Ticker

Re: Are you following the "try for one year" guidance?

• Options

I've seen many a cycle 11 or cycle 12 BFP on these boards.   

Don't wish IF on yourself.   Really, it's not all that glamorous.

TTC#1 Chart
    TTC#2 Chart
    IUI #1 - #4 (repronex trigger) = BFN
    IUI#5 on 10/28/2008 ** BFP 11/10/08 ** EDD 07/21/09 *** It's a GIRL (07/14/09) AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    med/treatment free BFP 06/28/10. EDD 03/05/11 *** GIRL #2 (02/23/11)
    beta#1 @ 17dpo = 1296 .... beta#2 @ 19dpo = 3034
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    it's the Bug and Baby Belle!
  • Options

Are you temping? Using OPK? There is no reason why you shouldn't wait the full year; it's guidance for a reason and, from what I understand, it's hard enough for the women who have already beeing trying 1+ years to get RE appointments- let them go first.

As for what I am going, I just turned 35, so in 6 months I go back in if nothing happens.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Whether you want to wait or not, most if not all OBs & RE won't even see you about infertility unless it has been 1yr (or 6mo over 35). I guess if you lied to them, but you would only be cheating yourself if you decide to go on drugs before the 1 yr mark.
  • Options

I think if you are not temping/charting and don't have any obvious or known issues that you should (and this is the guideline most doctors go by) wait the year.  

If you are charting and you know you are having perfectly timed sex and it's been six or seven cycles, then IMO, it would be more acceptable to want to have a conversation with your doctor.  However, if there are no known or obvious issues I think the testing/RE seeing portion of the program should still be done at the one year mark.  

If you are over 35, or have clear issues then that's a whole different story.

• Options

I know it is hard and it is always upsetting to see ladies on this board come and go after a cycle or two.

But 6/7 cycles really isn't long trying and not being KU. It sucks it takes some of us so long.

I am on cycle 14 right now. I just went to the RE right before this cycle started after 13 cycles, 12 temping, using OPK's, etc.

My DH did have an SA done at about 9 or 10 cycles. I went to my OB for my annual and talked with her and she said at that point having my DH have an SA done was appropriate and the first step.

Sorry and I HTH!

• Options

If you're charting and carefully tracking your cycles, and timing intercourse perfectly based on that, some doctors will see you sooner than a year.

But, when you consider that each cycle a normal, healthy couple only has a 20% chance of conceiving, it's not unusual for it to take awhile to get a BFP.

Mama's Clone - 07/18/12

• Options
    I'm going to try charting for 12 cycles and if nothing then I will see by doctor.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options

We've been trying for over a year already and don't plan on going in until January. We want to get through the holidays without the added stress of doctor visits, and this is my first month charting, so I really want to try everything myself before shelling out the extra cash for the tests..

Patiently waiting for our 1st since 9/2010.
    Dealing with MFI, good count, good motility, 3% morph-HSG all clear, all other test results came back normal, IUI is our next step
    May 2012- Clomid 50mg + IUI = BFN
    June- Cycle Break
    July- Forced cycle break due to cysts
    August- Femara, Trigger, IUI#2= ?
  • Options
    imageRvnsgrl81:

I know it is hard and it is always upsetting to see ladies on this board come and go after a cycle or two.

But 6/7 cycles really isn't long trying and not being KU. It sucks it takes some of us so long.

I am on cycle 14 right now. I just went to the RE right before this cycle started after 13 cycles, 12 temping, using OPK's, etc.

My DH did have an SA done at about 9 or 10 cycles. I went to my OB for my annual and talked with her and she said at that point having my DH have an SA done was appropriate and the first step.

Sorry and I HTH!

Hey! Just had to give a fellow Cycle 14'er a shoutout!! Hope you get your BFP soon!! Big Smile

Patiently waiting for our 1st since 9/2010.
    Dealing with MFI, good count, good motility, 3% morph-HSG all clear, all other test results came back normal, IUI is our next step
    May 2012- Clomid 50mg + IUI = BFN
    June- Cycle Break
    July- Forced cycle break due to cysts
    August- Femara, Trigger, IUI#2= ?
  • Options

I am currently having tests done with my Dr. on cycle 2, but we've been TTC for 4 months, and I can't be sure I've ovulated in either of these 2 cycles. (I have always had irregular cycles, and am on CD 94) It makes sense to go in for testing early if you suspect a problem, but as one of the wise women has said in the past "Impatience is not a fertility issue."

GL

Edit: corrected CD

• Options

I agree, at times it's very hard to wait it out but I'm going to be patient and wait the full year.  We are at the end of our 6th month trying with no reason to really suspect anything is wrong at this point (I'm 31, "regular" cycles, temped for 3 cycles to see if I was ovulating and I was, used OPKs, and also tried a few cycles of EOD sex for a 2 week window around O).  Personally, I have good days and bad days when it comes to being patient, but that's just because I let frustration get the best of me.  Between this board and some friends, I've seen a lot of 8, 9, 10+ month BFPs.  Come next Feb/Mar (hopefully not), I'll seek help if we're not yet expecting.  I try my best to take one cycle at a time. Smile   

GL, OP.

BabyFruit Ticker
    TTC since 3/2011
    BFP #1: 11/23/2011 EDD: 8/8/2012 c/p: 11/28/2011
    BFP #2: 3/7/2012 EDD: 11/17/2012
  • Options
    Impatience isn't a fertility problem. Please see the link at the top of the board.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    P/SAIF Welcome
    Invisible Finish Line
    3T's Traveling Ovary Blog
    7DPO Progesterone: low. CD3 BW: normal, HSG: clear
    DX: severe MFI (low all 3) and low T. Undergoing replacement therapy.
  • Options

imagebrookelynpaisley:
    Impatience isn't a fertility problem. Please see the link at the top of the board.

Yes

• Options

I'm amazed by some of the harsh comments on this board: "Impatience isn't a fertility problem," "Don't take the appointment away from someone who needs it."

I was simply ASKING if people are waiting the full year before going in for these tests, or whether they've encountered suspected issues that triggered them to go in earlier.

Never said I was going in to take someone's appointment, just sharing a bit of frustration in what I hoped would be a supportive environment, as I don't have any friends or family who seem to be trying for more than a cycle or two.

Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • Options
    imagetayray1:
    imageRvnsgrl81:

Sorry and I HTH!

Hey! Just had to give a fellow Cycle 14'er a shoutout!! Hope you get your BFP soon!! Big Smile

Aww thanks! Fingers crossed for your BFP soon too!

• Options
    imageEBliss44:

I'm amazed by some of the harsh comments on this board: "Impatience isn't a fertility problem," "Don't take the appointment away from someone who needs it."

I was simply ASKING if people are waiting the full year before going in for these tests, or whether they've encountered suspected issues that triggered them to go in earlier.

Never said I was going in to take someone's appointment, just sharing a bit of frustration in what I hoped would be a supportive environment, as I don't have any friends or family who seem to be trying for more than a cycle or two.

Okay, then. No we're not/didn't go in before a year because we know that a year is pretty standard as a requirement to be trying before seeing a doctor. Insurance companies don't cover (if they do at all) testing before the 12 month mark for a reason. If, however, you chart and see that you're not ovulating or that you have a short luteal phase, then it's a good idea to call a doctor because those are actal diagnosable cycle problems. However, without charting and timing to optimize chances of conception, there are no known problems... aside from impatience.

If you're looking for support and for us to tell you to run to the doc, you won't find it here. Spend some time lurking, read that link at the top of the board, and get a feel for the place. This board isn't for everyone and that's okay. If you want a softer environment, there are other message board sites that may be a better fit for you

P/SAIF Welcome
    Invisible Finish Line
    3T's Traveling Ovary Blog
    7DPO Progesterone: low. CD3 BW: normal, HSG: clear
    DX: severe MFI (low all 3) and low T. Undergoing replacement therapy.
  • Options
    imageEBliss44:

They aren't being harsh to be mean - they're being straightforward and honest.

Other than SA & simple ultrasounds the tests and treatments are expensive, time consuming, and painful.  So, no, I wouldn't go before a year, maybe even 18cycles.

That little guy in my siggy surprised us on cycle #13.  Sometimes it just takes longer. 

Also, it may seem like everyone gets PG right away but you don't really know what's going on and the ones you don't hear about are the ones who it took longer.

image   image

• Options

If I am not KU by december we are going to the doctor.  That will be after about 7 months of TTC, I am a very nervous person and I don't think it can hurt to go in sooner than a year.

• Options
    imageDanielleZZ:

If I am not KU by december we are going to the doctor.  That will be after about 7 months of TTC, I am a very nervous person and I don't think it can hurt to go in sooner than a year.

Nerves have nothing to do with it, it's impatience. If you arent charting you have no idea if your timing is good. The tests are invasive and some painful. Also, do you know that your insurance will cover it then.

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

It is frustrating,but I feel the wait will make me a better mommy when my time does come and it will for all of the ladies on here also. I am only 22 and DH and I have been actively trying for now 10 cycles now. The first 6 I was very obsessed,the last 4 I have calmed down quite a bit because everyone said "stop worrying it will happpen",and it hasnt yet. I am normally a very very impatient person so I feel this is a really great life lesson (for me personally) about learning acceptance and patience. GL dear!

Sorry! Also to answer your question I feel going at 6 months may be too soon,but I am going after this tww is up,because odd are that I am not KU this cycle,and we will be heading into 11 months.

• Options
    imagestaycee:

I've seen many a cycle 11 or cycle 12 BFP on these boards.   

Don't wish IF on yourself.   Really, it's not all that glamorous.

yeah....its pretty much the worst thing ive ever had to deal with

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    imageEBliss44:

FWIW I took your original post as an honest question. With that said if you are looking for support you might not be in the right place. Stick around... you can learn a lot here. If you are still concerned then call you doctor because he or she would be the best resource.

party-fails-crunk-critters-catnips-a-hell-of-a-drug GBCB- Leaving the bump in protest of the new changes. No privacy= no bump for me.
  • Options

Yes I followed the "guidance".

Went to RE at 14-15 months (maybe, don't remember).

There is a growing trend of REs not seeing people until they've been trying for two years because of the sheer numbers of impatient women knocking down their doors at cycles 7,8,9,10, 11, 12...

Fuuck TTC - I'm moving on.
    imageimageimageimage
    "It's a child, not a cheeto" Thanks mmariluh!
    "Ew. I've read all of two posts from you, and you stink like rotting garbage."
  • Options
    imagerrcraz7:
    imageDanielleZZ:

Nerves have nothing to do with it, it's impatience. If you arent charting you have no idea if your timing is good. The tests are invasive and some painful. Also, do you know that your insurance will cover it then.

Personally for me it is nerves, I am not annoyed that it is taking time I am nervous that something is wrong.  I am charting and we BD almost everday.  I didn't mean to say I would go in and have every test done under the sun, just check in with my OB and have DH's sperm checked.  I think everyone should go in when they feel right doing so.  And yes our insurance covers them.

ETA: I wasn't trying to sound rude, I just wanted to clear up that I wasn't talking about going in to start fertility treatments and all that after only 7 months.  I was just responding to OP question saying that I would go to my regular OB to discuss the things I was nervous about and see if she had any concerns (I have a few things I think are legit concerns).

• Options
    No, when my appointment gets here I'll be at 14 months.
    William born 9/7/07
    Violet Mae born 1/15/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageDanielleZZ:
    imagerrcraz7:
    imageDanielleZZ:

Personally for me it is nerves, I am not annoyed that it is taking time I am nervous that something is wrong.  I am charting and we BD almost everday.  I didn't mean to say I would go in and have every test done under the sun, just check in with my OB and have DH's sperm checked.  I think everyone should go in when they feel right doing so.  And yes our insurance covers them.

well that's just great.   Read your coverage closely though.  Many insurances will cover initial testing, but once you are labeled "infertility" they then cover nothing.   I've seen this a lot.   How do you get the label?    You go in for initial basic tests.   Catch 22.

TTC#1 Chart
    TTC#2 Chart
    IUI#5 on 10/28/2008 ** BFP 11/10/08 ** EDD 07/21/09 *** It's a GIRL (07/14/09) AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    imageDanielleZZ:
    imagerrcraz7:
    imageDanielleZZ:

Nerves are not a valid medical reason. You do realize that right?

Everyone is nervous something is wrong when they don't get pregnant.

Everyone gets nervous they won't ever find another job when they don't get called back after two interviews.

Everyone gets nervous when the airplane hits turbulence and feels like it is getting ready to drop out of the sky.

Doesn't mean you're infertile, you'll never work again, or that you'll die in a fiery plane wreck.

imageimageimageimage
  • Options

And you can say that you're only going to ask some questions/get a few tests just to ease your nerves but I've seen this play out a million times.

Tests come back fine, dr. then labels you as unexplained infertility (because like staycee said, the moment those tests come back, yay or no, you are labeled infertile in some way). Then of course you need to have more tests. And clomid. And progesterone. Oh the clomid isn't working, need to do IUI. Three IUI's later and it's on to IVF.

Infertility is not fun.

If you think you have nerves now? You have no idea. 

imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    You are entitled to your opinion and can think what you want, I was just talking about going in to have a conversation with my doctor.
  • Options
    imagestaycee:
    imageDanielleZZ:
    imagerrcraz7:
    imageDanielleZZ:

well that's just great.   Read your coverage closely though.  Many insurances will cover initial testing, but once you are labeled "infertility" they then cover nothing.   I've seen this a lot.   How do you get the label?    You go in for initial basic tests.   Catch 22.

I wasn't trying to sound rude, just answering her question about if my insurance covered them.  Insurance companies can pull a lot of crap, I have dealt with that with a family member and it sucks. 

• Options
    I waited a year even with having a diagnosis of PCOS even before starting TTC. Most reproductive endocrinologists won't even see you before a year and most obgyn's will just shove Clomid in your face and won't even do the responsible thing and properly monitor. Seeking help early WITH REASON I have no problem with, when people seek it early WITHOUT reason I have a BIG problem with. These people are filling appointment slots that people who NEED can't get into because they're full. 
    Little Slick
    Born 6.26.10
    Forever a Family 11.26.12
  • Options

imageMrs.Slick:
    I waited a year even with having a diagnosis of PCOS even before starting TTC. Most reproductive endocrinologists won't even see you before a year and most obgyn's will just shove Clomid in your face and won't even do the responsible thing and properly monitor. Seeking help early WITH REASON I have no problem with, when people seek it early WITHOUT reason I have a BIG problem with. These people are filling appointment slots that people who NEED can't get into because they're full. 

dude.... she has a reason:  She all nervous and whatnot.

TTC#1 Chart
    TTC#2 Chart
  • Options
    imagestaycee:

Whoops, must have missed that when my eyes nearly rolled out of my head.  

Little Slick
    Born 6.26.10
    Forever a Family 11.26.12
  • Options
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    imagestaycee:

imageMrs.Slick:

Doesn't she know all she has to do is relax?
  • Options
    imageMandyBrownNoser:

Yes I followed the "guidance".

Went to RE at 14-15 months (maybe, don't remember).

There is a growing trend of REs not seeing people until they've been trying for two years because of the sheer numbers of impatient women knocking down their doors at cycles 7,8,9,10, 11, 12...

Yep.  My RE mentioned this to us a few months ago.  He said they are considering changing the 'guidelines' to 24 consecutive months of TTC because of the large number of women who get pregnant on cycle 12, 13, 14, etc.  Also, due to the number of women who push to come in before 12 cycles because they're 'so close to the 12 month mark'.

FTR, these types of posts make my head want to explode.  There's too many of them on this board lately.  Oh well, c'est le interwebz.

TTC since August 2009
    June/July 2011 - IVF #1 - Transfer cancelled due to OHSS
    23 perfect embryos. All 23 made it to freezing!
    September/October - FET #1 - October 12th - 2 Grade A embies
    October 20th - BFP??! EDD - July 1, 2012
    Beta #1 = 154, Beta #2 = 352 Beta #3 = 3,800
    U/S #2 - November 14th = 133 bpm! U/S #3 & 4 - November 30th and December 7th = 163 bpm! U/S#5 - January 30th - TEAM PINK!!!
    Baby Sweets born on her due date!
  • Options
    I have lupus (which is in remission) and fibromyalgia syndrome.  My husband has low testosterone.  If we are not pregnant by six months, I plan on using an ovulation kit to make sure I am ovulating and he is going to take the test to see whether he is producing the "normal" amount of sperm.  If both tests go well (I'm ovulating and he's hitting the sperm quota), we'll wait for the one year mark before seeking help.  If not, we'll talk to our primary care physician and see what she recommends, whether that be seeing a reproductive endocrinologist/urologist or waiting it out.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

imagesadeathe:
    I have lupus (which is in remission) and fibromyalgia syndrome.  My husband has low testosterone.  If we are not pregnant by six months, I plan on using an ovulation kit to make sure I am ovulating and he is going to take the test to see whether he is producing the "normal" amount of sperm.  If both tests go well (I'm ovulating and he's hitting the sperm quota), we'll wait for the one year mark before seeking help.  If not, we'll talk to our primary care physician and see what she recommends, whether that be seeing a reproductive endocrinologist/urologist or waiting it out.

Just an FYI, the ovulation kits cannot tell you without a doubt you are ovulating, only that your body is gearing up to ovulate.  My Ob/Gyn went based on a test strip for one of my IUIs (before I got smart and went to an RE) and missed by over a week.  I paid over $500 for an IUI that had no prayer of working.  If you want to know that you are definitely ovulating you should chart your basal body temperature.  A spike in BBT is the only way to know ovulation occurred.  Your case seems to be a better reason to go to an RE (considering the low T and diagnosed medical issues) than someone who is just "nervous" about issues or impatient because "everyone else gets pregnant first try!"  Good luck! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"