Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

7 feedings last night! I'm dying!

My LO is 7 weeks old today and I thought we would at least be down to 2-3 feedings at night by now. Last night she slept from 8-12 and then woke up about every hour afterwards until we got up at 8. I know she isn't truly hungry, but nursing her is the only way she will go back to sleep. She won't take a paci as much as I've tried and patting her, rocking her, etc won't calm her down to go to sleep.

She's slept up to 7 hours before as well as sleeping for 3-4 hour stretches after her initial long stretch, but this waking up every hour thing has been going on for 2 weeks now and its killing me I'm so tired. Any advice on how to get her to sleep longer after she wakes up the first time?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: 7 feedings last night! I'm dying!

• Options
    I have no advice, but I hope things get better for you!  I can only imagine how exhausted you are, I know I would be.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Stop nursing at every waking.  If you keep nursing her back to sleep, that's just going to make her more dependent on nursing back to sleep every time she stirs.  I know you want to get back to sleep asap, but you need to look at the bigger picture.  Just feed at the times you know she needs it, and comfort in other ways when she wakes up an hour after a full feeding.  It might be worse (way worse) for a few nights, but once she realizes she can go to sleep without nursing it will probably get MUCH better.
    Photobucket

Bar tab = $156,000, Bus to Foxwoods = $0, Puking in the Stanley Cup = Priceless

• Loading the player...
  • Options

That must be really hard.  Are you EBF?  Would you consider pumping and using a bottle?  I find tommee tippee really mimic the breast, and my babies easily nurse or take bottles.  They tend to eat more from a bottle,and I always bottle feed before bed.  I'm wondering if she just isn't getting completely full, so she kind of wants to snack every hour.  Regardless, it will pass, my daughter did that for awhile but not anymore.  I know what you are going through...and it is so tiring and hard.  I'm all for EBF, but I just couldn't do it, and one positive is that DH can get up and help for a feeding. 

good luck

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    What other ways to comfort her do you recommend? I've tried patting her, rocking her, shushing her for up to 20 minutes before, but all she does it root and cry until I nurse her. Hearing her cry like that for 20 minutes kills me, and it doesn't seem to do any good. I'm not ok with CIO and certainly not at her age.
  • Options
    btw-the photos in your blog are amazing! are you the photog?  The colors and all are just so vibrant!  I wish I were as good as that
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Aye! Thats rough. We have a waking up at 2 am and thinking its 'time to get up' problem. Not sure how to solve it. She is hungry...but its NOT time to get up!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagegoogle123:
    btw-the photos in your blog are amazing! are you the photog?  The colors and all are just so vibrant!  I wish I were as good as that

Thanks! They are all mine, except for the maternity and newborn portraits. 

• Options

imageleighzlou:
    What other ways to comfort her do you recommend? I've tried patting her, rocking her, shushing her for up to 20 minutes before, but all she does it root and cry until I nurse her. Hearing her cry like that for 20 minutes kills me, and it doesn't seem to do any good. I'm not ok with CIO and certainly not at her age.

Are you swaddling her? My LO will wake up if he is not swaddled tightly and he gets and arm out. Also, have you tried putting the paci  next to your boob and then rocking her sideways like that (almost like she's nursing but sucking on the paci instead). This might get her more use to the paci and she won't be eating so she won't get use to eating that many times at night. 

Good luck. It might also be 6 week growth spurt.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Ugh, my 8 week old is going from bad to worse too!  I do NOT recall the other two awake this much at night.  No advice, but you're not alone. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"