School-Aged Children
Options

At what age did you let DC use the restroom alone in a public place?

I'm just curious.  DD asked to use the restroom by herself today.  We were eating out and I couldn't see the restroom from the table.   I let her go but I did go check on her.   She had on a gymnastics leotard under her dress and I wanted to make sure she was able to get it down . It wasn't busy and I don't live in a high crime area...but it was a hard debate that I wasn't ready for.  DD is 6 years, 1 month. Most of her friends are older than her and her BFF has a single father; her friends have been doing this for a while.  She is hating being "babied" lately.   I want to give her space but I also want her to be safe.  So, what age is this okay or when did you start?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: At what age did you let DC use the restroom alone in a public place?

• Options
    My oldest is 7, and I let him if I am direct sight of the door, and even then, I am not totally comfortable with it.
  • Options

I will let Ben go in alone, but I'm always waiting outside the restroom (like Target or restaurants).  He is 5y5m.  If he looks in and sees more than probably one person, he'll come back out and ask to go in the girls with me. 

I also will let Nat go alone in the same situation (she'll be 4 in November) - unless I know she can't reach the water/soap.  She's much more independent - and often thinks she's just as old as Ben/wants the same allowances. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I think he was a young 5. At places where I felt comfortable and where I had a direct line to the door.

At this point, he's a very tall 6-year-old, so it feels a little awkward to bring him in the ladies room with me.  But, on the other hand, I won't leave him outside while I go in - and DD is at the stage where public restrooms are the best thing ever, so we go in a lot...

• Options
    DS started asking around 5 y/o and, I agree with Auntie, it was b/c he felt uncomfortable in the ladies room.  As long as it is a quiet, low traffic place and I can be outside the door or see the door, I'm ok with it.  He has to come in with me at the grocery store, places like Target, busy restaurants, etc.  I love places with family bathrooms! 
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Options

DD probably around 6 or 7, But DS was probably closer to 5 but he had to count out loud really loud so I can hear him from outside and if he stopped counting for any reason I would come in.

I only had to go in once and that was b/c he was playing with the water in the sink.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    This year (6), I have started allowing him (if it is not busy).  I do wait outside the door and don't hesitate to open it if he seems to be taking too long.
    Cheryl, Evan 4.25.05, Paige 7.2.07
  • Options
    I recently started letting DD1 go by herself if the bathroom is in my line of sight. She turned 5 in August. I will go and check on her though to make sure she can reach the faucet, soap and paper towels to wash her hands.
    Child #1: 6 yo DD Child #2: 2yo DD
  • Options
    Depends on the place, but I generally let my 8 year old use the bathroom by herself.  Sometimes I'll have my almost 7 and 8 year old go together so they have a "buddy". 
  • Options
    DD1 was about 5 when I started as long as I was right outside the door.  Funny story about this....a couple of weeks ago I was printing pictures at TArget and my 2nd needed to go so I told both girls to go in since I was right next to the bathroom.  Well, 30 seconds later #2 walks out with her pants around her ankles to ask me to lock the door!  Mortifying.  Thank god she had a dress over her pants so you couldn't see anything.  It was hilarious!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I let DD go into the stall alone since she was about 5 then now that she's been through Kindergarten and is in 1st grade, I'll read the situation and choose to either let her go in completley by herself or if I go inside the bathroom but let her take care of things on here own in the stall.  It usually works pretty well and it doesn't have the "hovering parent" factor because it's usually things like a gas station or Walmart where I'd likely be going at the same time too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    About 6 or 7 -- first grade.  My DD was pretty eager to just go on her own; I've had to push DS a little, but he's so tall that it looks odd for him to come in the women's room with me these days.  I started out only at places that were familiar to my kids, and where I could see my kid all the way to the bathroom door, or I stood outside the bathroom door.  We worked up to more independence from that point.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Options
    I'll let my 6yo go in if I can see the bathroom door.  However, she still struggles getting some of the stalls locked
    DD(7), DS(4.5), DS(2.5), DS(baby)
  • Options
    I let DD1 go alone now (5 yrs) and stand somewhere where I can see the door. She's tall enough to reach the soap and water pretty much everywhere, or she'll come and let me know if she can't.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • Options

We started letting him go on his own around when he turned 5- like others, I always wait right outside the door for him.

• Options
    Nova has started wanting to be more independent when it comes to things like that. So i make sure im within the line of sight or if i cant be, without thinking she's being 'babied', ill pretend that i have to do too.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageshouldbworkin:
    DS started asking around 5 y/o and, I agree with Auntie, it was b/c he felt uncomfortable in the ladies room.  As long as it is a quiet, low traffic place and I can be outside the door or see the door, I'm ok with it.  He has to come in with me at the grocery store, places like Target, busy restaurants, etc.  I love places with family bathrooms! 

This.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"