Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

rice cereal...when???

When did you start giving LO rice cereal mixed in with formula/ bm??

My LO will be 3 months old soon, He is always fussy!! He is calm for maybe 10 minutes after a feeding, ans otherwise is constantly fussy.  My mom and I think its bc he isnt satisfied with the fornula...He always feels hungry, He is about 15 lbs and takes about 8 oz at a feeding...i know thats big, and alot of fomula for a almost 3 month old. But because of his size, i'm thinkin its not enough.

My mom wants to try giving his rice cereal mixed with his formula to make it thicker. If it will make my baby happy, i'm willing to try it. Anyone else do this? I know theyre not supposed to get solids until 4 months, but we were thinking of adding a bit just to make the formula thicker. thoughts?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image. image. image

Re: rice cereal...when???

• Options
    I would definitely not do it until you speak to your pedi first. From what I understand, solids don't necessarily make them feel more full, at least in the amounts you begin to introduce to them, and formula or BM should be their primary source of nutrition because of all the vitamins and nutrients in them. All that being said, if you do start it, it's probably best not to put it in the bottle at this point, unless you think his issue is reflux. If you put it in the bottle, you usually have to get special nipples that allow the thicker mixture to flow through. If you mix it with formula in a small bowl and use a baby spoon, he gets to start the solids eating process a bit earlier than most but he gets used to it. Usually people don't intro solids until 4 months at the earliest unless, like I said, the whole reflux thing is an issue.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    That's what our moms did in their generation but it's very outdated advice. It's not recommended today and anyway- solids belong on a spoon, not in a bottle. I wouldn't do it. The only reason I know people do is if their LO has severe reflux.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My LO is 10 weeks and we have been adding rice cereal to his formula per the doctor's advice. LO has reflux. We had to lower the amount of formula though, because cereal has alot of calories, so we give less formula. I think the cereal is making him feel full after feeding, but he gets hungry quicker. Mixing cereal with formula its a pain in the a**. I wish we didn't have to do it and wait until he can take it by spoon. I have to be very careful when feeding him, cause I think cereal makes him kinda choke and cough.

And in case you are wondering, I don't think cereal helps with sleeping better at night, unlike what our moms say.

Thats my experience with cereal in his formula. I would talk to the pediatrician and I would start with spoon when the time is right, not bottle. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Not good advice.  You need to talk to your pedi. The new recommendation for solids is 6 months.  Some people do start at 4, though.
    Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options
    I honestly don't think hunger is the problem, especially not with 8oz a feeding, wow. My 15 lb baby is EBF, only eats about 6 times a day and is perfectly satisfied. He's probably just a colicky baby, which goes away on it's own. You are going to have one seriously overfed and cranky, bloated kid if you start adding cereal to those 8oz bottles.
  • Options

imagex0stephanie:
    I honestly don't think hunger is the problem, especially not with 8oz a feeding, wow. My 15 lb baby is EBF, only eats about 6 times a day and is perfectly satisfied. He's probably just a colicky baby, which goes away on it's own. You are going to have one seriously overfed and cranky, bloated kid if you start adding cereal to those 8oz bottles.

I totally agree with this.

Even if it isn't colic, he could just be a fussy baby. 

• Options

imagex0stephanie:

I agree. My LO is 15lbs 13oz and eats 4oz of formula and one tablespoon of cereal, 6 times day. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Please do not do this without speaking to your pedi first. Adding rice cereal to your LO's bottle will not help his appetite nor will it help him to sleep better. If anything, it may cause him to become even fussier since babies' stomachs are not capable of digesting solid food at this age.

As my pedi states, unless a baby has reflux, cereal should never go in a bottle. The only way a baby should eat cereal is by spoon when fully ready for solids bearing no medical issue that would warrant starting it sooner.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

He's probably cranky from eating so much food. That's twice what my 14lb kid eats.

Maybe he's not realizing he's full as soon as he should be and thinks he wants more, then cries because he has a stomachache. We dealt with this when I was giving my one month old 5 oz trying to make him happy and it was doing the opposite. Now we have to feed on a schedule because he never realizes he's full until its too late.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageEpiphany27:

He's probably cranky from eating so much food. That's twice what my 14lb kid eats.

Maybe he's not realizing he's full as soon as he should be and thinks he wants more, then cries because he has a stomachache. We dealt with this when I was giving my one month old 5 oz trying to make him happy and it was doing the opposite. Now we have to feed on a schedule because he never realizes he's full until its too late.

This is a very good point.  This totally happened when we tried medium flow nipples.  LO screamed so bad because his belly got so full so fast he wasn't used to it.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"