Military Families

Military Hospitals and Question - How many weeks?

My husband is AD/USAF. Having a baby at Fort Belvoir's new hospital (VA - D.C. area).

Anyway, I know all doctors are different, but generally what's the longest they will let you go until they induce?

My due date is 30 Nov and my parents want to fly out here but tickets are quite expensive. They have one week but want to make sure he's here. They were thinking about the 3rd, but I told them that may be way too early in case he's late.

Can you ask to be induced after 40 weeks or how does that work? Sorry, this is all so new to me. Thanks.

Re: Military Hospitals and Question - How many weeks?

• Every doc is different, as you mentioned. Some won't do convenience inductions at all - my doc wouldn't induce unless there was a health issue, but he was very anti-intervention and didn't induce until 42 weeks. Inducing also skyrockets your chances of major intervention, such as a c-section.

If it were me, I'd ask them to put the trip off for a few weeks until after you're due, at the very least. That's cutting it really close to your due date, and most first babies are late. I know you didn't ask for opinions, but no way in h3ll would I plan an induction just to fit a schedule or save my parents a few hundred bucks. Just my $0.02.

Could they come out for Christmas instead of so close to the birth? I love my folks but honestly the thought of having them all up in my house and business for the first few weeks while I'm recovering/dealing with an infant was nervewracking. They flew out at 6 weeks instead.

• Tell them to come 2 weeks after your due date. I'm sure he'll be here by then and you dont have to stress about ickets.

My parents flew from Texas to Alaska when I had my ds....I understand expensive.

I wouldn't asked for an induction for conveinece such as that. 

If your dh was deploying or soething I would do an early induction, for family...nah.

Good luck!!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • It is pretty standard practice to not induce unless medically needed. I second the PP and have your parents fly out 2 weeks after your due date.
  • Thanks. They are not able to fly out around Christmas because of their work. They can either fly out then or next year. I guess seeing them without the baby is better than not seeing them at all.

I just didn't know if they should spend the money. It is about $1600 for tickets, and just sad if they don't get to see the baby...

• imageAndreaArdelean:

My husband is AD/USAF. Having a baby at Fort Belvoir's new hospital (VA - D.C. area).

Anyway, I know all doctors are different, but generally what's the longest they will let you go until they induce?

My due date is 30 Nov and my parents want to fly out here but tickets are quite expensive. They have one week but want to make sure he's here. They were thinking about the 3rd, but I told them that may be way too early in case he's late.

Can you ask to be induced after 40 weeks or how does that work? Sorry, this is all so new to me. Thanks.

My hubby is AF & working out of Belvoir. Maybe they know each other since there's such a small AF contingency there ;)

• I was told that if I reached 41 weeks, an induction would be scheduled.

• I delivered my son in January at the old DeWitt hospital and I was told they induce 10 days after your due date.

I dont know how they do it at the new hospital.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image image
  • Every doctor is different, like you said. We used to be AF too. Anyway, when I was pregnant with DD, the doctor wanted to induce me a week later then her due date if she did not come on her own. Low and behold, she came right on her due date! All & all it depends on your doctor, the babies' health, size, your health. I think my doctor wanted to induce me a week later because she was supposed to be 8lbs, doc was wrong though, she came out at 9lbs, 6oz, on time! Whew!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thank you all so much for your help. It means a lot. They are just so crazy there right now with the move that I will wait until my next appointment to ask for sure.

I wish our husbands knew each other. Unfortunately, he works downtown!

• imageAndreaArdelean:

Thank you all so much for your help. It means a lot. They are just so crazy there right now with the move that I will wait until my next appointment to ask for sure.

I wish our husbands knew each other. Unfortunately, he works downtown!

gotcha! mine is stationed at Belvoir but doesn't work on the actual post but right off-site. 

• You may even try the 2nd week of January. Baby won't be brand new, but you know he'll be here and flights should be cheaper. Also, it will give you a little time to get your own routine going and be more comfortable with everything before they get here.

• imagedandygrl:

You may even try the 2nd week of January. Baby won't be brand new, but you know he'll be here and flights should be cheaper. Also, it will give you a little time to get your own routine going and be more comfortable with everything before they get here.

I agree with the idea of waiting until January. You're delivering smack dab in the middle of cold and flu season and this would give you a chance to get some vaccinations and such in beforehand. And yea, giving yourself some time to get into a routine and figure some things out might help you out more than you think. Baby will still be plenty new and adorable in January. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"