Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Holding head up at 7 weeks

Hi all, My LO (7 weeks old) has been trying to hold her head up every once in a while for a couple weeks, but it's very rare that she even tries. I give her many opportunities, but she just isn't trying as much as I'd like. I have 2 friends with babies of the same age, and their babies can already hold their heads up pretty well. Is my LO behind in her development?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Holding head up at 7 weeks

• Options
    You are going to drive yourself crazy if you try to compare your baby to those of your friends.  Believe me, with twins, it's difficult not to do that.  D has been holding his head up (a lot) on his own for a couple of weeks (my babies are 7 weeks).  He is extremely strong, both in his neck and his legs.  G has shown no interest in this so far.  He is still like a sack of potatoes and needs his neck supported all the time.  I know my DH worries sometimes that one is behind the other development-wise, but every baby develops at his/her own pace.  No worries!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Don't worry about it yet. Most babies don't really hold their heads up until 3 months old. Just make sure you give her 10 mins of tummy time several (like 6 or more) times a day and she'll get stronger everyday.

Tummy time includes holding them to your stomach or on your shoulder, propped up on their belly in a boppy, etc.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagelololoco:

Don't worry about it yet. Most babies don't really hold their heads up until 3 months old. Just make sure you give her 10 mins of tummy time several (like 6 or more) times a day and she'll get stronger everyday.

Tummy time includes holding them to your stomach or on your shoulder, propped up on their belly in a boppy, etc.

This.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageJennyAnne022776:
    You are going to drive yourself crazy if you try to compare your baby to those of your friends.  Believe me, with twins, it's difficult not to do that.  D has been holding his head up (a lot) on his own for a couple of weeks (my babies are 7 weeks).  He is extremely strong, both in his neck and his legs.  G has shown no interest in this so far.  He is still like a sack of potatoes and needs his neck supported all the time.  I know my DH worries sometimes that one is behind the other development-wise, but every baby develops at his/her own pace.  No worries!

My twins have developed differently in this area as well.  DS could hold his head steady from day one (ridiculous) and DD has just started holding her head steady in the last couple weeks.

• Options

Our LO is 8 weeks.  During tummy time she rarely tries to lift her head...she'll turn it from side to side, but doesn't really hold it up for any amount of time.

But, if we lay her stomach on our chest while we sit down she loves to lift her head and look all around.  Have you tried this vs. just tummy time on the floor?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"