Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

BFing moms of 3- to 4-week-olds

How long do you nurse on each side? I'm thinking LO has finally gotten more efficient at breastfeeding... since he was born we've been doing 20 minutes per side and I had to do a lot of breast compression and massage to keep him awake and sucking. 

Lately he's been sucking much better, and he's been really fussy towards the end of our feedings for the past few days. I would keep trying to relatch him and he would pull off and cry. I'm pretty sure it's because he is full and doesn't want anymore. But I'm still stuck on this notion that he's not eating enough if he's not doing 20 minutes a side. I'm probably overthinking this, but after getting freaked out by a LC when he was a week old that he was losing too much weight (he's since been gaining like a champ and she freaked me out for nothing), I'm just paranoid.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: BFing moms of 3- to 4-week-olds

• Options

My DS nursed 5-10 min on one side every 3-4 hours and he was full from that. I would let him lead. There is no reason he needs to nurse from both sides each time he eats. Its actually better just to nurse from one so that he gets enough of the hindmilk.

If hes hungry, he'll eat! :) Unless he's losing weight, I would let him lead. GL

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I stopped offering both sides around 4-5 weeks, and just let him nurse as long as he wants on one side and then nurse from the other side at the next feeding.  You're right, they get much more efficient around then and don't take as long. Try just giving him one side and and see how he does.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My 4 week old nurses about 15-30 minutes depending on the time of day. Sometimes he goes for 20 minutes on each side, but rarely.  Sometimes he wants both sides, sometimes he doesn't.  I always let him lead.  If he pulls off and is fussy, I pull him up and lay him on my chest for a few minutes to be sure.  If he is still hungry, he moves himself back in that direction.  If not, he lays there content and I know he is finished.
  • Options
    My baby girl usually eats anywhere from 10-20min from one boob. I only ever offer her the one side, she RARELY takes anything from the other. She is gaining weight like a milk monster so I know she's doing fine. If I pump and feed her from a bottle she usually drinks anywhere from 3-4oz.
  • Options
    My son is a bit older now, but at 3-4 weeks he only ate from one side and rarely ate for longer than 10 minutes.  He gained almost 3 lbs in 3 weeks according to his 1 month ped visit, so despite all my worrying he's just a really fast & efficient eater.  Agree with all PPs that you should let baby lead - he'll tell you if he's had too much or too little.

DS1 born 08.02.11

DS2 born 12.05.13

• Options
    DS2 only eats from one side per feeding, and only for 5-10 minutes.  He spits up like crazy if he nurses on both sides (I think I might have over-active letdown).  Definitely let him lead the feedings... babies are cool like that - they definitely know when to start/stop eating! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"