Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

2nd time moms...

What is something that you are going to do differently with your second?

Re: 2nd time moms...

• Options
    Not stick to his schedule all the time. We had always made sure to be home by a certain time to get him in bed by bed time that when we did start staying out an hour or two later past bed time he would be a nightmare. He would be fine when we were out but then would cry and be up all night long. We eventually just had to let him CIO when we stayed out past him bed time and doing CIO is not fun at 12+ months.
    Logan - 11/09, Lander 08/11, Baby #3 ~It's a girl!!~ EDD: 04/10/14

• Options
    Well, I didn't have the time off with my daughter that I have with my son so really my changes are emotional.  I will ENJOY him more, worry less about money and just enjoy it.  We, like the previous poster; kept and still keep daughter on a tight schedule because when we deviate from the schedule a little monster erupts.  So schedules are good and kids are creatures of habit. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DD just got rid of her binkie at age 3, I am not going to let DS have his binkie after age 1. They get way too smart after age 1 about remembering things!
  • Options
    Co-sleeping from the beginning this time.  I was scared to last time and ended slowly transitioning into co-sleeping over the first few months.  I decided I would get a lot more sleep by starting it right away and I'm glad I have.  And I SAH now so thats different.  DS does fine with our schedule and when we deviate so we have been fortunate with that.
  • Options
    Haven't set out to purposely do anything differently. I don't freak over every little grunt in the middle of the night and am in general much more relaxed around a baby this time around. Guess that's different.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

DD1, Kathleen 9/15/2007

imageimage

• Options
    NOT rock LO to sleep! DS is 20 months old and I still have to rock him. Ugh...we never broke the habit. I'm sure I'll be rocking him in his dorm room one day. ::sigh::
  • Options
    I find that I am overall much more relaxed a willing to experiment with different things this time. One thing I am for sure doing is not getting in the habit of feeding my new one to get him to sleep. With my older one, I had a really hard time breaking that habit. Also, I am not letting this one nap in the swing because that was another nightmare to stop. I guess, in a nutshell, I am working on setting up better sleep habits for this one.
    old bumpie, new name ds1 3/2009 ds2 6/2011
  • Options

Ideally, I'd like this one in her crib...someday ;).  DS just skipped that and went straight from our bed to his.  We always loved cosleeping with him, but at three years old, he'd still rather be in our bed than his own (or have one of us in his bed with him).  I'm hoping he'll just magically decide we're no fun, and that he wants to be alone in his bed....I can dream, right?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

1. Swaddle. With DS1, we didn't think he liked being swaddled because it seemed he liked his arms out. When DS1 went to daycare at 12 weeks, they swaddled him and he slept like a champ. With DS2, we've been swaddling him and he seems to be sleeping a little more than when DS1 was an infant.

2. Limiting the time he sleeps in my arms. While I enjoyed snuggling with DS1 while he took his naps in my arms, it turned into a habit that my son expected with every nap. This was bad. I'll let DS2 sleep in my arms for 5-10 minutes but after that he goes in the pnp (for daytime naps downstairs).

3. Allow for noise during daytime naps. I was very quiet when DS1 took his naps (actually, I didn't really do anything because he usually slept in my arms). This created a very noise-sensitive baby. Since we have a toddler in the house, DS2 now sleeps with a lot of noise during his naps, which will help when he goes to daycare at 12 weeks.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Everything that nervusnell said, I agree. I work for a temp agency so I wasn't getting paid for my time off so i had no money and I struggle bad. I had to go back to work in four weeks after a c section. This time around I had it a little but more planned and I was abke to take off longer and be home with both of my kids.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"