Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

BF moms who also pump...when did you start?

I don't go back to work until November, but we're already thinking about building a milk stash and introducing the bottle to LO.  When did you start pumping in addition to BF, and when did you introduce a bottle?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: BF moms who also pump...when did you start?

• Options

I actually started pumping and then started BF straight from the boob. Totally backwards but seems to have worked fine. I find that I get a ton of milk right after a feeding. I think it's because he's already started the flow, so there's no waiting for letdown and such. Otherwise, I find my afternoon pump sessinos are best, even though they say 2am-6 is the best time to pump. My body must be backwards all around. We've never had real nipple confusion or anything, and he took right to teh bottle because he started on it at the NICU. I'd say try it and see what happens. Can't hurt.

I find that when DS is hungry, he might fight me for a minute or 2, but he eventually latches to whichever is there, because he's hungry enough.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imagesnoopy3319:

I actually started pumping and then started BF straight from the boob. Totally backwards but seems to have worked fine. I find that I get a ton of milk right after a feeding. I think it's because he's already started the flow, so there's no waiting for letdown and such. Otherwise, I find my afternoon pump sessinos are best, even though they say 2am-6 is the best time to pump. My body must be backwards all around. We've never had real nipple confusion or anything, and he took right to teh bottle because he started on it at the NICU. I'd say try it and see what happens. Can't hurt.

I find that when DS is hungry, he might fight me for a minute or 2, but he eventually latches to whichever is there, because he's hungry enough.

Same here! I started pumping first because he was in the NICU, and I just continued at home after every feeding. Sometimes it works out better because DH will feed him a pumped bottle while I pump and it makes the whole process faster. I get the most milk during the afternoon as well, I get about 4-5 ounces during that session and I think I could get more but the bottles I use are 2.5 ounces and they get filled up so I stop.  No nipple confusion here either so far, he will take boob or bottle.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

During my maternity leave I just randomly added a pump every now and then when LO was taking a longer nap and I knew it would be at least an hour or so until she ate again.

I pumped once a day, but not strictly, and not at the same time or anything. I had about 100 oz stocked up before going back to work. (and it ended up being a good thing, because I ended up in the hospital getting my gallbladder removed, and I had to pump and dump!)

photo image_zps90e45ea2.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I started after a few weeks, but for the next baby, I will probably wait.  It was stressful and really she just needed all of it anyways.  In the first 5-6 weeks, I probably pumped a total of 20 oz.  Then, once she hit 6 weeks and her eating needs leveled off, I was able to start getting ~6 oz./day from one pumping session in the morning.
  • Options
    About 2 weeks after. I wanted to start sooner but I needed to wait for the pump to arrive!n:)
  • Options
    i have pumped since i was in the hospital. my baby takes a bottle without a problem. im not working but i wanted to be able to leave the house. i think you'll do great. :)
    imageimage
  • Options

I had to start pumping one side as it was cracked pretty early on. So therefore I have a milk stash already, its not much but I would say I have 50 frozen 4 ounce packs. We introduced a bottle when he was around 3 weeks old as we were "cup" feeding after I would nurse him off the good side so he would still receive enough milk to fill him up since he was not nursing off one side of me.

He did fine with the bottle and the pacifier and has not had any issues with nipple confusion. We got the First Years Breastflow bottles as the lactation consultant said they were most like the breast.

My nipple has healed so I have been exclusively breast feeding DS for the past 2 weeks. The only time I pump now is if we are out and he has had a bottle.

I will be going back to work in October and am trying to determine if I will still breast feed once I go back. Of course I will pump while at work but I am not sure if I will try to nurse the time I am home before and after work.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    I have a lazy eater so they had me start pumping in the hospital to stimulate milk production. My milk came in  2 1/2 days after he was born. I breastfeed and then pump during the day. I have about 10 ounces stored in the freezer and it's been 5 days.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I started pumping after about 5 weeks.  I read to start building a stash ~3 weeks before returning to work.  My mat leave is 9 weeks, so that worked for me.  We started giving her 1 bottle per day at 7 weeks, before that we just randomly threw a bottle into the mix.  Now, I pump twice - once around midnight (she goes to bed at 9pm and wakes around 3-5am) and again in the AM once she's up for the day.

I currently have ~50oz in the freezer?  I would like to have more, but I wasn't so regimented with pumping, I should have been.   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    LO was born 7/16 and I started pumping 8/1. Back to school full time at 8/22. wish I had started pumping before 8/1 and wish I pumped more before going back to school.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Due to LO having jaundice in the hospital, I started pumping a day after he was born.  I'm still pumping and BFing now.  I usually pump about 10 ounces every time that I do.  Yes, I realize that is a lot.  I have no idea where my milk production comes from.. but I don't really have any complaints.  I was scared to death about BF because I thought it would hurt, but it's not bad at all.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"