Upstate NY Babies
Options

Eye Surgery

Tyler has been seeing a pediatric ophthalmologist every 6 months since he was about 9 months old due to his left eye turning up, called stubismus.  His eye turning up isn't consistant, it tends to act up when he is tired and only when he looks in certain directions.  Most people never notice it, it is kind of like being cross eyed.  His Dr suggests surgery to cut the muscle in the eye, and said we should do it before he enters kindergarden.  He said it isn't something that NEEDs to be done, but when a kid already has some issues socially like Ty, something cosmeticly wrong like this isn't going to help him in life.  Which I totally agree with!  I had been putting off the surgery over and over, but it is time to do it if we are going to do it by kindergarden.  Suddenly, I find myself questioning whether to do it.  It should be a no brainer, but it is still surgery which is mostly cosmetic.  Uhg.  Our next appt. is next week.

Re: Eye Surgery

• Options

I know someone whose daughter had this, and they had the surgery done when she turned 3. She did great and it turned out awesome. You can't tell at all that she ever had an issue.

Unfortunately, kids are so mean sometimes and I tend to agree that one more issue on top of others will just add to it. Nobody ever WANTS to see their kid have surgery, but if it is a quality of life issue, I would do it. Hope the next appointment goes well.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I can certainly understand your hesitation, because who WANTS to sign their kid up to have surgery. But I agree, kids can be cruel and because he doesn't always understand the social interactions the best, I wouldn't want to give anyone more cause to make him a target, just because they might not understand him. Good luck! I am sure the drs wouldn't advise it if they didn't feel it was the right choice.
    image        image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    First - this really isn't a no-brainer..or shouldn't be. So don't feel bad about that part!! But yeah..I agree with ppsers. We probably would do it.
  • Options
    Sounds like a good choice to have it done now.  Get it out of the way, then he can move on.  He won't have to go through any possible teasing or anything, and he's young and should recover quickly.  I think too that he might remember it less than if he had it later in life (especially if he got teased a lot).  And since he's in preschool, not a big deal if he misses a bunch of school to have it done.  Keep us posted!  Does insurance cover it since it is more cosmetic?
  • Options
    I work for an eye doctor and I suggest having it done. One of the reasons-the eye that has the strabismus will probably end up having worse vision (that if left untreated will be uncorrectable to anything near 20/20). The earlier you correct it, the better the brain will start to use that eye for vision as well so he'd have a better chance at clearer vision in that eye.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"