Upstate NY Babies
Options

NBR - Do you have your rings insured?

Or other jewelry for that matter?

K and I have never added our wedding sets to our home owner's insurance.  I have an appointment this evening to get our engagements rings as well as another ring I have appraised.  I'm not sure it's worth the appraisal costs to have the wedding bands appraised as well.

So if you have yours insured - did you insure the set? Just the engagement ring or one with the larger stone?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: NBR - Do you have your rings insured?

• Options
    Yes. I got a rider for the engagement ring. And the other rings are covered under the regular homeowners insurance.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Yep - but just mine. Our jeweler wrote a letter saying how much we paid. I changed the setting before we got married but we never updated it.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    yeah, we added my engagement ring to our homeowners back when we first got engaged. I believe we just needed the receipt, but it was so long ago I don't remember exactly. DH's ring isn't worth much more than $500, which is our deductible, so we never added it. My band should probably be added though.
  • Options

imageNikCole:
    yeah, we added my engagement ring to our homeowners back when we first got engaged. I believe we just needed the receipt, but it was so long ago I don't remember exactly. DH's ring isn't worth much more than $500, which is our deductible, so we never added it. My band should probably be added though.

I don't think the receipt would work for mine as we bought the diamond in NYC and then had it set separately.   I would guess it's more valuable together than the two pieces separately (just adding the receipts) kwim?

I've always wanted to have my family ring appraised as I'm super curious about its quality and value.  I guess I'll just do the big rings and save the bands for later.  Or maybe see of the receipts for the basic bands would work for the rider.

Thanks!

• Options
    We just recently added my "upgrade" to our insurance. Just gave them a copy of the appraisal and they added the jewelery floater to our account.
  • Options
    We added my engagement ring about 4 years after we were married. This was after I lost a diamond in mine and it was insane the amount it cost to replace it. Now it's on our home owners:) But I had to have it appraised. It was appraised much more than DH paid so go him, he got a good deal!

TTC since 6/2003. m/c 9/14/03 8 weeks, 5 chemical pregnancies, mmc 6/04 12 weeks, Michael born sleeping 5/25/05 at 22weeks always our angel, fought ovarian cancer and won, m/c 4/06 5.2 weeks and 7/07 6.6 weeks,Our Miracle baby girl born 4/8/10,mc 12/18/11 at 5.3 weeks, BFP 10/26/12 dating u/s on 11/8/12 showing a strong heartbeat!EDD July 4,2013. RCS on 6/27. Baby boy in NICU for 8 long and scary days before he was able to come home. We are now a happy family of 4

. imageimage

• Options

Lurker coming out to comment! :)

Yes I have my engagement ring appraised and it was detailed about every aspect.  Our insurance gal told us that if it just has the price, they can simply give you a ring that is the same price.  If it's detailed as to the design, types of diamonds and settings (mine has 2 pear shaped next to the center stone, etc) then they must replace it exactly. We did this for our bands as well.

Also, the above (about replacement) is true if it isn't on a separate rider. They have jewelry riders but if it's covered under the regular policy, they can just give you something of equal cost, not look/design. Not sure if that's important to you or not but thought I'd add it! :)

• Options

Ya, my engagement ring and wedding band are sodered together.  But we used to have mine and his wedding band thru Jewelers Mutual that the jewelry store offered.  We have no other jewelry of any value.  But earlier this summer when I got the yearly renewal, I gave our homeowners a call and asked how much it would be if we added it to them and it turned out to be like $25 a year cheaper so we switched it over.  The rings did need to be appraised bc they were over (I think 3?) yrs old, but since we still had the original receipts, the jewelry store appraised for free, so no big deal.

The one thing - I was kind of surprised about how much the appraisal would have been if we did not have the original receipts.  It was something like $100, which I have no idea if that is normal or not, but I was taken aback a bit. 

• Options

imageoctoberbridesrule:
    Yes. I got a rider for the engagement ring. And the other rings are covered under the regular homeowners insurance.

This is what we did.  DH got the appraisal from the jeweler when he bought the engagement ring.   

imageimage PHOTO Credit: Meryl :)Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Our rings are added to a jewelry policy on our homeowners.  This policy has no deductible and it's exact replacement.  The place we bought our rings appraised them for free and even told us to come in again when the cost of gold increased.  I'm so glad that we did!  We paid $850 for DH's ring and it was appraised at $2700 after the price of gold went up!
  • Options
    I do.  I had both appraised after the wedding.  Like pp mentioned, having it appraised ensures that if anything were to happen, you could get an identical ring regardless of cost rather than just the $ spent on the ring.  My engagement ring is an antique so even though I'll never get the same ring if something were to happen, I know I'll be bale to invest in another antique.  My wedding band was worth more than our deductible so I had that appraised and insured separately as well.  We didn't bother insuring DH's ring (it cost less than our deductible) and he's already on his third one!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    TRUST ME!  Get your rings insured.  Someday you might realize they are gone and then you're SOL.  :(
  • Options

imagemeryltheresa:
    TRUST ME!  Get your rings insured.  Someday you might realize they are gone and then you're SOL.  :(

Oh, I'm definitely doing it.  At $95 per ring I just hadn't had the extra cash to get it done (or made other things the priority) before now.  I didn't get our bands appraised but the jewelery store is going to contact the designer and get updated prices and will write up their own little appraisal for free.  I only paid the $95 for the rings with the big stones. 

• Options
    imageTwo*True:

imagemeryltheresa:

Oh, I'm definitely doing it.  At $95 per ring I just hadn't had the extra cash to get it done (or made other things the priority) before now.  I didn't get our bands appraised but the jewelery store is going to contact the designer and get updated prices and will write up their own little appraisal for free.  I only paid the $95 for the rings with the big stones. 

Good for you!  We didn't, and I lost mine right before L was born.  I still cry thinking about it.  They can be replaced, but those were mine you know?  It's heartbreaking.

• Options
    Yes, I have a rider for my engagement ring and another family piece that has several diamonds in it. I've been lazy about getting my and DH's wedding rings appraised so we can add it on. My wedding band is diamonds and platinum, and DH's is mostly platinum with some gold, so since they were kind of expensive, I should have them added on.
  • Options
    Mine is, but on a separate policy. We know someone who had theirs under their HOI and after placing a claim for the ring got dropped from their HOI.
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"