Upstate NY Babies
Options

1st Birthday Party - WWYD?

So, I am working on planning Charlotte's birthday party. It is going to be Oct 22 - I picked the date out in July because I had to make sure it was one my husband was off. I can't decide about who to invite though. Both our families live about an hour away. I wanted to do something including our aunts and uncles but my mom seemed to think that my family at least wouldn't want to make the drive. So I had kind of resigned myself to it being us, our parents and brothers and sisters, making it about 12 people total. Which would be perfectly fine. Then my mom called and said we could have the party at her house if we wanted, so that her family would be able to come more easily. I don't really want to do that because I would rather just be able to get my house ready and decorate etc when I want, plus I don't want to have to cart all the food there and then bring a truckload of gifts home. But if I don't invite my grandmother and my aunts and two little cousins, I know they will have a party for her the next time we go up there. So my options here are:

A. Keep it to just the small family gathering

B. Have the party at my mother's house to make it more convenient for my family, and the same travel distance for Kevin's family

C. Have the bigger party at my house (about 27 people) even though it is a long haul for everyone and then just take the chance that some people won't feel like coming out for the drive, esp based on the weather

Food shouldn't be that big of a deal. I am thinking I will do a variety of soups (right now I am thinking chili, smashed potato (which is creamy) and maybe minestrone (broth-based)) so that should be easy to make for a crowd. Of course this is subect to change... haha

image        image

Re: 1st Birthday Party - WWYD?

• Options

I think C and then leave it up to the guests to decide if they want to make the drive.  That way no one is excluded but it will be easier because it's at your house and you aren't carting a baby, plus food and decorations. 

And what is this smashed potato soup?  I'm on a soup kick today and this sounds pretty yummy.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    I would do option C- invite everyone to one party at your house. Even though people live an hour away, I would think most would still come... it's not like it's 3 hours.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Smashed Potato Soup is a WW recipe my mom found. Way back when I used to blog, I typed the recipe up:

https://bigfatmessylife.blogspot.com/2009/10/smashed-potato-soup.html

image        image
  • Options
    I would do C and just tell them that you know the drive is a pain so you'd understand if they can't make it.
  • Options
    I would do C as well. My family is an hour away and we invited all of them for DDs 1st bday and most of them made the trip out for it which was great! I'd leave it up to them to decide.
  • Options
    Totally C. You won't know how your DD will do that day anyway. Best to be at home.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I would do C, also. My family is mostly 45 min away and they all came for our girls' parties. Like pp said, that way you don't have to worry about so many extra logistics. Everything you could possibly need would be at your house. Molly even took a nap during her 1st bday party, it was nice to just put her in her own room!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Definitely C.  DH's whole family is all an hour away and we were pleasantly surprised that so many made the drive for her 1st bday.
  • Options
    My vote is for C too...they will make the drive if they want to.  
    imageimage PHOTO Credit: Meryl :)Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

another vote for C...you want to make it easy on you and lugging food and trying to decorate someone else's house (even your mom's) is a pain...

let the family decide if they want to drive or not... 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"